Diversions for those stuck at home

Duck59

Guru
Local time
11:56 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
No doubt many of us will be spending more time than ever indoors. I thought it might be nice for people to share any ideas or websites that they enjoy. Of course, we will all have varied interests, but I'm sure we can find a few ideas that will appeal.

I'll give a couple. The first is the excellent Art UK website, which has digital images of about 250,000 artworks from all over the UK. Many are in galleries (though not necessarily on public display) and lots are from public buildings such as town halls and libraries. They are also launching a tool, planned for early May, to allow people to effectively curate their own exhibitions. Hours of fun for art lovers!

Art UK | Home

My second site is FutureLearn, provided by the Open University. It is available to anyone in the world and has an abundance of different courses. Many of these are free. The courses usually last from four to six weeks. There are also paid courses, but there is a mass of free stuff. I've done a small number of them and enjoyed them greatly, while learning a fair bit, too.

FutureLearn: Online Courses and Degrees from Top Universities

No doubt many of us will be spending more time than ever indoors. I thought it might be nice for people to share any ideas or websites that they enjoy. Of course, we will all have varied interests, but I'm sure we can find a few ideas that will appeal.

I'll give a couple. The first is the excellent Art UK website, which has digital images of about 250,000 artworks from all over the UK. Many are in galleries (though not necessarily on public display) and lots are from public buildings such as town halls and libraries. They are also launching a tool, planned for early May, to allow people to effectively curate their own exhibitions. Hours of fun for art lovers!

Art UK | Home

My second site is FutureLearn, provided by the Open University. It is available to anyone in the world and has an abundance of different courses. Many of these are free. The courses usually last from four to six weeks. There are also paid courses, but there is a mass of free stuff. I've done a small number of them and enjoyed them greatly, while learning a fair bit, too.

FutureLearn: Online Courses and Degrees from Top Universities
I just reading and listen radio Napoli for news from home. May look at art site I like art Grazie. I day 2 of isolate self I certain get bored anything pass time good idea.
Sarana x

As long as you can keep your distance, just getting out and going for a short walk can do wonders for your outlook. Easy to do where I live.

For those who still have DVD players, it can be fun to go pull out those boxes of packed-away discs and rediscover some old favorites.

Always check your local library's website - many here are offering free streaming and audio book playback. Check your local museum websites, too. Lots of online exhibitions.

I mentioned earlier that one of our local theaters will be streaming recordings of past plays they've staged, so check with your local arts associations for things like that.

Also, check with you local gyms. One chain of gyms here (Planet Fitness) is offering free online workouts.

Also, check with you local gyms. One chain of gyms here (Planet Fitness) is offering free online workouts.

Those are the folks who allow members to use whatever restroom/locker room they "identify" with. They even revoked a women's membership for complaining when a man entered the women's restroom/locker room.

Those are the folks who allow members to use whatever restroom/locker room they "identify" with. They even revoked a women's membership for complaining when a man entered the women's restroom/locker room.
Well, you shouldn't have that problem streaming an online workout from your home. 👍🏻:)

Well, you shouldn't have that problem streaming an online workout from your home. 👍🏻:)

I choose not to patronize any business with that mentality, in any form. If a man tries to go into a woman's restroom when my wife, daughter or granddaughters are using, he is going to have a serious problem with me, don't care what he identifies with.

Just like this BS with transgenders trying to participate in women's sports. Your birth certificate should be the final determination on that issue.

Hallmark Channel is also streaming their Christmas movie catalog to cheer things up. Some folks are also putting their Christmas lights back up. Our neighbor put their porch tree up.

I choose not to patronize any business with that mentality, in any form. If a man tries to go into a woman's restroom when my wife, daughter or granddaughters are using, he is going to have a serious problem with me, don't care what he identifies with.

Just like this BS with transgenders trying to participate in women's sports. Your birth certificate should be the final determination on that issue.

It might be bs, but like other stuff, we have to suck it up. The way I think is it might be one of my grandkids has trouble relating to sex gender, I'll be here to help. As they say....times, they are a changing. :)

Russ

We have the garden to muck around with during the day, Netflix at night plus horse racing, I've raced a lot of horses so I love watching and betting on them. Keeps me busy, but not much atmosphere with no people allowed on track. Trainers drivers and jockeys and essential staff only. I'm on other cooking and car sites. I check in to about 8 sites daily. Depending on what's being talked about.

Russ

It might be bs, but like other stuff, we have to suck it up. The way I think is it might be one of my grandkids has trouble relating to sex gender, I'll be here to help. As they say....times, they are a changing. :)

Russ

If I remember correctly, the man Craig was referring to was dressed, at leastl partly, as a man. He may identify as a she, but was obviously male. If he'd been dressed as a female, there probably would never have been a peep made.

I'm going to revive my chess skills. I used to play in a club once, when much younger and was quite good. I'm now very rusty but there are lots of options for playing it on-line or playing against my computer. Its quite good because you can set different levels. Anyone else here play chess? White wins!:

I'm going to revive my chess skills. I used to play in a club once, when much younger and was quite good. I'm now very rusty but there are lots of options for playing it on-line or playing against my computer. Its quite good because you can set different levels. Anyone else here play chess? White wins!:

View attachment 38915
We started an origami club, but it folded...

Here's something that might interest UK residents, or indeed anyone familiar with this country.

It's called the Lost Pubs Project. As the name suggests, it's a directory of pubs that have now departed, so it is a slightly depressing thing to look at. All of the (ex) pubs on the site are in England - they don't seem to have any plans to include other parts of Britain, but for someone like me who has lived in places as diverse as Newcastle, Reading and Oxford, it's interesting - and not a little sad - to see how many of my old watering holes are no more.

The Lost Pubs Project

Russ

Naw, not for me. :headshake:

Back
Top Bottom