Do people get set in their taste as they get older?

Yes it is, peas appear in all sorts of dishes, it’s common to throw in a handful of peas in allsorts and while it makes me feel like a fussy eater and I should just shovel them down my fork never gets the message and just wobbles its way around them 😂

I do like mushy peas, crème fraiche peas and pea pesto a lot. It’s not their flavour it’s the empty skins once the good bits popped out that I don’t like. So a textural thing I suppose.
I am going to throw some peas into my tuna casserole tonight just because of this, and I will take a photo for your disgust enjoyment.

I guarantee disgust, why ruin a perfectly good dish? 😂
My hubby will probably agree with you, although he doesn't mind peas and he will eat them. He'd rather have his tuna casserole all brown with no color.

They will be frozen green peas and I will stir them in near the end of the bake, right before I add the crushed potato chips (crisps) topping.

My hubby will probably agree with you, although he doesn't mind peas and he will eat them. He'd rather have his tuna casserole all brown with no color.

They will be frozen green peas and I will stir them in near the end of the bake, right before I add the crushed potato chips (crisps) topping.
Crisps, like actual crisps as a topping?
Tell me more 🧐

Crisps, like actual crisps as a topping?
Tell me more 🧐
Yeah! When the bag of potato chips gets low with mostly small pieces in it, I will make a tuna casserole (tuna, cream of mushroom soup, and noodles) and crush up the crisps further, then add them the last 10 minutes or so so of the bake so they get really crunchy. I never did that growing up, but hubby likes his that way and I agreed it was a good idea. I have also used those crispy breaded fried onion things as a topping and I like that as well on occasion. But, I happen to have a nearly finished bag of chips in the snack cabinet that needs gone.

Yeah! When the bag of potato chips gets low with mostly small pieces in it, I will make a tuna casserole (tuna, cream of mushroom soup, and noodles) and crush up the crisps further, then add them the last 10 minutes or so so of the bake so they get really crunchy. I never did that growing up, but hubby likes his that way and I agreed it was a good idea. I have also used those crispy breaded fried onion things as a topping and I like that as well on occasion. But, I happen to have a nearly finished bag of chips in the snack cabinet that needs gone.
Surely one bag of crisps (chip) crumbs isn’t enough?
That last bit with the little crumbly bits is Mr SSOAPs favourite, I predict mutiny if I go down that track! 😂

The tuna and mushroom soup thing though is very familiar. My mum used to make us that when we were tiny.
Because of it’s appearance we called it Tuna fish sick 😂

Funnily enough I was looking at ingredients today and thought hmm Tuna fish sick would be a good ambient (shelf stable) travelling food that you easily could sous vide. Even picked up the tinned tuna and mushrooms to try it out!

Surely one bag of crisps (chip) crumbs isn’t enough?
That last bit with the little crumbly bits is Mr SSOAPs favourite, I predict mutiny if I go down that track! 😂

The tuna and mushroom soup thing though is very familiar. My mum used to make us that when we were tiny.
Because of it’s appearance we called it Tuna fish sick 😂

Funnily enough I was looking at ingredients today and thought hmm Tuna fish sick would be a good ambient (shelf stable) travelling food that you easily could sous vide. Even picked up the tinned tuna and mushrooms to try it out!
I make a really small batch of tuna casserole because I don't like it as leftovers much. If it's not enough, crunch up some chips from another bag.

I'd eat that. Inexpensive and convenient road food! But wouldn't be able to use a crunchy potato topping that way I reckon.

I make a really small batch of tuna casserole because I don't like it as leftovers much. If it's not enough, crunch up some chips from another bag.

I'd eat that. Inexpensive and convenient road food! But wouldn't be able to use a crunchy potato topping that way I reckon.

I’m struggling to find mushroom soup without wheat in it at the moment, so it might have to go on the back burner until I can find that.

My FIL refuses to eat lamb or avocados, though my MIL loves them. So when I am making lamb chops and invite them over, I have to make an alternate meal for him, and I occasionally make guacamole to take to my MIL and have to listen and watch him make noises and facial expressions of disgust while she's eating it. As a result, when she buys groceries she will not buy lamb to prepare for herself and rarely buys avocados because even though she likes them, she doesn't want to deal with the feeling of disapproval she endures for eating things he doesn't.

But OTOH, if my husband liked liver (thank goodness he doesn't), he would have to likely order it when we go out to eat because I don't think I could cook it for him, it's too bloody and disgusting to look at in it's raw state and smells awful when it's cooking (my mom used to make it all the time and it stinks IMO). Now I also don't like sweet potatoes but I would not be adverse to preparing them for him if he wanted them. When I get Texas Roadhouse (casual US steak chain) takeout for us I usually will get him a sweet potato.

Edit: TastyReuben would you cook shrimp in your kitchen for MrsT?
My DH just went to go visit his mom because his stepdad has a doctor's appointment. I made her a batch of fresh guacamole right before he left for him to take to her. It's a warm, sunny day here so they are going to sit outside in the sun and have a nice chat. It's so infrequent that he gets to spend one-on-one time with his ma because stepdad just doesn't understand that when DH comes to visit he might not enjoy FIL hovering about constantly. Which is why I stayed home. I sent her the guacamole and some tortilla chips that were made with love (well not the chips, just the guac) and told DH to let her know I didn't come because I felt like they needed some alone time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom