Defining cremini mushrooms

Exploring the Mushroom Caves of the Loire Valley Food in France
A fascinating glimpse! On my commute totally absorbed in reading about the growth!
Actually the article encouraged me to state how we call the white button mushrooms: champignons...

Remembered I visited Loire valley! In 1993. Beautiful! Had no idea of shrooms underground!

Even found pictures! Not the exact spot, but the region...

Shots are from the linked article.

Posters please note that in the UK we don't have anything called (labelled) cremini (or crimini) mushrooms. To complicate things we have something called chestnut mushrooms, which look similar to baby portobello. Here, baby portobello are called portabellini. There is also a fad to label what seem to be chestnut or baby portobello as 'woodland' mushrooms!

Types of button/portobello/chestnut mushrooms available from Ocado supermarket:

Posters please note that in the UK we don't have anything called (labelled) cremini (or crimini) mushrooms. To complicate things we have something called chestnut mushrooms, which look similar to baby portobello. Here, baby portobello are called portabellini. There is also a fad to label what seem to be chestnut or baby portobello as 'woodland' mushrooms!

This does not surprise me. Look at zucchini and courgette, or eggplant and aubergine. Same things, different names.

So... cremini = baby portobello = portabellini. Clear as mud. :laugh:

CD

Oh, Ive been to a mushroom barn. Yes, they are dark and humid. The smell is quite... um... noticeable. Take a big box of sweaty socks, put them in a room with 20 wet dogs -- you are getting close.

CD
Yep, I've been on pig farms, poultry farms, grew up near steel mills reeking of sulphur...nothing comes close to the stink a mushroom growing operation makes.

We used to live in Delaware, and my wife liked to drive up to Amish country In Pennsylvania a lot, and the quickest route went right through a huge mushroom-producing area.

I took that route twice, and then deemed it undriveable and took the long way after that.

Yep, I've been on pig farms, poultry farms, grew up near steel mills reeking of sulphur...nothing comes close to the stink a mushroom growing operation makes.

We used to live in Delaware, and my wife liked to drive up to Amish country In Pennsylvania a lot, and the quickest route went right through a huge mushroom-producing area.

I took that route twice, and then deemed it undriveable and took the long way after that.

Big factory farm poultry farms smell the worst, IMO.

CD

I think it's the substrate and perhaps any gases released that smells, right? Not the actual mushrooms.

Exploring the Mushroom Caves of the Loire Valley Food in France
A fascinating glimpse! On my commute totally absorbed in reading about the growth!
Actually the article encouraged me to state how we call the white button mushrooms: champignons...

Remembered I visited Loire valley! In 1993. Beautiful! Had no idea of shrooms underground!

Even found pictures! Not the exact spot, but the region...View attachment 59915
Shots are from the linked article.View attachment 59916
View attachment 59917

View attachment 59918

I also visited those caves and bought some dried mushrooms which I believe I still have.

One of my customers was meadow mushrooms, about a 25 min drive from me. They have been there 30 plus years in a small town called prebbleton. Over the years the new people objected to the smell and forced them to relocate to the middle of nowhere. People knew the factory was there so why complain. I used to get a bag of shrooms every Friday afternoon free. I was considered staff.
My preference was white buttons.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom