Dhal Dahl daal, whatever you call it

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:43 AM
I'm looking for a tried and true recipe for something like a channa dhal especially the spice mix that goes in at the end. We used to have an Indian joint here that made the best ever. It never opened up again after the earthquakes here.
I've tried a few from the net but nothing I like.
SatNavSaysStraightOn or morning glory i know you like this sort of food, help please??

Russ

Here you go. I've cooked this loads of times, so it probably changes slightly every time I do it, but here's the basic recipe I adapted from Mrs Shukla. If you decide to add a "topping" (called Tarka, or Tadka) at the end, just heat up some butter/ghee/oil, add some thinly sliced onions ( and/or cumin seeds) and fry until crispy, then pour it on top of the dhal.
Chole (Punjabi Chickpea Dhal) or Chana Dhal

Often, the punjabi cooks add a teabag to the dish while it's cooking, which will turn it dark!

Here you go. I've cooked this loads of times, so it probably changes slightly every time I do it, but here's the basic recipe I adapted from Mrs Shukla. If you decide to add a "topping" (called Tarka, or Tadka) at the end, just heat up some butter/ghee/oil, add some thinly sliced onions ( and/or cumin seeds) and fry until crispy, then pour it on top of the dhal.
Chole (Punjabi Chickpea Dhal) or Chana Dhal

Often, the punjabi cooks add a teabag to the dish while it's cooking, which will turn it dark!

Thanks so much. It sounds like the one I want.

Russ

And here is another which also includes recipe for the topping (tarka):

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/chana-tarka-dal.22412/

1694733824257.png

I will try the different types. Itsca whooe dish by itself. I could eat a whole bowl.
I need to get it right.
Many thanks all. :)

Russ

What is an "instant pot"?
It’s an insanely popular multi-cooker, basically a newfangled pressure cooker, but with slow cooker, air fryer, bread-baking, yogurt-making, steamer, and sautéing capabilities built in.

Back
Top Bottom