Do you have any scars (burns or cuts) from cooking?

Fiorabelle

Veteran
Local time
3:21 AM
While I'm lucky enough to avoid getting burned in the kitchen or cut, at least half of the people I know who spend a lot of time cooking have a scar or two acquired while cooking. My aunty almost cut a finger off (she ended up getting lots of stitches), after she got distracted cooking after hearing a car crash outside. So I was wondering does anyone hear have a scar from cooking or baking?

Like you I am lucky too that I have no scars like burns or cuts from cooking. I always used kitchen gloves when handling hot pots and pans. And when I am frying fish when the oil is already hot I cover the pan and then I turned off first the fire in the stove when I turn down the other side of the fish. If you will not cover the pan the hot oil will surely splash on your face and will leave a scar. So far I have not experience to be distracted when I am cooking so just be careful in some ways to avoid this inconveniences in our cooking.

I'm afraid my hands and forearms are covered in them, but most are from working in a professional kitchen where you get so very tired and accidents happen. I even have a 'tattoo'ed scar' where the ground steel from the knife I was sharpening has gotten into the wound and coloured it grey. I currently have 2 burns trying hard to heal - one on a finger and one by my wrist on the upper side of my hand :(...

Between cooking and living outdoors with exceptionally sharp knives (etc) my hands are a network of scars and burns!

I'm a klutz...even in the kitchen, or should I say 'especially' in the kitchen bcos I sure hv the burns/scars to prove it he3

I'm afraid my hands and forearms are covered in them, but most are from working in a professional kitchen where you get so very tired and accidents happen. I even have a 'tattoo'ed scar' where the ground steel from the knife I was sharpening has gotten into the wound and coloured it grey. I currently have 2 burns trying hard to heal - one on a finger and one by my wrist on the upper side of my hand :(...

Between cooking and living outdoors with exceptionally sharp knives (etc) my hands are a network of scars and burns!

Ouch. However, if you're going to get scars, then it's preferable that they're from doing something you love. So at least when you see your scars, they remind you of your dedication to your profession and your passion for cooking.:wink: Your grey "tattoo'ed" scar sounds especially unique.

I have been fortunate because I don't have any cook scars. I have been burned, but never developed any scars. I have developed a high tolerance for heat on my hands. I moved a hot cast iron skillet and my nephew nearly freaked out. His fear took me by surprise. I don't think twice about touching a hot skillet.

I have cut myself while cooking a few times, but I am really lucky not to have any scar. I have also burned my couples a couple of times with no consequences from it.

I worked festival food concessions with a friend for a few years. We had a guy who worked with us whose arms were totally covered with scars from fryer grease. assume that was because he just didn't know what he was doing.

Oh My Gosh, where do I start. I can't feel my finger tips half the time when I start cooking. My tong is always burned. For some reason I take out a very hot tray out of the oven and try move to somewhere else with my bare hands. I really don't have scars from my cooking but I do burn myself a bleeding lot.

I worked festival food concessions with a friend for a few years. We had a guy who worked with us whose arms were totally covered with scars from fryer grease. assume that was because he just didn't know what he was doing.

Ouch ... you'd think your friend would learn to be careful over the years, although perhaps the pain and scars didn't bother him so he didn't feel the need to adjust his behavior. :eek:

I have been fortunate because I don't have any cook scars. I have been burned, but never developed any scars. I have developed a high tolerance for heat on my hands. I moved a hot cast iron skillet and my nephew nearly freaked out. His fear took me by surprise. I don't think twice about touching a hot skillet.

Lucky you. I would have winced watching someone move a hot skillet too. I'm super careful with hot objects as I don't have a high tolerance for extreme heat. I remember going to a shallow natural hot pool and standing ankle deep it in along with lots of other tourists. The heat felt really hot (a burning sensation) but I thought everyone else was feeling the same thing and I should just get over it. Afterwards my feet were burnt on the soles (they healed thankfully) and everyone else was shocked at how red they were.

If you work in a busy kitchen, full-time, then accidents are bound to happen. I have many scars from burns and cuts... some cuts needed stitches but for those who work in a kitchen... tough sh*t. Tape it, glove it and keep cooking. CrazyGlue does come in handy! Treat every pan as if it is hot and you wont get burned. Respect the knife and you wont get cut (very often at least, haha)

Unfortunaltely, I have burned myself more times than I care to count or admit. I do have a decent size scar on my left arm. It has been there for years! When I was in high school, I decided to make homemade cookies for my Grandmother who was visiting. I accidently burnt my forearm on the cookie sheet. It was the worst burn I have ever had! Years later, the scar is STILL there! My grandmother is no longer with us, but I think of her everytime I see the scar. Who needs a tatoo?! Haha!
More recently, as in last night-I was baking a chocolate cake. I was trying to do too many things at once. I burnt the same left arm. The burn was not super bad. I do not think it will scar!-at least I hope it doesn't scar!

I am always burning my self, from the oven when taking food out, I at lest get over ten burns a year from it, A lot of them don't scare on me, Right now i only have one showing on my arm, Im very.. i guess you can say not aware of my surroundings lol

What a lovely topic for my first post!! I can definitely relate to this one... I was grating potatoes to make a big potato cake (never doing that again, grating potatoes gets REALLY tiring and it wasn't worth the effort) and I ended up grating a big chunk out of my thumb! Bled like a stuck pig (somehow avoided bleeding into the food though) and months later I still have a little mark on my thumb. :'(

My housemate also got a huge burn on his arm from hot oil. That one was a bit more dramatic.

Back
Top Bottom