Do you ever put herbs in sandwiches?

morning glory that’s what I meant:

Ciao.

Occasionally I use for sandwich - Asiago cheese I put radicchio salt cure gammon ham fresh Basilico an smear honey.

Sarana x

There has to be an easier way to get every little leaf off. I can't think what though!
For thyme it's easy - pull each stalk through your fingers from top to bottom, and the leaves strip off easily. Same with rosemary. Only works in the one direction though.

Last edited:
I was thinking today that I don't think I've ever put herbs in a sandwich. But why? I put lettuce leaves, raw spinach leaves, micro greens etc in sandwiches, so why no herbs. I was particularly thinking of coriander leaves as I happen to have some to use up - it was then I realised I'd never put coriander in a sandwich.

Do you ever put herbs in sandwiches?
Good point. Very rarely, but have put coriander in a Coronation chicken sandwich, and chopped chives in an egg mayo sandwich. Otherwise, I can't think of any.

For thyme it's easy - pull each stalk through your fingers from top to bottom, and the leaves strip off easily. Same with rosemary. Only works in the one direction though.

I think I had this discussion with TastyReuben in another thread - as I recall he isn't happy with that method. I can't remember why - it might be that it doesn't remove the leaves 100% or that you can still get bits of twiggy stalk.

I think I had this discussion with TastyReuben in another thread - as I recall he isn't happy with that method. I can't remember why - it might be that it doesn't remove the leaves 100% or that you can still get bits of twiggy stalk.
It may be the variety or the age of the plant. The thyme we grow at home has quite woody stalks, and is easy to strip this way. We have occasionally had growing pots from the supermarket that had much softer stalks and thus more difficult to strip.

If you consider mustard an herb or spice - yes, I like using Dijon mustard on cold sandwiches. Otherwise on cold ones - I really can't remember adding any herbs. I'm not crazy about cold sandwiches however - if I'm having bread, I want it toasted.

I do toasted sandwiches with melted cheese and whatever appropriate veggies or meat are around the house. (Or kitchen, to be precise.) For herbs and spices, I've used cilantro, curry powder, ground pepper, chives, oregano, basil - and yes, watercress is lovely on any sandwich!)

Back
Top Bottom