Designated cook?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:33 AM
Not a complaint but something that just happens, when we go away I get lumbered with cooking. 9 of us were staying in motel units and I always get asked for a list of food I want to,cook with. First night was snacks and pizza, next morning full English for 9 , 1 minus shrooms. I cooked for all and got great comments how good everything was. That night was BBQ I cooked burgers chops bacon n eggs for the burgers. I had help ferrying food from BBQ to our upstairs unit. Next morning I cooked bacon n eggs for our sammys later at the races. People know I love cooking so it just falls on me. Does this happen with your friends????

I forgot to add, I worked with limited equipment, no fry pan, very small pots, very slow toaster, so it really was a precise planned meal feeding 3 people at a time. Eggs poached in a pot, very difficult with non stick pot!! Lost 3 eggs to sticking. Eggs were perfect I was told.

Russ

No, not at all. I like cooking for myself and my wife, but I generally won't cook for anyone else.

Would/could you cook for 9 ??

Russ
Apart from making a cake or a single dish for a potluck, no. I would never cook for nine people.

The most I would consider cooking for these days is four, and even that isn't something I enjoy. Folks in my/my wife's families are too picky for a start, and this one can't have onions and that one can't have peppers and that other one won't eat something else, there's just no pleasing people.

Beyond that, if anyone made the slightest negative comment about something I worked to make for them, I'd simultaneously feel terrible and throw them out of the house. :)

I wouldn't cook for 9 people by myself. I'd need at least on other cook.

On the other hand, I used to go to Teardrop Camper gatherings with with anywhere from 20 people to 200 people. We were on our own for most meals, but we ate one meal all together. We did that pot-luck style, so you only had to cook one thing -- for a lot of people.

I have a theory that people who like camping, also like cooking. And, we always had way too much food. Most of it was very good.

I've also done crawfish boils for a large group, but they aren't that hard to do, and I always have one or two other people who know how to cook that help out.

CD

I wouldn't cook for 9 people by myself. I'd need at least on other cook.

On the other hand, I used to go to Teardrop Camper gatherings with with anywhere from 20 people to 200 people. We were on our own for most meals, but we ate one meal all together. We did that pot-luck style, so you only had to cook one thing -- for a lot of people.

I have a theory that people who like camping, also like cooking. And, we always had way too much food. Most of it was very good.

I've also done crawfish boils for a large group, but they aren't that hard to do, and I always have one or two other people who know how to cook that help out.

CD

I would agree on your theory, growing up poor we never went anywhere. First time out of my town when I was 13?? Or 14??. Everyone I went to school with went camping or had holidays, we didn't. So I always swore my kids would not go through what I did. We went camping every Xmas break. Our fave was a place called quinneys bush. It's still going now 35 years on. No power when we went, all solar showers and power for the 41/2 inch b and w tv. Via the car battery. Gas cooking and lighting. My kids still talk about the good times there growing up. Swimming in the river with flying foxes etc.
It's all fancy now and we drive past it every time when we holiday in Nelson now. My roast chicken on a two burner gas cooked was a thing of beauty.

Russ

When I BBQ (not grilling) or do steamed crabs or a crawfish boil, I don't want any help with the main focus.

Back
Top Bottom