Do you eat tinned (canned) food?

Which of the following tinned (canned) foods do you use?

• Vegetables (including corn but not tomatoes)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Beans and pulses

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Fruit

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Meat

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Fish/shellfish

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Pasta

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Tomatoes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Pies

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Puddings

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Soup

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Jamie Oliver advises using garden peas and a masher!!!!

Don't believe everything you read!
That is just wrong. Lots of chefs have suggested using frozen peas as a sort of 'up market' version of mushy peas. I think its bonkers. But split green peas should taste the same as the whole dried peas.

It seema that heinz have discontinues all sponge pudding! See this tweet: Hi sorry that product is no longer available - we have discontinued the range of tinned sponge puddings.
NO !!!!! I did not know this :cry:
Actually our consumption of tinned food is quite small
Tinned tomatoes - usually for use with spaghetti for a quick meal.Tuna for tuna mayo sandwiches. Baked beans - go with more or less anything. The odd tin of soup [and yes the compulsory Fray Bentos pie] but mostly for emergencies - we live in the country and whichever way we go there is a steep hill to negotiate - can be tricky in winter with a sudden snowfall and a sharp freeze. I must also confess to a liking for some awful bright green mushy peas - bad for us I'm sure but childhood memories are powerful and just occasionally ...
Ps - mustn't forget the cat food or the beer although we do try to stick to bottles [beer not cat food]

I tell a lie. A friend of mine loved "Ambrosia" creamed rice pudding which was one of the few things he found comfortable to eat during his illness. When he died early last year, his wife gave me the one tin he had left. I haven't opened it yet.

Luckily I remembered that. The use by date is 01/2017.

ambrosia.jpg

On offer for 49p at Waitrose:

LN_005809_BP_10.jpgLN_005807_BP_10.jpg

The Ambrosia creamery was founded in 1917 by Albert Morris, in his home village of Lifton in Devon, to make a rich food for infants. He took milk from local farms, where most of the cows were the Red Ruby breed, and dried it with roller dryers. Just prior to the Second World War, the Ambrosia creamery was the first company to start making creamed rice pudding ready in a tin. Following the outbreak of war the vast majority of production was placed in Red Cross food parcels. After the end of hostilities, Ambrosia relaunched the product, along with a creamed macaroni pudding.

Hey! What happened to the macaroni? I had completely forgotten about sweet creamy macaroni pudding!

...although the thread is about tinned food not liquids. Otherwise we have to include beer and soft drinks.
Also - treacle is sold in tins....

It was only recently that I stopped for a coffee in a petrol station on the way to Khorat. The milk was "Carnation" but I didn't initially notice. I took one mouthful and left the rest. 5 km later i had to stop the truck.....

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I have the following tins in my cupboard:

Tomatoes: chopped
Beans: baked beans, chick peas, red kidney beans, white kidney beans (aka cannellini beans), butter beans, broad beans, black-eyed beans, and black beans.
Soup: down to one tin of tomato soup at the moment

Lurking in the bottom of the cupboard is one tin of sweetcorn and one tin of peaches but were only bought as they were on a ludicrously ridiculous special offer for 4 cans and 2 cans respectively. One can of each were needed for particular recipes years ago and I suspect their best before date is long past.
Other than those I have not bought tinned meat, fruit, vegetables, pasta, pies or puddings for years, since caravanning holidays or when I lived in Brixton and Battersea and didn't have a fridge, and the last tinned pie was in a Christmas hamper in 1984! I tend to buy fresh and cook/make my own these days and usually only use the tinned beans when I can't be bothered to use dried (e.g. if just for one meal).

I used to get Ambrosia creamed rice when my daughter was young (she's in her late forties!). Now it's easier to stick an ounce of pudding rice and a pint of milk in a pyrex dish and sling it in the bottom of the oven for a couple of hours. The rice and tapioca puddings were also a treat on a Monday night in the late 1950s/early 1960s when we used to take the Scotties to dog-training classes. It was the only night of the week I was allowed out then and only because my cousins used to take their Westies to the same place (Black and White Whisky anyone? :laugh: ).

One little confession - there is a large array of tinned sardines, tuna and salmon in another quite separate cupboard, but these are for the dog and the cats only. As I cannot eat them, I'm not counting them :D

Back
Top Bottom