Do you aerate your wine?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:39 PM
Do you aerate your wine, by one method or the other? Some common ways are to whizz it in a blender for several seconds, or pass it between two jugs several times.

I use two plastic 1-liter beer steins and pass it back and forth about 15 times and it does seem to help.

Some say you only need to do this with reds, other experts say reds and whites both benefit. I do it with all of the wine we drink.

What about the wine drinkers here? What do you do? Aerate, or can’t be fussed?

🍷

Sometimes..On a weekend if we are having a nice bottle with dinner, I will open it early..we have a couple of decanters, but we save that for when we have company so they will think that we are all fancy schmancy...If I crack a bottle during the week we have one of those aerators that fits into the top of the bottle..it has gotten lots of use over the years..

Last edited:
We have an aerator that was gifted to us and no we rarely use it. And a lot of wine is flowing in this house!

We have an aerator that was gifted to us and no we rarely use it. And a lot of wine is flowing in this house!
My gf doesn't really drink wine..she might have a small glass when I open it and if she doesn't like it she will give it to me..so..I never drink the whole bottle..The aerator acts as a cap so I can leave it on the counter for a few days..

My gf doesn't really drink wine..she might have a small glass when I open it and if she doesn't like it she will give it to me..so..I never drink the whole bottle..The aerator acts as a cap so I can leave it on the counter for a few days..
Yeah, opened wine never lasts long around here, LOL! And I can usually find something to cook with it at some point otherwise.

Depends on the wine but yeah I do when I think it's necessary. If I know for a fact that aerating will be of a benefit, I'll go ahead and decant otherwise I generally taste first then decide. Most whites don't need aeration but there are a few big ones that do. Temperature is my pet peeve when being served, most are too hot and needed to be chilled.

Do you aerate your wine, by one method or the other? Some common ways are to whizz it in a blender for several seconds, or pass it between two jugs several times.

I use two plastic 1-liter beer steins and pass it back and forth about 15 times and it does seem to help.

Some say you only need to do this with reds, other experts say reds and whites both benefit. I do it with all of the wine we drink.

🍷
You heathen. Just drink it man. :)

Russ

🍷
only with aged wines wich need it, we use a decanter.
when we drink a wine that aged only for two-three years, we simply open the bottle in advance

only with aged wines wich need it, we use a decanter.
when we drink a wine that aged only for two-three years, we simply open the bottle in advance
I do the opposite, generally speaking. If it's a younger wine that is tannic and big like a Bordeaux's, Cabernet Sauvignon, Bolgheri or a Primitivo I'll aerate to soften the tannins and easier to drink because the wine is still pretty tight and for an older aged wine of that same varietal I might not. An aged wine can go flat really really fast with too much oxidation, so I'm generally less likely to do that, but when I do it gets consumed quickly in other words it's not sitting in the decanter for very long and it helps with the sediment. Light bodied ready to drink reds like Gamay, Pinot's and Nebbiolo's or a Lambrusco's I won't decant, generally speaking.

Last edited:

I've never had a 700/750 ml bottle of wine last for more than 2 hours, aerated or not. In fact, I don't believe I've had a 3 litre box last longer than a couple of sessions (although I don't really remember).

I've never had a 700/750 ml bottle of wine last for more than 2 hours, aerated or not. In fact, I don't believe I've had a 3 litre box last longer than a couple of sessions (although I don't really remember).
Sometimes an open bottle will sit there for two weeks and I throw it out..I just poured out two half bottles last week..they were there for weeks..one over a month. Gf doesn’t drin much and I don’t like drinking a whole bottle. I’m usually too busy to have a hang over. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Sometimes an open bottle will sit there for two weeks and I throw it out..I just poured out two half bottles last week..they were there for weeks..one over a month. Gf doesn’t drin much and I don’t like drinking a whole bottle. I’m usually too busy to have a hang over. Been there, done that.
An opportunity for red wine vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom