Do You Care if a Recipe is Authentic?

I promise.
The forum is originally UK based despite the ".com" address, so all terms were looked at from a UK point of view initially... it's founder and ask the early members are all UK people (myself included, I just emigrated to Australia 7 years ago.)

PS... In the UK you put things under a grill, not on it.

The forum is originally UK based despite the ".com" address, so all terms were looked at from a UK point of view initially... it's founder and ask the early members are all UK people (myself included, I just emigrated to Australia 7 years ago.)

I congratulate you for a well operated forum site. I used to run one a few years ago called Foodie Forums. I ran out of time to deal with it and turned it over to someone else who finally abandoned it. You have a terrific community. Keep up the good work.

I keep planning to take a picture of steak "under" my grill, but I keep forgetting to do it. I really need to do that. :facepalm:

CD

That usually works, and I don't really care. But f there are a ton of ingredients in something, and a simple name or something is expected? Or a simple name for a post title?
I’d just call it “<Dish> a la Tasty!” - and make a flourish with my hands, like a magician, every time I said it. :laugh:

That usually works, and I don't really care. But f there are a ton of ingredients in something, and a simple name or something is expected? Or a simple name for a post title?
I suppose. I read a thread about Bolognese sauce somewhere on the site. If I made a version of it I might call it "Marinara Sauce with Ground Beef." A title doesn't need the entire ingredient list.

I suppose. I read a thread about Bolognese sauce somewhere on the site. If I made a version of it I might call it "Marinara Sauce with Ground Beef." A title doesn't need the entire ingredient list.

Its interesting you say this about listing ingredients in the title of a dish. Ottolenghi often does this and in fact, I often do it as well. I'd go so far as to say its a bit of a 'trend' in fine dining restaurants in the UK and probably elsewhere.

I know what is under my grill. It is the heat source.

In the UK and related countries, a "grill" is inside a cooker (oven), and is what we call a broiler.

What we call a grill, they call a barbecue or just BBQ.

Oh, and what we call a "stove" or "cooktop" is called a hob in the UK and related countries.

CD

In the UK and related countries, a "grill" is inside a cooker (oven), and is what we call a broiler.

What we call a grill, they call a barbecue or just BBQ.

Oh, and what we call a "stove" or "cooktop" is called a hob in the UK and related countries.

CD
Hob is a new one for me. I wonder where the term "hob nob" originated. Certainly not in a hob. I'm aware of the others so I was poking a little fun.

Just to make life fun, some/most UK cookers separate the grill from the oven. The grill will traditionally have a drop down door and several shelving levels very close together, that door is left open when the grill is in use. It can be at the very top of the cooker or immediately above the oven. The oven will have a swing door and obviously closed when in use. That's assuming the cooker is a free standing cooker.

These are what I grew up with an what my inlaws still have.

images.jpeg
images-1.jpeg
images-2.jpeg

In this one, the grill is the first door down... it also acts as a warning drawer.

The more modern versions put the grill between the oven and the rings for safety reasons!

Screenshot_20230606_132141_Opera.jpg

Life only started to combine them when they started with built-in ovens such as I have now.

Even my last tenancy place here in Aus had a free standing gas oven with grill at the top.

Back
Top Bottom