Do you have any pet peeves relating to the Christmas season?

It was originally a pagan festival. Like the majority of pagan festivals it was 'taken over' by Christians in order to bring the non-believers on board! :whistling:
Old druids circle & remains of a Roman camp nearby.
If I go down the Druid route, just missing one thing!

It was originally a pagan festival. Like the majority of pagan festivals it was 'taken over' by Christians in order to bring the non-believers on board! :whistling:
"It was originally a pagan festival" .......and now it's what? Fortunately I was not involved in the 'take over' so I am still not a believer in the festival. Still I would love if there was something like a 'PeopleMas' every month that could see people happy :laugh:and giving :hug:and spending all year round.

"It was originally a pagan festival" .......and now it's what? Fortunately I was not involved in the 'take over' so I am still not a believer in the festival. Still I would love if there was something like a 'PeopleMas' every month that could see people happy :laugh:and giving :hug:and spending all year round.
Presents and cards every month. :D Good on you for not being taken over!

An odd idea that one - Christmas is not never has been and never will or can be a pagan festival. It doesn't exactly match any definite pagan festival in date [nope not even the winter solstice - mainly because it isn't on the solstice - sorry]. As an example what day you celebrate you birthday on doesn't really matter and doesn't change what you are celebrating. There were hundreds of feast days and dozens of 'local' gods in roman times and before and virtually every holiday / celebration / weekend even will match up with either one of them or their predecessors. As for the druids and their rites they too have suffered from the victorian mythical ideals and very little of what most people think they know now is fact. So any comparison to them is irrelevant. Further Christmas was not quite the orgy of excess that it seems to be now and people were converted more by belief than simple convenience. Did it fit a 'slot' in the calendar - probably. As I said, what anyone chooses to believe is up to them but try to avoid confusing modern commercial greed with ancient fact.

For me Christmas has always been about being second. It has always come first and anyone who is born during the Christmas week will know exactly what I mean. You don't even get decent birthday cards unless people have bought you one 2-3 months in advance because all the cards get taken off the shelves to make space for Christmas cards. Everything is Christmas, Christmas, Christmas and the idea that something else can exist during that week is beyond comprehension. You simply don't exist.

It is that bad that I don't bother with my birthday over Christmas now and actually celebrate it exactly 6months later in a certain week in June! I have a half birthday instead.

That's my pet peeve. Christmas exists and only it exists!

My daughter is born 3 days after Christmas - she's not even one yet but I fear she's going to be in that predicament all her life :(

My daughter is born 3 days after Christmas - she's not even one yet but I fear she's going to be in that predicament all her life :(
We also got married in the Christmas week as well simply because the money and time suddenly became available and it was a case of 'get on with it'... so we have ABC for Christmas... in no particular order, Anniversary, Birthday, Christmas.

I do know someone whose child was born on Christmas day and basically Christmas did not happen until 12pm. The morning was reserved for the child's birthday. The afternoon was Christmas.

Oh, and I get to share my birthday with my brother in law as well. One year when we were over at his parents they had totally forgotten it was my birthday and when the produced a cake for him and him only (it had his name on it) you could see the tension in the air. He knew, he hadn't forgotten, my husband knew and I knew. There were about 15-20 family members present. All I could do was to give a tiny shake of my head to him to make sure he said nothing at that moment in time. He was the only one in his family who had remembered and he is 1 of 4.

We also got married in the Christmas week as well simply because the money and time suddenly became available and it was a case of 'get on with it'... so we have ABC for Christmas... in no particular order, Anniversary, Birthday, Christmas.

I have to say I love this idea. Why not just go all out, if you've already got a birthday and Christmas why not add the anniversary in too! If you've got them all within a week then I guess there's no excuse for anyone to forget the anniversary, right?! Some self preservation going on there :laugh:

I have to say I love this idea. Why not just go all out, if you've already got a birthday and Christmas why not add the anniversary in too! If you've got them all within a week then I guess there's no excuse for anyone to forget the anniversary, right?! Some self preservation going on there :laugh:
All within 5 days!
It's easier to celebrate the days off!

I think my relatives are particularly annoying but there's nothing I can do about that and oh well, it's only once a year, right? I think designing the house very festively is ok but being annoyed by my mother about it is not. Every year she has crazy Christmas trees ideas that no matter how much I dislike she'll still go through with anyway. Some of my family and friends also go overboard with their drinking so that's very annoying to clean up but whatever it's Christmas.

The one thing I dislike most about Christmas is that it has become too commercialize. People are too materialistic it seems. I like the way Christmas use to be back in the day. It wasn't about what was under your tree but who was around it. Christmas it a time to spend with family and friends. It is time to make memories. If you are religious it is s time to go to Christmas services, to celebrate the birth of Christ. It is a time to go Christmas Caroling and to enjoy the beautifully decorated places, It is a time to help the less fortunate. Christmas is a time to enjoy not to be stressed about the perfect gift. I love gifting others but as for me I couldn't care if I got any gifts at all. A simple "Merry Christmas" would do me just fine and a nice visit for a cup of tea and some Christmas treats.

We do not buy each other Christmas presents and we don't have any under the tree. We are not materialistic, instead we will spend extra cash on a fab meal out. This Christmas, as with last year, my dad, my brother and his 3 kids are with us on the day. There will be great food-my husband is a fantastic cook- and there will be a lot of fun and laughter. That is what it means in our house. Family.

Reactions: L_B
Back
Top Bottom