Dining Etiquette

I'm obviously too generous, I pick up the tab pretty much most if the time, we've never charged or been charged for what we eat. If as a family we order in we take it in turns, me, daughter and son.
I had a pet peeve where my mate served us cheap food and I thought it a bit rude but others on here said to roll with it. We just don't eat there when asked. They stil get invited here though.
I'm due to do a honky hangi later in the year for 20? People, I will pay for everything. No problem I only do it every few years.

Russ

These tales of dinner guests walking away with food remind me of my days with room mates who stole my food and didn't buy their own. It prevented me from planning meals and I eventually had to cease having food in the fridge and cupboards, - eventually, moving out.

Student budgets can't afford food theft from room mates.

I will always host including the total expense (unless, I want to give a wait and see dig to my sister) and am happy to do so. My DH and I have ALWAYS picked up the tab when dining out with family (unless my Dad is there) and friends We don't win the tab with some of our generous friends though. Want to talk about yelling and grabbing/waving the check and credit card? It's all good. It's taken me a very long time to stand up and not be aggravated.

I believe in splitting the bill, never let a guy buy me dinner or lunch anywhere. With my 17 year old sister, I always pay, because she doesn't work. Eating out with family is rare, in the rare occasion where it happens my parents will usually foot the bill.

Here's a good example that requires a necessary food etiquette solution.

How do you deal with those loose spaghetti or fettuccine noodles that don't perfectly roll up on your fork and dangle, sometimes flinging sauce droplets all over you, the table, the floor and anything else within shot?

I usually always roll those noodles onto a fork, but they only rarely roll on perfectly without dangling noodles. My solution has been to do the best I can, sometimes holding the plate under my face, and then, cutting the noodles with my fork and finishing by forking up small bite size portions of what is left.

Now, I think we can agree that this is a very messy issue and is not the sort of food to be eaten in bed, as another thread questions how many eat in bed. A well clean open table, possibly with an easily cleaned mat is preferable.

What to do?
My response to the spaghetti conundrum: I NEVER order it out, or plan to eat it anywhere that someone can see me cutting up the spaghettis with my knife and fork. How I eat at home, no one sees!

Interestingly, I can do chopsticks quite awesomely for a variety of eastern Asian foods. (Enough so that the staff at a Korean restaurant once complemented me on this).I simply have not developed the spaghettis fork twirling technique.

Back
Top Bottom