Do you eat soy products?

MoniqueS

Veteran
Local time
1:07 AM
Website
youngandpennywise.tumblr.com
Soy is another controversial food because there are a lot of conflicting reports. On one hand, it is a low-calorie food, high in protein and can help reduce cholesterol and heart disease, etc. On the other hand, it can supposedly interfere with your hormone balance.

I eat a fair amount of soy in my diet. I eat tofu, miso, tamari, tempeh and edamame quite regularly. I'm not willing to stop eating soy altogether, but I definitely think it is something I need to monitor. Do you guys eat a lot of soy if your diet? Why or why not?

If anyone is interested, I found an article which better explains the risks: http://www.refinery29.com/is-soy-bad-for-you

I find it hard to believe soy is too bad. The Japanese, famous for longevity, live on it!

But then, they also eat a lot of fish, and rice. I wonder if those things just happen to balance out the hormone issues of the soy? Or the Japanese are just genetically adapted to it?

About two decades ago, it was trendy moving towards a healthy eating alternatives and I used to consume several soy product including soy meat, soy ready-to-cook meals, soy germinate salads, tofu, and soy milk, among others.

Actually I only use soy sauce and soy germinate from time to time when I want to get fixed something fresh or with an Oriental flavor.

Although I'm aware of the importance that a healthy, well-balanced diet has in our lives, I prefer to indulge my taste and this calls for beef and other not-so-healthy products.

I am a vegan but I rarely eat soy products. Soy does not agree with my stomach. I feel so bloated and gross after eating it. I'm not sure why my body reacts this way but it does and it is frustrating as I am not left with that many foods to pick from sometimes.

I have never heard of soy l will have to look it up but l'm assuming its not soya, l'm a veggie so l'm always looking for another alternative.

I haven't every tried it. I recall though that we had "soy burgers" in my school cafeteria when I was younger. Those were pretty good. I have a lot of questions about what is possible with soy myself. I wouldn't mind giving it a try though. I shouldn't judge tofu without trying it, but it just doesn't sound or look appealing at all.

I don't eat much soy even though I am a vegetarian. In the US, many people go overboard with soy. My sister is a strict vegan and eats way too much soy. She eats soy cheese, soy yogurt, tofurky meat, soy milk, etc. Also most 98 to 99% of soy in the US is genetic modified. So the little soy that I do eat, I make sure it's organic.

Interesting article, however I think you'd have to consume soy on a daily basis to suffer any side effects. In moderation, there shouldn't be any problem. I'm vegetarian and consume soy products a couple of times per week (soya sauce, tofu, miso) not everyday and haven't experienced any side effects. :)

I went to wholesale market someday ago and, to my surprise, I found a series of ready-to-cook soy products including meat balls, steaks, burgers and more.

Of course, their appearance was really ugly, but people was crazy about buying them in large scale. Probably many of them are retailers and many others could be restaurant owners. But I never though not just in the variety of soy products available there, but also the popularity they have :O

It really kind of amazes me too MyDigitalpoint. As I said before, the soy burgers really were pretty good! I think anything can taste great with the right condiments though. The idea of the soy steak is a little puzzling though. I just don't know how it could possibly trap the same kind of flavor and product the same juiciness as a real steak. But I'd be willing to give it a try.

I definitely eat soy but I try not to overdo it. I had my thyroid taken out in high school and have been on replacement since and always worry it will mess with my dose but it hasn't yet so I try not to think about it. Everything in moderation!

When I was still in my native country I seldom eat soy foods but now that i am living in a country wherein soy is almost included in most of their dishes I am adapted already to it and it had been part of my diet. What I like most is the use of their soybean paste for their soup and it is so delicious. They had so many recipes also for tofu which are all interesting in taste. Maybe eating the right proportion is the key just to meet the right amount of soy we need in our body.

Yes, there are a tremendous amount of soy products available. Both of my mom and sister are vegans. They eat a lot of of soy products. Soy burgers, hot dogs, cheese, yogurt, milk, turkey, etc. It's a huge market.

@ReadmeByAmy: That soybean paste sounds interesting. I eat a lot of soup and I think I would like to try it even though I'm not a big fan of soy products.

Hi. I come from the east so soya/soy base food is a normal thing on the kitchen table. since the discussion here is mostly on tofu, I'm wondering what u guys think of tempeh/ tempe? its also made of soya beans but in a more natural state.

This link is only to show a comparison of the two (which I googled).. I'm not in any way implying that one is better than the other:
http://www.fitsugar.com/Difference-Between-Tofu-Tempeh-1034188

One of the ways that tempeh can be eaten is by serving it as a burger patty. While i was travelling around massachusetts, I was quite surprised to find 'tempeh burger' sold in one of the places there but I later found out that the owner's wife was Indonesian (Malaysia - Indonesia, we're peas of the same pod lol).

Maybe you'd want to check it out as a soy alternative :wink:

TempehBurger.jpg

(EDITED - to include this pic that I got off the net... yayyy I can now upload pics lol)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom