Dish of the month: Croquettes (any shape!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose it's water and fibre. Most sources indicate that potato, depending on how it's cooked, is around 40% carb. Parsnip is about 20%, and my new favourite potato substitute, celeriac is only 2.8%.

It's funny you bought up parsnip, ours here are so sweet ATM. Store bought. When getting pumpkin from fridge I spotted the parsnip and considered using that instead of the pumpkin. Next time it's parsnip.

Russ

They're regularly stocked at Kroger here. I like them, especially in the Fall. I roast them with potatoes and turnips and carrots.

I'll have to give them a try. Now, I hate carrots (thanks to my mom practically force feeding them to us as kids), so hopefully they won't be too close in flavor.

My mom had bad eyesight all her life, so she overloaded us on carrots so we wouldn't. We now know that has no basis in science, but she believed it then. She even made me carrot cake on my birthday every year. It's not that carrots really taste bad, but bad memories can ruin a food.

That's not why I have never eaten parsnips. And, I will give them a try before I pass judgement.

CD

so hopefully they won't be too close in flavor.

No - nothing like carrots - its far more complex. They do have a sweet edge but its more subtle and earthy. It has a slightly spicy flavour too - a little like nutmeg and with a trace of anise. Indeed, adding nutmeg or an anise based spice or herb enhances their flavour. They also love butter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom