Do you ever complain or send food back in restaurants?

When my dear mother was still alive, we went to a steakhouse and they overcooked her steak. She was not nice to the server and browbeat him about it in a supercilious manner. I was a bit embarrassed and I explained to her she should not take it out on him, he didn't cook her steak, and bad things can happen in the kitchen to mean people's food. It came out perfectly the second time, but I still felt really bad she was so mean about it. I gave the server an extra big tip.
At a family dinner in Shanahans On The Green in Dublin, Ireland.
My auntie ordered a filet steak, it came out medium rare, she said that's uncooked, I can't eat that.
It came back medium, she said the same thing, it went back.
It came back a third time, like shoe leather, this pleased her and she ate it.

I was dying on the inside, but I had to bite my lip as I didn't want my dad to know I was embarrassed by her antics.

It is what it is.

At a family dinner in Shanahans On The Green in Dublin, Ireland.
My auntie ordered a filet steak, it came out medium rare, she said that's uncooked, I can't eat that.
It came back medium, she said the same thing, it went back.
It came back a third time, like shoe leather, this pleased her and she ate it.

I was dying on the inside, but I had to bite my lip as I didn't want my dad to know I was embarrassed by her antics.

It is what it is.
My mother years ago had a similar issue with her steak at a restaurant I took her to (I was buying) but she wasn't pleasant about it. I tried to tell her that it's not a good idea to be nasty to the server in a restaurant. No telling what they might do to your food (or the kitchen staff). Yeah, it shouldn't happen, but sometimes staff at certain restaurants retaliate in a passive-aggressive manner like that. Anyway, her steak was actually overcooked, not under. They did get her a new steak that was cooked properly to medium rare.

I would have a hard time eating a meal with someone who wanted steak cooked beyond medium. Even that is borderline unacceptable to me. My dad always said, "Slap the steer on the rear and send it through the fire!"

Not normally. Was at Outback once and the manager asked so I told him. It was crap. He made no offer to amend. Haven’t been back that has probably been ten years ago. Was at a place once and had a pork chop that was cold. Wasn’t complaining, just asked the waitress if she could take it back to have them warm it up. They did. They comped my meal and my wife’s. To be honest I would have been fine with them just warming the chop. But two free meals, who am I to turn that down.

Back
Top Bottom