Cutting Rib Eyes

Alberta is a Northern extension of the North American "beef belt." Texas is the Southern end. They can stay out all year down here. If wild grasses are depleted, they just add hay or straw for the cattle to eat. That happens more with drought than with cold weather. There is a 3,000 acre ranch a few blocks from my house. They move the cattle around from pasture to pasture to let the natural grasses grow back.

Canada has respectable cattle production, with 12,000 at any given time. NZ is not far behind at 10,000. Texas alone has about 13,000.

CD

I'm on another site where they talked about cattle mainly laying on a certain side, near or off to use horse terms. Some say getting meat from one side as that muscles are used more so the meat is more tender??? I'm in two minds about that?

Russ

I'm on another site where they talked about cattle mainly laying on a certain side, near or off to use horse terms. Some say getting meat from one side as that muscles are used more so the meat is more tender??? I'm in two minds about that?

Russ

The more a muscle is used, the less tender it will be, but it tends to have more flavor. Less used muscles, like the tenderloin, are more tender, but have less beef flavor.

CD

Brinkmann Ranch had a herd of Longhorn cattle in the pasture closest to Main Street today as I drove by. It was raining, so I couldn't snap a photo.

CD

Another thing is that looks pretty healthy. I would make suet out of whatever fat you remove.

T

Picked up a bit of Texas cow yesterday. NY Strip. Nicely trimmed.

IMG_1445.JPG

CD

What breed of cattle would that be from?

Probably Angus. That is the dominant breed these days. There is a large herd of longhorns couple of blocks from my house, but I don't know why. Their hides are beautiful, and of course, they have the incredible horns. I have no idea what the meat is like.

CD

I read that the major difference in Angus is the color of their hide.

It is actually a Scottish breed but how would that make it any better ? They do seem to grow a bit bigger.

I am on thtis group of audiophiles, the $50,000 stereo types. One said he is trying that Wagyu beef and had pictures. Looking at it I am not sure I would like it, first of all because the fat has to be cooked off some, and I like beef rare. I mean really rare. That is also a reason for me to buy whole tenderloins. A whole ribeye would be nice, but that would be for the normal people who want their beef cooked.

Ribeyes are really good, I'll eat them. But I think a Wagyu one would be more fat than meant.

T

The fat is soft fat. It starts to melt with just the heat from your fingertip. We got some once. They were really, really, really nice steaks but at triple plus the price not something we'll be eating even rarely. They were boneless rib eyes and my birthday dinner if I remember correctly.

I read that the major difference in Angus is the color of their hide.

It is actually a Scottish breed but how would that make it any better ? They do seem to grow a bit bigger.

I am on thtis group of audiophiles, the $50,000 stereo types. One said he is trying that Wagyu beef and had pictures. Looking at it I am not sure I would like it, first of all because the fat has to be cooked off some, and I like beef rare. I mean really rare. That is also a reason for me to buy whole tenderloins. A whole ribeye would be nice, but that would be for the normal people who want their beef cooked.

Ribeyes are really good, I'll eat them. But I think a Wagyu one would be more fat than meant.

T

I have no idea what Angus beef has over other breeds. I just know it tastes good. I have not had Waygu, yet. It is on my to-do list. The fat is what makes it good, from what I hear. You just eat small portions.

I used to be into all that audio stuff, and still have my "home theater." My stuff is not anything special. I still have my old school Klipsch Forte main speakers, but had to go with their newer stuff to get to 7.1 surround. Nothing like Klipsch horns for transparency. My Carver Amplifiers also finally gave up on me, and didn't work into my new plans. I hate to say it, but I switched to Yamaha when I went 7.1. Life goes on.

CD

Back
Top Bottom