Deep Fryers - do you use one?

Ok my frier has a lid that covers it all up. I use mainly for twice fried chips. However I deep fry croquettes and samosas. Or fresh fish. I clean out by pouring through muslin especially after croquettes as the crumbs seem to stay in the frier. Hardly ever replace as last time I topped it up it was nearly 2 litres. I also make fried chicken southern style with bread crumbs.

Russ

When we had our deep fryer it sat out on the balcony all the time. We changed out the oil when it looked dark or if we cooked fish. Sometimes it would be in there for a couple of months.

Good. I'm now feeling more confident to fill it up with oil and leave it between uses, filtering if necessary. :okay:

You probably eat a lot of "unwelcome guests" that you don't realize. The government allows a certain amount of insect parts in the processed food you eat.
You're probably right!

And, after seeing all the replies, it seems that I've been overly cautious. I'm sure fast food places routinely keep oil in the fryers for extended periods.

You're probably right!

And, after seeing all the replies, it seems that I've been overly cautious. I'm sure fast food places routinely keep oil in the fryers for extended periods.

There are some places that have "grease" over 100 years old! Saw a show where burgers are cooked in this grease.

I have a tiny deep-fat fryer. It only cooks one portion of anything at a time. I use it once a fortnight, once a week at most. It has a lid and I only ever change the oil in it when it goes dark. I only filter the oil if I cook something that is breaded or battered in it which isn't very often. The last time I cooked anything like that in it was when we cooked chicken kievs in the cookalong challenge July/August 2017. The oil has only been changed twice since and is still lovely and clear.
However, it may depend what oil you use. I only buy rapeseed oil or sunflower oil for deep-frying (the 5-litre bottles with an enormous shelf life) - other oils just don't seem to keep for as long either in the bottle or in the fryer.

I have a tiny deep-fat fryer. It only cooks one portion of anything at a time. I use it once a fortnight, once a week at most. It has a lid and I only ever change the oil in it when it goes dark. I only filter the oil if I cook something that is breaded or battered in it which isn't very often. The last time I cooked anything like that in it was when we cooked chicken kievs in the cookalong challenge July/August 2017. The oil has only been changed twice since and is still lovely and clear.
However, it may depend what oil you use. I only buy rapeseed oil or sunflower oil for deep-frying (the 5-litre bottles with an enormous shelf life) - other oils just don't seem to keep for as long either in the bottle or in the fryer.

I usually refrigerate the oil when I use it. Doing this helps the oil stay fresh & keeps it from spoiling or turning rancid. :wink:

I usually refrigerate the oil when I use it. Doing this helps the oil stay fresh & keeps it from spoiling or turning rancid. :wink:
My kitchen is for most of the year so cool it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference my leaving it in the fryer. In fact in really cold weather my kitchen can be colder than the fridge. Some oils solidify if kept too cold. The cheapest way to make olive oil spread is to put some in the fridge, although it turns white as it has no colouring in it.

My kitchen is for most of the year so cool it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference my leaving it in the fryer. In fact in really cold weather my kitchen can be colder than the fridge. Some oils solidify if kept too cold. The cheapest way to make olive oil spread is to put some in the fridge, although it turns white as it has no colouring in it.

I let it stay in the fryer until it's cool enough to pour in a container, to avoid being scalded or burned. :wink:

I don't own one. Honestly, we rarely eat fried food. Colleen has ulcerative colitis. Greasy foods bother her. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I mostly stay away from that stuff as well.

We do occasionally cook "oven fried" foods

One of my grand nephews can't eat fried foods. He would get stomach pains so bad that he had to take some Pepto Bizmal!! He's also allergic to seafoods!! :ohmy::headshake:

I don't own one. Honestly, we rarely eat fried food. Colleen has ulcerative colitis. Greasy foods bother her. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I mostly stay away from that stuff as well.

We do occasionally cook "oven fried" foods

Diverticulitis..... something to do with flux capacitor??

Russ

Back
Top Bottom