Do You Care if a Recipe is Authentic?

Most recipes, I think of in my head. I know from experience just what to do & how to do it. Cake recipes, I also know, but I usually measure the ingredients because I've always done them that way. I'm too afraid that something might come out messed up!! :eek:

No, no, no - don't get me wrong. I'm never offended! I just feel it's a shame that, when someone goes to all that trouble to invent something completely new and creative, then others copy it without considering its origins.
Think of it like this. A bloke called Shakespeare wrote a play called "Romeo & Juliet". Then along came Harry, and wrote a play called " Juliet and her lover, Romeo". Almost the same story, slight change... :laugh: :laugh:
Additionally, I know perfectly well that plagiarism happens and there's almost nothing we can do about it. Fine. I still think it's a shame.
So you think recipe authors should keep the recipes secret?

So you think recipe authors should keep the recipes secret?
Good luck to them if they try. Google any recipe title and you'll probaby get over 1,000,000 hits.
Additionally; give 10 chefs a tin of tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and herbs, and I'm sure you'll get 10 different tomato sauces.

Good luck to them if they try. Google any recipe title and you'll probaby get over 1,000,000 hits.
Additionally; give 10 chefs a tin of tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and herbs, and I'm sure you'll get 10 different tomato sauces.
One keeps it secret by not sharing it with anybody and certainly not putting it on the internet. A good marinara sauce is easy. We use canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste, onions, olive oil, garlic, basil, a little hot pepper, dry white wine, salt and pepper. Nothing particularly exotic about that. We've been making it for the past 1/4 century. We are having some for dinner this evening on ravioli. You are welcome to adapt it to your preferences.

A good marinara sauce is easy. We use canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste, onions, olive oil, garlic, basil, a little hot pepper, dry white wine, salt and pepper.
Mine has no tomato sauce (you mean ketchup?), no onions, no hot pepper, no white wine. And I've been making it for half a century. It doesn't make it any better, or any worse. Not sharing or keeping it a secret - fine. I'm not selfish and I know very few people are going to cook exactly as I do.

Mine has no tomato sauce (you mean ketchup?), no onions, no hot pepper, no white wine. And I've been making it for half a century. It doesn't make it any better, or any worse. Not sharing or keeping it a secret - fine. I'm not selfish and I know very few people are going to cook exactly as I do.

Tomato sauce is not ketchup. :rolleyes: It's just well pureed tomatoes. If I need tomato sauce, I toss whole peeled plum tomatoes in a blender. Same outcome.

Let's not argue over trivial matters. Let's leave that for important matters like the proper production and spelling of chili. :D

CD

If you like the results you are doing the right thing. Tomato sauce is not ketchup. It is canned reduced tomato puree - something between canned tomatoes and tomato paste. It adds body to the sauce. Try using a tiny bit of hot pepper. You may like the result.

Yep - its one of those US/UK language confusions. In the UK it means 'tomato ketchup' if its in an ingredient list. In the US, as you say, its a tomato puree.
If I stay here long enough I may start referring the hood of my car as a bonnet or an elevator as a lift or custom as bespoke. I'll keep an eye out for the issue.

If I stay here long enough I may start referring the hood of my car as a bonnet or an elevator as a lift or custom as bespoke. I'll keep an eye out for the issue.
Sometimes we try to "translate"; so we get eggplants and aubergines, zucchini and courgettes, biscuits and cookies, etc.
And sometimes we forget and lots of us go "Uh?? What's that all about?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sometimes we try to "translate"; so we get eggplants and aubergines, zucchini and courgettes, biscuits and cookies, etc.
And sometimes we forget and lots of us go "Uh?? What's that all about?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I never understood why we call it an eggplant so I'll go with the French word from now on. :wink:

And don't bring up the definition of a grill whatever you do...

Back
Top Bottom