Different rice dishes

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
4:13 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
[Mod.Edit - This post and the following few have been moved to form a new thread]

Cool. I bought saffron bulbs but unfortunately they won't bloom in time... (I'm planting them in May.)

But I'll be thinking of doing something with some I'll purchase. It won't be risotto - I dislike watery rice. But I've ideas...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. I bought saffron bulbs but unfortunately they won't bloom in time... (I'm planting them in May.)

But I'll be thinking of doing something with some I'll purchase. It won't be risotto - I dislike watery rice. But I've ideas...

It takes a lot of flowers to get enough stigma...

Risotto done correctly is not "watery." It's creamy, rich and luscious, with just enough liquid not to be gloppy and gluey.

It takes a lot of flowers to get enough stigma...

Yes, that will be the problem. And is why it is so expensive, as there's no way to do it quickly or other than manually. I figure for myself I won't be using it all that often that I won't be paying myself... (chuckle). Anyhow, I do plan on buying some for this interesting challenge.

Risotto done correctly is not "watery." It's creamy, rich and luscious, with just enough liquid not to be gloppy and gluey.

It may well be that I've never eaten good risotto. Quite possible and even likely. I do have to say the only rice I've really enjoyed has come from Asian cultures - I'm not even fond of Mexican dirty rice all that much. (I do know about the wet porridge style that ends up in many Japanese breakfasts, but I've actually yet to try that.)

(I do know about the wet porridge style that ends up in many Japanese breakfasts, but I've actually yet to try that.)

If you don't like "watery" rice, you definitely won't like congee, which is Chinese. There is also a Japanese porridge with a different name, but most Americans are more familiar with congee. They are very, very similar.

Yes, that will be the problem. And is why it is so expensive, as there's no way to do it quickly or other than manually. I figure for myself I won't be using it all that often that I won't be paying myself... (chuckle). Anyhow, I do plan on buying some for this interesting challenge.

It may well be that I've never eaten good risotto. Quite possible and even likely. I do have to say the only rice I've really enjoyed has come from Asian cultures - I'm not even fond of Mexican dirty rice all that much. (I do know about the wet porridge style that ends up in many Japanese breakfasts, but I've actually yet to try that.)

Dirty rice is a Cajun/ Creole thing. I've never heard of Mexican dirty rice.

Dirty rice is a Cajun/ Creole thing. I've never heard of Mexican dirty rice.

Yes, you are correct. It is indeed Creole/Cajun - although some "Mexican" restaurants around here serve it and call it that. (Do not trust most New England Mexican restaurants, a couple exceptions but overall, they do seem to put "dirty rice" on their menus.) But yes, I mis-spoke.

&&&&

Oh, and the word I was looking for regarding the other dish was indeed Congee.

Risotto is not watery, it is creamy.

I'm not awfully keen on risotto either and I have had some very good ones and do appreciate how it should be - but then I'm not a huge fan of creamy things in general.

My favourite rice dish would have to be biryani which can be sensational if correctly cooked.

I'm not awfully keen on risotto either and I have had some very good ones and do appreciate how it should be - but then I'm not a huge fan of creamy things in general.

My favourite rice dish would have to be biryani which can be sensational if correctly cooked.

Of course, the risotto may not have fans, in fact I was referring to the risotto done well, like the biryani when it is correctly cooked

I do a special dish for my family. We are all seafood and fish related lovers. Hence why I looked into the "Asian" kitchen. So a while back I tried to create Salmon Caviar over Rice. I still do this to this very day.

1. In a heavy, 2-quart saucepan with a heavy tight-fitting lid, melt the butter over high heat, then cook the onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon parsley until sizzling, stirring, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook 1 minute. Pour in the water and salt, stir, and then fold in the salmon fillet pieces and sage leaves. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 12 minutes.

2. Transfer the rice to individual serving bowls and remove the sage leaves. On top of the rice, in the center, sprinkle the chopped egg to form a circle. In the middle of the egg place a dollop of salmon caviar. Surround the egg with a circle made from the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve immediately.

If you still find interest in the dish there is a video for you
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHtxrBg20Ro
Well I think this pretty much wraps up what we in the family enjoy to eat.

I do a special dish for my family. We are all seafood and fish related lovers. Hence why I looked into the "Asian" kitchen. So a while back I tried to create Salmon Caviar over Rice. I still do this to this very day.

1. In a heavy, 2-quart saucepan with a heavy tight-fitting lid, melt the butter over high heat, then cook the onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon parsley until sizzling, stirring, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook 1 minute. Pour in the water and salt, stir, and then fold in the salmon fillet pieces and sage leaves. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 12 minutes.

2. Transfer the rice to individual serving bowls and remove the sage leaves. On top of the rice, in the center, sprinkle the chopped egg to form a circle. In the middle of the egg place a dollop of salmon caviar. Surround the egg with a circle made from the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve immediately.

If you still find interest in the dish there is a video for you
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHtxrBg20Ro
Well I think this pretty much wraps up what we in the family enjoy to eat.
Hey, I would like to know why was my link removed? My youtube link can stay but where I got my Caviar can't? I mean, I get the whole anti-spam thing. It's just not fair. How come other users can post links and I can't?

"Nasi, nasi, nasi, hari hari nasi" in Bahasa, "Khow, khow, khow, tuk tuk wan khow" in Thai.

Rice, rice, rice, everyday bloody rice!

Here we have steamed rice, boiled rice (rice soup), sticky rice, fried rice, rice noodles and congee. Generally it's Jasmine rice but brown and red rice are becoming increasingly popular. I use Jasmine rice for Indian aromatic rice but Thais would likely turn their nose up at that.

aromatic rice s.jpg

Aromatic yellow rice.

Back
Top Bottom