Do you call it Grilling or Barbecue

Some stoves DO have a BBQ grill that lets you do that.

The smoke that is produced from it is drawn out from the side or through the hood and is vented out of the house, so that there it no smokey environment in the kitchen and no one gets sick! :wink:

I call the action of what I am doing 'grilling':

"Where are you?"
"I'm out back grilling"

I call the result of grilling 'barbeque':

"Where's our food?"
"Come get this barbeque & clean up. Nothing in life is free"

:giggle:

That's interesting - I always thought they referred to the same thing! Having grown up in Australia we always just called it a barbecue (or a barbie, if we are talking in slang!) but my American husband always says grill - thank you for opening my eyes!

I live in the US (in Kentucky) and grilling is cooking outdoors on a grill. No matter if it's charcoal or gas. Barbecue is a totally different thing here. Barbecue means to cook something (usually outdoors and smoked), and usually involves a barbeque sauce.

i hate to rain ona good debate but , you are talking about 3 seperate things ( 1) grilling means hot heat short cook times
(2) BBQ means low heat and long slow cook times with some type of sauce ( 3 ) smoking means the same as BBQing without the sauce
i like many, do not add sauce of any kind to my BBQ ribs instead i use a dry rub on them before putting them in the smoker and put BBQ sauce on the table if and only if someone wants to use it
who ever is eating the ribs decides if they want sauce or not on the ribs
for example : i smoke sausage on the smoke with nothing added , same with bacon or a ham
but anything you smoke and add sauce to = BBQ

i hate to rain ona good debate but , you are talking about 3 seperate things ( 1) grilling means hot heat short cook times
(2) BBQ means low heat and long slow cook times with some type of sauce ( 3 ) smoking means the same as BBQing without the sauce
i like many, do not add sauce of any kind to my BBQ ribs instead i use a dry rub on them before putting them in the smoker and put BBQ sauce on the table if and only if someone wants to use it
who ever is eating the ribs decides if they want sauce or not on the ribs
for example : i smoke sausage on the smoke with nothing added , same with bacon or a ham
but anything you smoke and add sauce to = BBQ

Let me add some complication. In the UK, grilling is done in the oven (AKA: cooker). It is what we Americans call broiling. What we call grilling, they call barbecuing. We cook ON TOP of a grill, usually outside. They cook UNDER a grill, in the cooker/oven. On top of the cooker/oven, you will often find a Hob, or a stove in the US.

When in an international cooking forum, you have to make allowances for how people cook, and what they cook, where they live.

CD

question : in other countrys do they even sell what we call grills ? and if so what do they call them ?

question : in other countrys do they even sell what we call grills ? and if so what do they call them ?
Of course they do. And they're called barbecues.

For example:
Screenshot_20230205_165900_Chrome.jpg

Yes, they do. I've heard Weber Kettles sell pretty well in Europe (no sure). I believe someone in the UK would call a grill like that a Barbecue/BBQ.

CD

Back
Top Bottom