Do You Check Your Eggs?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
9:39 AM
Assuming you're buying your eggs at a market of some type, do you open the carton and check each one for cracks, or are you the type to say, "I ain't got time for that!"

My own anecdotal evidence is that about 80% of people do not check their eggs. I see shopper after shopper just grab a carton and away they go. Most don't even seem to check the date (which is nutty in my mind, as I routinely find eggs at Kroger one and even two months past their date).

The gourmet shop I sometimes go to, they'll check your eggs for you at the register if you haven't. They'll ask, and if you say you didn't, they'll pop them open right there for a quick egg-by-egg inspection.

What do you all do?

Our eggs are delivered every Saturday morning fresh from the smallholding down the road where they were produced :okay: They come in clear boxes so it'd be immediately obvious if any were broken.

We used to get the eggs with our shopping from the online supermarket Ocado - we've had remarkably few breakages over the years, but on the odd occasion where you have a broken egg you just report it to them online and they refund the whole box.

Assuming you're buying your eggs at a market of some type, do you open the carton and check each one for cracks, or are you the type to say, "I ain't got time for that!"

In some supermarkets here the cashier checks them as you check out. But I haven't been to a supermarket or anywhere else for eggs in a very long time. So far I've only had one cracked egg in an on-line delivery delivery. The good thing is that they refund the whole box if you report it, so you get 5 free eggs so I honestly don't mind. Quite often the cracked egg is fine to eat too.

I flip box to check underneath. Then open to check, I use to just check the tops, then sometimes I'd get home to find I couldn't lift egg out as it had cracked & box underneath had dried out.

My problem a few times now has been there all fine in shop, 1st time this happened was Christmas eve, I was baking a cake at like midnight (love Christmas, I spend all night baking treats) got the eggs out and out of 15, 12 were blood, thank god I had another box in as cake was for family member bday next day. Another time I was making scrambled eggs & cracked egg in pan & again blood.
I know its said there fine but il pass lol

I flip box to check underneath. Then open to check, I use to just check the tops, then sometimes I'd get home to find I couldn't lift egg out as it had cracked & box underneath had dried out.

My problem a few times now has been there all fine in shop, 1st time this happened was Christmas eve, I was baking a cake at like midnight (love Christmas, I spend all night baking treats) got the eggs out and out of 15, 12 were blood, thank god I had another box in as cake was for family member bday next day. Another time I was making scrambled eggs & cracked egg in pan & again blood.
I know its said there fine but il pass lol

Yep, do this as well. Flip the box over, flip it back then open the lid.

It's important to do it in this order.

It depends. Since Covid, I've had local eggs delivered with my greengrocery and dont usually check them when they arrive.

When I used to buy them from Morrisons (supermarket) they had recently started selling local eggs that you selected from big trays and you filled an egg box (could re-use them too) with the number of eggs you wanted. Then at checkout the sales assistant would check number and, as Morning Glory says, check for breakages.

A friend drops off fresh free range eggs whenever I order them.$5 a dozen. Havnt had a broken egg yet. I also sometimes buy off another source free range large. The tray is open so can see the eggs sitting there.

Russ

When I've bought eggs, I open up the cartons and look. I don't think I've ever looked at the bottom of cartons - and yes, once or twice I've come home with an egg who'd leaked on its bottom. If I were to buy them at a supermarket in the age of COVID (I haven't had to) people are often a bit testy about others handling things and putting them back. But I noted at the farmer's market near me that the vendor will have them set out with cartons open.

Back
Top Bottom