Do you eat tinned (canned) food?

Which of the following tinned (canned) foods do you use?

• Vegetables (including corn but not tomatoes)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Beans and pulses

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Fruit

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Meat

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Fish/shellfish

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Pasta

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Tomatoes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Pies

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Puddings

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Soup

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
I tell a lie. A friend of mine loved "Ambrosia" creamed rice pudding which was one of the few things he found comfortable to eat during his illness. When he died early last year, his wife gave me the one tin he had left. I haven't opened it yet.

I used to use Whitworth's to make my award winning Yorkshire dhal but now I'm reduced to these (which are not too bad).

dried peas.jpg

Yorkshire dhal-1.jpg

Oh...and talking of potatoes I also like Smash (instant potato). Its very useful too for making quick gnocchi or thickening stews.

Oh...and talking of potatoes I also like Smash (instant potato). Its very useful too for making quick gnocchi or thickening stews.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear............

I prefer to peel them with my little knife..........

9f05d5899162ed0c3c7d2279b8262bc0.jpg

I used to use Whitworth's to make my award winning Yorkshire dhal but now I'm reduced to these (which are not too bad).

View attachment 5040
View attachment 5041
I'm puzzled how you are getting them so green. I cooked some recently and had to add fresh parsley to get any sort of green. And its well known that tinned have added colour.

And its well known that tinned have added colour.

I am aware of that (fluorescein, I think). Seriously, there is no colouring in there - could be the light but I doubt it. These were the same peas......

fried fish.jpg

I should add that if I reheat a portion (I normally cook about 8 portions at one time and freeze them) then I may add a little home made mint sauce if the peas are to accompany a pie.

Some recipes advise using split green peas which have the outer greyish green skin removed. That sounds like a plan.

Some recipes advise using split green peas which have the outer greyish green skin removed. That sounds like a plan.

Jamie Oliver advises using garden peas and a masher!!!!

Don't believe everything you read!

Back
Top Bottom