Dish of the month (May): suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I'd like to point out to people that if you're finding hot soups too hot for your part of the world, cold salads are likely too darn cold for here right now. We've a colder than normal cold snap starting tonight. That cold we'll likely be lighting the wood burner it the next few days (2-3°C forecast).

I'll stick with my original (Asian) dumplings, so not the suet type, really hard to get vegetable suet here for some reason. Seems to be a European thing from what I can tell and has disappeared from the international isle of the supermarket shopping along with Coleman's mustard powder.

I'm happy with macaroni cheese (mac 'n cheese in the US). Its been on the waiting list for a while. I've not made one in ages and have various ingredients which could be added to 'elevate' it. That includes vegetarian/vegan ingredients in my case SatNavSaysStraightOn.

Tacos don't interest me but I'm not counting negative votes!

So far these specific dishes have had most the positive mentions:

Dumplings (any sort): 3 positive
Macaroni cheese: 4 positive
Tacos: 4 positive

So far these specific dishes have had most the positive mentions:

Dumplings (any sort): 3 positive
Macaroni cheese: 4 positive
Tacos: 4 positive
Do we have a tie? I'm happy with any of those 3 but tacos are less limited that Mac & cheese for me. I've only the 1 good recipe on that front which is basically a dairy free pasta sauce served over pasta. It can't go back into the oven for a reheat without losing a lot of taste. But I've not made tacos before so would need to research and possibly even buy some bits first and I'd prefer hot over cold right now. May got off to a very cold start this morning at 0.7°C

edited to change is to I'd

Last edited:
OK - its a tie between macaroni cheese (mac 'n cheese) and tacos. Macaroni cheese has been on the waiting list for a while. So for that reason its the winner.

tacos are less limited that Mac & cheese for me.

Its what you add to that basic recipe that makes the difference. Watch out for my vegan macaroni cheese with, well... that would be telling.

OK - its a tie between macaroni cheese (mac 'n cheese) and tacos. Macaroni cheese has been on the waiting list for a while. So for that reason its the winner.

Its what you add to that basic recipe that makes the difference. Watch out for my vegan macaroni cheese with, well... that would be telling.
I only have 1 cheese sauce that works. There is no way of changing it and because it's raw, it's not that modifiable. So adding mushrooms it onions means cooking then separately, adding the pasta and then stirring in the sauce. Job done. Frankly whilst it's a wonderful sauce and works great for cauli cheese etc, not a lot can be done with it. I don't do ready made plastic dairy free cheeses.

Do we have a tie? I'm happy with any of those 3 but tacos are less limited that Mac & cheese for me. I've only the 1 good recipe on that front which is basically a dairy free pasta sauce served over pasta. It can't go back into the oven for a reheat without losing a lot of taste. But I've not made tacos before so would need to research and possibly even buy some bits first and I'd prefer hot over cold right now. May got off to a very cold start this morning at 0.7°C

edited to change is to I'd

Today started here at 32 F (0 C)
But we are starting to warm up some!

Today started here at 32 F (0 C)
But we are starting to warm up some!
Clear skies mean we are already warming up rapidly. It's 8am and already 7°C. We'll just have to watch the UV like a hawk today because it will likely hit 11-15... that's the problem with the hole in the ozone layer over Australia.

I only have 1 cheese sauce that works. There is no way of changing it and because it's raw, it's not that modifiable. So adding mushrooms it onions means cooking then separately, adding the pasta and then stirring in the sauce. Job done. Frankly whilst it's a wonderful sauce and works great for cauli cheese etc, not a lot can be done with it. I don't do ready made plastic dairy free cheeses.

I make a vegan 'cheese sauce' to which things can be added as its cooking, since its not raw. But anyway, cooking things separately and stirring them in or adding just before serving - why not? Top chefs do that in many 'gourmet' dishes.

The new thread is here: Dish of the month: macaroni cheese

I make a vegan 'cheese sauce' to which things can be added as its cooking, since its not raw. But anyway, cooking things separately and stirring them in or adding just before serving - why not? Top chefs do that in many 'gourmet' dishes.

The new thread is here: Dish of the month: macaroni cheese
I've got a couple of days next week without a husband so I may be able to experiment if I'm not too busy running around in circles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom