Do you cook turkey for Christmas dinner or a different bird?

I spend the whole Christmas day roasting beef or chicken. I do not like eating turkey and is not sold in food stores here. As long as I do not miss my favorite drinks, then the day ends just fine.

I do a turkey for Thanksgiving, and since Christmas is only a month later, I don't want to cook another turkey. I usually go with a pork roast for Christmas, or occasionally, a beef roast. For some reason, I've always preferred pork, but as I get older, I seem to be moving toward beef, so who knows what this year's dinner will be.

I do a turkey for Thanksgiving, and since Christmas is only a month later, I don't want to cook another turkey. I usually go with a pork roast for Christmas, or occasionally, a beef roast. For some reason, I've always preferred pork, but as I get older, I seem to be moving toward beef, so who knows what this year's dinner will be.
Well, its a bit early to be planning it now :ohmy:. Strange really, that we are even discussing it at this time of year! Although, some people start making their Xmas puddings in the spring or summer, so that they mature.

Well, its a bit early to be planning it now :ohmy:. Strange really, that we are even discussing it at this time of year! Although, some people start making their Xmas puddings in the spring or summer, so that they mature.

Yes, it seems early, but it might be a good time to start planning, at least here in the U.S., in case there is a shortage (even if it's seller created), due to the avian flu. Discussing it might help people come up with alternatives to their traditional turkeys, just in the event that the prices go sky high, or they're not able to find what they're used to cooking. I've heard of Christmas puddings, but am not familiar with them. Apparently my great-grandmother and grandmother (from Canada) would make them, but that was before my time.

I'm a vegetarian, so there's not much chance of a turkey or any other bird getting cooked. While we don't take much notice of Christmas in this house, it has become something of a tradition to have a vegetable curry on Christmas Day.

I personally prefer to have a duck on Christmas. I find that turkey is too dry, and even with a garnish like cranberry sauce, it doesn't disguise the taste. It's non traditional,I know. But I can't seem to find a sauce that tastes nice alongside the turkey. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the turkey? I would like to give it another go next Christmas, as I'm having a big family one, who I don't think would like the duck as much.

I personally prefer to have a duck on Christmas. I find that turkey is too dry, and even with a garnish like cranberry sauce, it doesn't disguise the taste. It's non traditional,I know. But I can't seem to find a sauce that tastes nice alongside the turkey. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the turkey? I would like to give it another go next Christmas, as I'm having a big family one, who I don't think would like the duck as much.

I've got a recipe where you marinate the turkey in brine (you need a bucket!). Look up Nigella on that one. Think it worked out quite well when I did it and the turkey was 'moister'. Another thing I've done with chicken (but it would work for turkey) is to inject it with some melted fat (I used ghee and lemon juice). Sounds mad, I know.:eek:. But you can buy a syringe for doing this. Its actually very easy to do and rather fun!

Yes, it seems early, but it might be a good time to start planning, at least here in the U.S., in case there is a shortage (even if it's seller created), due to the avian flu. Discussing it might help people come up with alternatives to their traditional turkeys, just in the event that the prices go sky high, or they're not able to find what they're used to cooking. I've heard of Christmas puddings, but am not familiar with them. Apparently my great-grandmother and grandmother (from Canada) would make them, but that was before my time.
Christmas Pudding! I didn't realise that it wasn't something you had in the US. Its basically a rich, fruity (hopefully alcohol steeped) steamed or boiled pudding. Traditionally served flaming as it arrives at the table:

Attachments

• 6302048408_ece6d4cbbc_b-2.jpg
    6302048408_ece6d4cbbc_b-2.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 259
We have lots of chicken for christmas here. Most times we do not roast the bird but stew it to accompany other dishes. Chicken is a well loved delicacy that is reserved for special occasions such as weddings and christmas for most families.

We usually have turkey on Christmas but on occasion we will have ham. It depends on the amount of turkey dinners that we are invited to.
If everybody is having turkey then we will have a ham just to change thing up a bit. I do enjoy a turkey dinner with all the fixings though.

We always have turkey at Christmas. My brother has even gone so far as to brine the turkey and smoke it on his Big Green Egg which a bbq/smoker. The turkey was fantastic, moist and juicy. It's lot of work but well worth it. When it's my turn to make turkey I always make the stuffing on the side. I have a great recipe I use that has cranberries and green apples in it so it has sweet and tartness to it. My mom makes homemade cranberry sauce. Next week is Canadian Thanksgiving so we are gearing up for turkey soon.

Christmas day is always a full on traditional meal for us: we don't have a starter, but we'll have the bird (turkey or goose), stuffing, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes and parsnips, sprouts and carrots. Plus also yorkshire puddings - they're not traditional but they're hubby's favourite. Christmas pudding to follow - sometimes I make a christmas pudding ice cream as well (which works well for those people like me who aren't so keen on christmas pudding).

We're having turkey this year - we were planning on having goose but then we found a local farm is raising a few Norfolk Black turkeys for Christmas so we thought we ought to try one because I like the idea of local food (and all their other meat has been top quality).

Different countries with different cultures had different festive foods also that they are serving during their Christmas Dinner. In my home country we usually had roast chicken and other festive foods and bake goodies during our Noche Buena or what we called Christmas Eve or the night before Christmas Day. But here in my husband country where we are living they had a different culture. So sad they do not give importance to Christmas Day or I may say they are not really celebrating Christmas because most of the people here are not Roman Catholic. If ever they maybe they are only a few who celebrate Christmas Day but it is not as festive compared to other countries.

Last edited:
We have turkey and ham and maybe a small roast. We eat all during the day while we enjoy each others company and exchange gifts. We have a contertop roaster to cook the turkey in, it does a great job of keeping the turkey moist and browns just right. Having the roaster leaves the oven free for all the other stuff we have to cook.

I do think I'm going to have a turkey for Thanksgiving this year, but I still don't know what I want to cook for Christmas. I might end up cooking a ham, which I usually reserve for Easter, unless I stumble upon a good recipe for something else that tempts my taste buds.

Back
Top Bottom