Do you aerate your wine?

I do the opposite, generally speaking. If it's a younger wine that is tannic and big like a Bordeaux's, Cabernet Sauvignon, Bolgheri or a Primitivo I'll aerate to soften the tannins and easier to drink because the wine is still pretty tight and for an older aged wine of that same varietal I might not. An aged wine can go flat really really fast with too much oxidation, so I'm generally less likely to do that, but when I do it gets consumed quickly in other words it's not sitting in the decanter for very long and it helps with the sediment. Light bodied ready to drink reds like Gamay, Pinot's and Nebbiolo's or a Lambrusco's I won't decant, generally speaking.
We do it with old wines to make the volatile alcohlic part evaporate, so you can totally enjoy the nose experience :D
and for the sediment, of course
for the younger ones, in my taste, is sufficient some minutes in the proper glass...

for the conservation I don't know...I'm in the I am part of the group of those who when they open a bottle they finish it, at most from dinner lasts until lunch the next day: D

We do it with old wines to make the volatile alcohlic part evaporate, so you can totally enjoy the nose experience :D
and for the sediment, of course
for the younger ones, in my taste, is sufficient some minutes in the proper glass...

for the conservation I don't know...I'm in the I am part of the group of those who when they open a bottle they finish it, at most from dinner lasts until lunch the next day: D
Well, there you go, we all have our own ways of doing things based on our experiences. Viva la differenza. :okay:

Do you aerate your wine, by one method or the other? Some common ways are to whizz it in a blender for several seconds, or pass it between two jugs several times.

I use two plastic 1-liter beer steins and pass it back and forth about 15 times and it does seem to help.

Some say you only need to do this with reds, other experts say reds and whites both benefit. I do it with all of the wine we drink.

What about the wine drinkers here? What do you do? Aerate, or can’t be fussed?

🍷
In my house: Red wine, yes. White wine, no.
My father in law opens the red wine like half hour before serving to "let it breathe" but I think that's excessive...

I have a bottle-top aerator. I only remember to use it sometimes. Red wines only, and if I remember that i have it. It was a gift. It does seem to have a slight improvement in flavor, but not so much that I'd have bought one on my own.

Swirling in a proper wine glass accomplishes much of the same thing. And for some reason (Dad was in the liquor industry and he passed a bunch of glass sets on to me that he had no room to store) I've got the proper wine glasses.

In my house: Red wine, yes. White wine, no.
My father in law opens the red wine like half hour before serving to "let it breathe" but I think that's excessive...
Aeration is important for a couple of reason. Wine is composed of a lot of individual compounds, hundreds actually and oxidation or aeration helps dissipate many of the undesirable ones, especially if it's a rather new wine and sulfites are the big one, so it reduces that gassy rotten egg smell for example and it evaporates the ethanol which smells like rubbing alcohol and generally leave the compounds that are more appreciated and desirable to then be more pronounced, making the wine rounder without the harsh edges, basically.

Last edited:
Yeah. My gf isn’t a big wine drinker.
Maybe a small glass every couple of weeks. She often finds it too strong for her. Many times she will like the same wine the next day. It really mellows out.

My Wine of choice is Sauvignon Blanc and I do not aerate it - $3.49 Chuck, formally known as Two Buck Chuck :D
IF I drink a red, it's Sangiovese and I use one of those plastic aerating funnel thingies. I do have a carafe, but I keep forgetting about it.
DH doesn't drink any alcohol so ...

White wine - no.
Red wine - yes - either open early and allow to breathe or use an aerator.
I have been to a few wine tasting parties and have visited vineyards. The presenters all said the same thing about serving red wine at room temperature. Room temperature does not refer to the temperature of a room in my home. It refers to the temperature of an underground, stone wine cellar. I put red wine in the fridge for 20 minutes before serving. That with breathing or aerating really improves the flavor/complexity of red wine.
I am not a connoisseur. I have tried these tips and find an improvement in the nose and the taste of red wines.

I put red wine in the fridge for 20 minutes before serving.
I can’t remember where I read/heard it, but I do follow the “rule” that wines that are supposed to be served room temp need to go into the fridge for 20 minutes, and wines that are meant to be served chilled need to come out of the fridge for 20 minutes.

I can’t remember where I read/heard it, but I do follow the “rule” that wines that are supposed to be served room temp need to go into the fridge for 20 minutes, and wines that are meant to be served chilled need to come out of the fridge for 20 minutes.
DITTO

Here's an interesting article :
PSA: Your Red Wine Is Probably Way Too Warm.
I had a patient that owned a very large alcohol distribution company in Hawaii and he would invite us to any Wine Tastings that he had.
I seem to recall him saying that Reds should be chilled for about an hour prior ... ya know how you're suppose to taste the wine and then spit it out? NAH! We got blitzed!!! Good thing he scheduled all of the tastings on a Saturday Night :laugh:

My Wine of choice is Sauvignon Blanc and I do not aerate it - $3.49 Chuck, formally known as Two Buck Chuck :D
IF I drink a red, it's Sangiovese and I use one of those plastic aerating funnel thingies. I do have a carafe, but I keep forgetting about it.
DH doesn't drink any alcohol so ...

For those who do not know, Two-Buck-Chuck was the nickname for Trader Joe's house brand of wine (Charles Shaw Wine -- hence the name "Chuck"). The price per bottle was two dollars for a LONG time, but finally had to go up. Thing is, it was actually good wine. It won awards.

CD

Here's an interesting article :
PSA: Your Red Wine Is Probably Way Too Warm.
I had a patient that owned a very large alcohol distribution company in Hawaii and he would invite us to any Wine Tastings that he had.
I seem to recall him saying that Reds should be chilled for about an hour prior ... ya know how you're suppose to taste the wine and then spit it out? NAH! We got blitzed!!! Good thing he scheduled all of the tastings on a Saturday Night :laugh:

My dad had wine fridges, one for white, and one for red. The red, IIRC, was set at 55F. The white was kept cooler.

CD

Sometimes an open bottle will sit there for two weeks and I throw it out..I just poured out two half bottles last week..they were there for weeks..one over a month. Gf doesn’t drin much and I don’t like drinking a whole bottle. I’m usually too busy to have a hang over. Been there, done that.
They have these things that can pull the air out of the bottle and keep the wine fresh for longer. We don't have use for that kind of thing. I don't know if this means I have a problem or not, but 1 bottle of wine (just for me) does not give me a hangover...hmm.

Back
Top Bottom