Do you cook turkey for Christmas dinner or a different bird?

We always had turkey at home when we were growing up but as it is usually just my husband and myself on the day we don't bother because neither of us are all that interested however last year my dad, my brother and his 3 kids came to us for the day so we cooked turkey because that is what they wanted, same thing this year.

Over the years I've had, chicken, duck, pheasant, goose & turkey. The last two proving the most troublesome, snapping the neck & plucking common to both, but having the bird bite back, beforehand, that lies with the goose, which had to be caught.

Roasted chicken is the bird of choice in our place. you stuff onions and garlic. butter and lemongrass inside the cavity of the bird. rub a generous amount of salt and pepper to the outside and rub a bit of butter as well or oil then you pop it in an oven (300 Celsius) for an hour.When done serve the bird with a dipping sauce of your choice. Fried chicken wings are also a favorite appetizer.

No turkey here...I usually do ham, but as mentioned in the other thread, I think I will do a beef roast this year just for a change of pace.

I ended up cooking a small turkey breast roast. It had both white and dark meat, which I prefer to an all-white breast. I like the variety, and find the dark meat richer and usually juicier, although I enjoy white meat, too. The price was about the same as the whole turkey I bought for Thanksgiving, but the preparations, cooking time, and clean up were much easier with just cooking the breast. I had lots of leftovers with the Thanksgiving turkey, so still have some in the freezer, and wasn't interested in compounding the leftovers. I still have the bones leftover from Thanksgiving, as well, so can use those to make a soup later on, if I'm interested.

Back
Top Bottom