• Always

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I don't dip at all

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
@MypinchofItaly

Hello There.
Have a lovely lovely Sunday.

Just sitting down to Ravioli stuffed with goat cheese ricotta & a salad of Endive, walnuts, pears, Red blueberries, and red onion with a light vinaigrette of Bio Evoo & Champagne vinagre .. The récipe is from the late Antonio Carluccio as I have all his books and Dvds .. I felt so horrible when I had read he passed on in The Guardian Newspaper ..

@Francesca thank you and have a happy Sunday you too :)
Nice recipe, thanks for sharing..Carluccio was also quite famous in UK I think..not the same in Italy. I discovered Carluccio roaming on internet.

@Francesca thank you and have a happy Sunday you too :)
Nice recipe, thanks for sharing..Carluccio was also quite famous in UK I think..not the same in Italy. I discovered Carluccio roaming on internet.

@MypinchofItaly

He was an amazingly exceptional Author and endorser of the regional Italian product .. I came across him on the BBC ..

Have a lovely day too ..

Another interesting thread.

If I'm cooking I usually have a sink of soapy hot water as well as we lack bench space here and it's better for my mental health to wash up as I go. So most of the time the dirty spoon would be thrown straight into the sink.

I wouldn't think twice about double dipping when cooking for family or close friends though but I've worked in kitchens and wouldn't do it there.

I volunteer at a food co-op once a month. When I was selling a loaf of the amazing sourdough I was a loss because there were no gloves or implements to pick up the bread... I nudged the other volunteer who said just put it in the paper bag - no one here is scared of germs.

This was followed by the latex glove conversation. I won't go into it here but I'm a hater.

When I was selling a loaf of the amazing sourdough I was a loss because there were no gloves or implements to pick up the bread... I nudged the other volunteer who said just put it in the paper bag - no one here is scared of germs.
A lot of shops used to use a paper bag to pick them up with anyway. You can still get plenty of germs on the outside of latex gloves, unless you use a clean pair every time, that is.

Studies have shown that people will wash their hands more frequently than they will change gloves.

Food handling laws that require gloves are actually stupid on several levels when you factor in how bad for the environment plastic production is and how long it takes to break down.

The way I see it is this. I love with my boyfriend. We share a bed, we use the same toilet, our cutlery and dishes, pots and pans are all washed in the same water with the same amount of washing up liquid. Sometimes cutlery is only dipped into the water, the water may not be very hot, it may not be very clean, the washing up liquid may have all been 'used'. He's also my boyfriend so we get intimate... You get the idea. The double dipping is thrown into the mix. Well I hardly see that as a problem because the soup, casserole, stew, sauce is going to be much hotter, often too hot and you need to blow on it, talking of blowing what about birthday cakes? You all eat that after some kid full of gems had blown the candle out?
Double dipping at home is the least of our exposure to germs that we need to worry about...

.....our cutlery and dishes, pots and pans are all washed in the same water with the same amount of washing up liquid. Sometimes cutlery is only dipped into the water, the water may not be very hot, it may not be very clean, the washing up liquid may have all been 'used'....
A lot of makes of washing up liquids now tell you it's OK to wash up in cold water! I wouldn't fancy it. I'd rather use very hot water and no washing up liquid if I only had a couple of things to rinse quickly.

I voted only when cooking for family, but not when I'm outight sick. Otherwise, like somebody wrote, we're already sharing germs anyway.

I put never, although that isn't strictly true, I have done it on occasion, if I do I tend to give the spoon a wipe or a rinse. Neve really given it much thought. I always dip taste now when I can, as once when I forgot I produced an inedible meal. I was making Boston Baked Beans and couldn't source any salt pork, so I decided to make my own.
It was awful, I'm not sure what I did wrong but I suspect I should have soaked the pork before using it as the salt almost shrank your head it was so strong.

if I do I tend to give the spoon a wipe or a rinse.

Oh yes - its essential to taste, taste and taste when cooking. And given the number of times I do that then I'd have a great big stack of dirty teaspoons if I didn't rinse and use the same one!

Seldom.

If I am cooking, and what I am cooking is BOILING, and it won't be taken off the range in the next few minutes, yes I'll double dip to taste seasonings.

If a friend and I want to share something, we'll decide if we want to double dip (or double sip, as the case may be). It will depend and we discuss.

While growing up, the family never double dipped. My brother and I moved out as adult kids are (usually) apt to do, but when we came together to share food, there was no double dipping.

When Mom passed away, Dad forgot about double dipping protocols. He was now living in a retirement community, and so it wasn't any more like a "family living together, the germs are already shared" thing. He suddenly started double dipping. I mean, taking the serving spoon, serving himself, licking it with lots of loose saliva, and placing it back in the communal dish.

I couldn't handle that, and since it was apparent he was also going into the early stages of dementia, I didn't feel I could say anything, either. I got to the point that I'd just serve one heaping serving for myself and he could eat the rest.

When Mom passed away, Dad forgot about double dipping protocols. He was now living in a retirement community, and so it wasn't any more like a "family living together, the germs are already shared" thing. He suddenly started double dipping. I mean, taking the serving spoon, serving himself, licking it with lots of loose saliva, and placing it back in the communal dish.

I couldn't handle that, and since it was apparent he was also going into the early stages of dementia, I didn't feel I could say anything, either. I got to the point that I'd just serve one heaping serving for myself and he could eat the rest.

Oh dear... my Dad also had dementia so I empathise.

Back
Top Bottom