Do you eat soy products?

The soy I consumer is in the form of milk. I am a HUGE fan of vanilla soy milk. It tastes just like regular cow's milk to me, but is easier on the stomach.

I have hard of the controversy surrounding soy and spoke with my doctor about it. She says soy is still a good choice.

I don`t really eat many soy products. I tried eating soy meat a few times, but the taste is horrible in my opinion. The only soy based product I regularly use is soy sauce. It goes well with almost anything and I just love Asian dishes and cooking Asian style, which use a lot of soy sauce.

Like many in this thread, I am also a vegetarian. I have been consuming soy products for about 11 years now (not on an every day basis though). A lot of my friends are also vegetarians and like I, they consume it as well, but on a larger scale. We consume things like soy burgers, soy hot dogs, soy milk and soya sauce. I have yet to feel any side effects, I don't think that it poses so much of a risk if treated properly. Almost everything we consume can lead to some sort of disease.

I love a good amount of soy products, but I don't actively seek them out unless I'm really craving. First off, I love tofu especially when it's prepared right. My favorite preparations are either to deep fry it, or bread it then deep fry then serve with side of soy sauce, or cubed up and mixed with chilli schezuan style ground beef. Also, I'm a sucker for sweetened soy milk, and I even went through a long phase of always grabbing soy milk from the convenience store once almost everyday.

I'm not a big fan soy products and when I do eat soy sauce with sushi or something I prefer the 'diet' version, I think it has less sodium in it. Also it is very salty so trying to find a balance with it can be challenging.

I have to avoid soy products even though I love vanilla soy milk. I used to work at Starbucks a long time ago and I would get a soy caramel machiatto every day. About a month or so went by and I was beginning to feel really sick--tired, sluggish ect. I went to the doctor and told her when I had my bloodwork done. I'm hypothyroid and she told me the soy was slowing down my thyroid even more. I think that it effects some people more than others. Since I already had a thyroid problem, I think it just effected me more. My older sister loves soy milk and she's never had a problem!

I got into soy milk by accident over 20 years ago and loved it enough to temporarily give up dairy. Though that didn't last long, I was told that soy helped maintain hormonal balance, which is what a Dr. would say that I had yrs later.
A few posters mentioned Japanese culture. From what I know, they have a lot of vegetables in their diet and becoming a vegetarian after my diagnosis and having soy eliminated those problems I have having.

Yes, I eat soy and its derivatives. They are a significant source of protein and easier to manage than beans. As a vegan, I am always bothered of the protein reserve in my body. I cannot eat meat, so I have to find and jump to other alternatives. And soy products are a good choice. They are delicious and taste better than meat. They have also a lot of derivatives that could substitute meat derivatives, say for example the soy milk. They contain quite a high fat though, so I still have to watch closely my soy intake. Tofu, for example when I cook it. I often have it steamed than fried to cut down the fat I will be putting in my body. In rare times when I fry it, I use olive oil and eat less than I usually do when it is steamed.

I use soy milk in my coffee instead of creamer. I switched because I thought it would be much healthier. Now I guess I need to do more research! :0)

I never heard that a soy product is bad for health and I think I would not believe it. Maybe in excess amount but if just moderately eating it, there is nothing wrong with it.
I like to eat foods prepared with soy sauce and I also enjoy eating tofu even just fried tofu.

The only time I willingly include soy in my diet is when I have a coffee drink at Starbucks. If Almond milk was an option, I'd choose that, but it isn't. Thankfully, it is not that often anymore because I can make them at home.

It's known that soy messes with estrogen levels. I am experiencing feminine health issues so I don't want to inadvertently cause more problems by overloading my body with estrogen. I don't know if it really makes any difference but there is no point making a problem worse if I don't need to.

Back
Top Bottom