Do you call it Grilling or Barbecue

I call it BBQ, even if it is cooked indoors.

I don't have an outdoor grill (charcoal, gas or outdoor smoker), but I DO have the oven and my Stovetop Kettle Smoker.

I also have what it call the Rival Crockpot BBQ Pit Slow Cooker - which is made to look like a barrel-type grill. I also have a George Jr. Rotisserie that can also be used to make BBQ'd babyback ribs. I also have the Thane Flavorwave convection oven, which also can be used for BBQ'ing. :wink:
Thane Flvorwave Convection Oven..jpg

Stove Kettle Smoker..jpg
rivalbbqcrock.jpg
george-foreman-gr82b-george-jr-rotisserie-image-1.jpg

Well we call our outdoor cooking grilling, and by the looks of it rightfully so!

Year, pure authentic grilling IS done outdoors.
But it's winter here and the temp is just above freezing, but the wind chill is making it feel like it's near zero!!

No one in their right mind would be cooking out today!!! :eek:

I'm in the UK too and any kind of outdoor cooking done with coals or an outdoor grill is referred to as BBQing. To be fair, whilst it is very popular, nobody really gets the chance to do this much because of the weather we have here. I have a question for those across the pond though - what is "broiling"? Is that just grilling with an over head element, as SatNav describes, or is it completely different?

I'm a cookbook writer specializing in grilling and barbecue in the states. For my articles, book, demos, and such, I break down the different methods this way. These line up with "Traditional State Side Southern Barbecue"

Grilling: cooking over a direct, or even indirect, medium to high heat source such as charcoal, wood, or gas. This method is for relatively quick cooking times such as steaks, seafood, burgers, bratwursts/sausages/hot dogs, veggies and such. Think about cooking times of 10 - 20 minutes or so with small items. Longer if using a covered grill for something such as a whole chicken etc. (Time is Not including prep time or charcoal heating time) Cooking temps would range from 350 - 500 degreesF (think red hot coals with open flames)

Barbecue: cooking with an indirect heat source such as on a covered smoke r or covered grill with longer cooking times, lower temps, and flavors from wood such as Hickory. Barbecue smokers cook tougher cuts of meat such as Boston Butts, Ribs, etc at such a lower temperature over a longer period of time that the fatty pieces and connective tissue break down. That's what makes slow smoked ribs or pulled pork so tender. Cooking temps could be as low as 225 - 250 degreesF over a period of several hours. (Think coals and wood pieces covered in ash with hot orange spots showing here and there while being contained in a fire/smoke box offset from the grill grates.

Broiling: Yes to the post above. Oven broiling is very similar to grilling only upside down. A high heat source for a limited time. Perfect for all kinds of quick meals.

Hope this info from my own grilling experience helps - Kent Whitaker

I know there is a difference between the two words and their meanings, but I have called it 2 different things in my life. Growing up on the west coast (California), we called it Barbecue (aka BBQ). However, living in the south the last 15 years (NC), I've grown accustomed to calling it "grilling out".

I know there is a difference between the two words and their meanings, but I have called it 2 different things in my life. Growing up on the west coast (California), we called it Barbecue (aka BBQ). However, living in the south the last 15 years (NC), I've grown accustomed to calling it "grilling out".

Ever since we were kids growing and our family, along with 2 other families in our building cooked out together, we've ALWAYS called it BBQ (Short for barbecue)!!!

It is a name that stuck with us, even today!!

And when I want BBQ at a favorite restaurant, Especially a BBQ place, I call it just that!! "Let's go out for some BBQ!!" :wink: :eek:

We call it barbecue on this side of town... I do like to barbecue vegetable kebabs and some corn on the cob! It is fun experimenting with outdoor cooking although I bet it is even better for a meat lover.

We also called it a cookout, hence what its name implies!! But growing up, we just couldn't resist calling it a BBQ!! :hungry:

I want to be able to grill again, it's so cold and snowy here until the spring months I'm forced to stove cook everything. It doesn't taste right since I run on electric, I don't even get that gas-cooked feel or taste to it. So I'm relegated to a third string choice.

I call it Barbeque though. Grilling is just how you HAVE to BBQ. It's an act performed under it, not two separate ideas.

Much of the play between the two types of words seems to come from the manufactures of grills! In the back yard I don't think it matters what you call it as long as you have a great time with family, friends, while enjoying some good food!

Much of the play between the two types of words seems to come from the manufactures of grills! In the back yard I don't think it matters what you call it as long as you have a great time with family, friends, while enjoying some good food!

This much is true. And that, make sure the neighbors are invited. If they're not, they'll definitely be hovering around your back yard! :roflmao:

Uninvited guests!!

If I don't invite them to a cookout, BBQ, whichever one that you want to call it, then they should not be hovering around my backyard, park or any place where I'm having a cookout, other than those who ARE invited!!

That is disrespectful, distasteful, rude and downright mean & nasty!! :mad:

Barbecue in our house is cooking on the grill and adding barbecue sauce to it. We do grill vegetables on the grill which is a charcoal grill. I think we use the terms as if they mean the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom