Damaged Herbs

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:06 PM
Question I’ve long wanted to ask…take a look at these fresh basil leaves, plucked from my own back garden:

IMG_5097.jpeg

The one on the left, the dark spots were on it while still on the plant, so it’s not the usual oxidation from cutting a leaf, and I purposely picked it for this question…would you use that or discard it?

Same with leaves that have a hole or two where maybe a bug has eaten through…do you use those?

Last, that one on the right…would you trim that stem off or use it as-is? For reference, that leaf is about the size of a toenail on a big toe.

I tend to get a little obsessive about fresh herbs (like pulling individual thyme leaves off), so sometimes, I don’t use them just because I don’t have the time to really go through them, piece (or leaf) by leaf.

Am I overly concerned with little trivial nicks and spots, or do you also throw those out as substandard?

Question I’ve long wanted to ask…take a look at these fresh basil leaves, plucked from my own back garden:

View attachment 102586

The one on the left, the dark spots were on it while still on the plant, so it’s not the usual oxidation from cutting a leaf, and I purposely picked it for this question…would you use that or discard it?

Same with leaves that have a hole or two where maybe a bug has eaten through…do you use those?

Last, that one on the right…would you trim that stem off or use it as-is? For reference, that leaf is about the size of a toenail on a big toe.

I tend to get a little obsessive about fresh herbs (like pulling individual thyme leaves off), so sometimes, I don’t use them just because I don’t have the time to really go through them, piece (or leaf) by leaf.

Am I overly concerned with little trivial nicks and spots, or do you also throw those out as substandard?
I usually have such an abundance of perfect leaves I discard ones with black spots or holes in them (I've got 3 basil plants growing). But if I had only one plant with very few leaves I'd probably use ones with insect nibbles (with a good rinse) and cut off the black and yellow discolored areas on the leaf (left) above. The leaf on the right--yes, if the stem was tender and not woody I'd use it.

I buy herbs in huge bunches, at ridiculously low prices, and therefore discard loads of them.
I also get to choose only the most beautiful leaves, so the one on the right wouldn't even get a look in.
However, cut herbs tend to deteriorate/oxidise very quickly, and in the US/UK, you get very few in a packet. cut off the nasty bits and use the rest. Then stick the rest on a tray and put them in the sun tomorrow, so they dry out.
Not the same as fresh, but pretty close.

I would happily use the one on the left if I was short on supply. It's the same with my lemons. Some have holes eaten into them by the ants. I'm only not use them if they are discoloured on the inside. I've no issues eating stalks or stems either, so didn't even realise you thought there was an issue with the one on the right!

I try not to fall into the supermarket "perfect veg & fruit" trap. It's why nearly 40% of what's grown is discarded before it even reaches supermarket shelves.

I would happily use the one on the left if I was short on supply. It's the same with my lemons. Some have holes eaten into them by the ants. I'm only not use them if they are discoloured on the inside. I've no issues eating stalks or stems either, so didn't even realise you thought there was an issue with the one on the right!

I try not to fall into the supermarket "perfect veg & fruit" trap. It's why nearly 40% of what's grown is discarded before it even reaches supermarket shelves.

There are some stores that have "Imperfect Fruit and Vegetable" sections, with lowered prices. I don't have one near me, but if I did, I'd buy that stuff.

CD

There are some stores that have "Imperfect Fruit and Vegetable" sections, with lowered prices. I don't have one near me, but if I did, I'd buy that stuff.

CD
I often buy them. Their carrots especially have a tendency to be tastier. The zucchini and cucumbers are fine, though occasionally the cucumber skins are a bit thicker but I've only once had to peel one instead of eat as is. We get lemons, limes, orange, apples and capsicum peppers at our "local" store. There are usually 2 ends of the vegetable isles set aside for "odd jobs" as they call them. About the only thing I don't get are the lemons. I really don't need anymore if them than I already have.

(Plus growing my own fruit & veg (+ herbs) means I often eat odd shaped imperfect stuff! I'd have to throw almost all of it away if I was worried about looks. )

I'm try to get some photos tomorrow if I go shopping with hubby.

I try not to fall into the supermarket "perfect veg & fruit" trap. It's why nearly 40% of what's grown is discarded before it even reaches supermarket shelves
I absolutely hate and despise that "perfect" concept. Profligate waste just so the shelves look pretty, farmers getting almost half their crops wasted, aargghh!!

I absolutely hate and despise that "perfect" concept. Profligate waste just so the shelves look pretty, farmers getting almost half their crops wasted, aargghh!!
The feeling is mutual shared.
I'm lucky that my supermarket will sell "odd jobs" and has a reasonable range as well, but way too much is wasted.

Back
Top Bottom