Decorating cupcakes piping bags

Frostingcupcakes

Local time
8:13 AM
What are your thoughts on disposable plastic piping bags that are half textured and half see though from the outside? The textured side is for grip and the see through side allows you to see the colors and air bubbles of the frosting. Do you like piping bags with textured grip? I personally think this would be a good idea, but let me know what you guys think!

Piping kit.jpg

This it the one that I got. Note that all the tips are of a tough plastic, meaning that they are tough. & there will be no rust, as with the metal tips. Also, it has its own stand to make filling the bags easy. And its own little cleaning brush. :wink:

Last edited:
I have a thick white plastic piping bag with interchangeable tips - one side is smooth and the other is textured but to be honest I don't notice that its that much more "grippy" than the smooth side. I don't go in for intricate designs though....my piping skills are pretty basic, so maybe I'm not the best judge :laugh:

But I really don't like the idea of disposable bags - it seems very wasteful when we should all be trying to cut down on plastic use, especially single-use plastic.

I've been using the Wilton clear bags for a while and have never had any grip issues. I still have some of the white multi use bags but prefer the disposable simply because I don't do much piping anymore. If I still did a lot of cake decorating it wouldn't be economical to use a disposable bag, not to mention the plastic waste issue, but for a couple times a year...eh.

I've never had an issue with Wilton tips rusting. What brand have you been using @Shermie ?

I've been using the Wilton clear bags for a while and have never had any grip issues. I still have some of the white multi use bags but prefer the disposable simply because I don't do much piping anymore. If I still did a lot of cake decorating it wouldn't be economical to use a disposable bag, not to mention the plastic waste issue, but for a couple times a year...eh.

I've never had an issue with Wilton tips rusting. What brand have you been using @Shermie ?

Mastrad. It's a French co. Got them from Amazon.

Oh, that was just a big bag with a large tip that I used to keep with the other gadgets in a tool box. The box itself has since rusted on the bottom. I threw it away & began using the orange plastic tool box.

I'm not a big fan of anything that is disposable because if the environmental side if things. It's really not that difficult to turn a piping bag inside to clean it.

I do actually have a frosting bag with interchangeable tips. It's reuseable and very similar to what you describe. I've had it for several decades now. It saw much more use early on when my brother and sister and friend's children were much younger. Everyone would come to me to get birthday cakes. But I've not got any digital pictures of the cakes I used to make, at least none easily available.

I prefer the reusable, Wilton brand. I have disposable, they tend to break easily. I do feel guilty about the waste.

Back
Top Bottom