Do you have meat free days?

My meat free days are Fridays! On Fridays I will usually eat pizza or like a meatless pasta. I am not a seafood person so I cannot replace meat with fish or anything like that. But I do eat a lot more fruits and veggies as well.

I don't eat enough meet in general to need a meat free day. Though I'm not a vegetarian, most of my food could easily qualify as vegetarian food. Also I don't think that not eating meat for one day of the week would benefit you in any way at all. It's probably more of a psychological thing in my opinion.

Not "days" necessarily, but sometimes meals. I try to include at least some meat in every meal. Even if it's just a small amount of ground hamburger in a hot dish or something. More often it's the breakfast meals that are meat free unless I decide to make some bacon or sausage.

I am visiting Istanbul now and one dish that you can find in restaurants and food stalls everywhere is cig kofte. It was once made of raw meet mixed with bulgur and spices (different types of Turkish pepper) and eaten on lavas bread and wrapped in lettuce leaves. Nowadays it's made just with bulgur and spices (they stopped them from making it with raw meat) and eaten wrapped in lavas and lettuce with a squeeze of lemon. It is my favorite meatless snack in all of Turkey!

I am visiting Istanbul now and one dish that you can find in restaurants and food stalls everywhere is cig kofte. It was once made of raw meet mixed with bulgur and spices (different types of Turkish pepper) and eaten on lavas bread and wrapped in lettuce leaves. Nowadays it's made just with bulgur and spices (they stopped them from making it with raw meat) and eaten wrapped in lavas and lettuce with a squeeze of lemon. It is my favorite meatless snack in all of Turkey!
I rather like the tahini and grape molasses (tahin-pekmez) with fresh turkish bread dipped into it, but have to confess to my favourite snack being these...
IMG_4114_1024.JPG

freshly made baklava... just not the same outside of Turkey...

I rather like the tahini and grape molasses (tahin-pekmez) with fresh turkish bread dipped into it, but have to confess to my favourite snack being these...
View attachment 106

freshly made baklava... just not the same outside of Turkey...
I love baklava too! Especially those with pistachio toppings!

There is a pastry and sweet shop just 5 minutes away from where I am currently staying and I have the urge to just go there and grab a boxful just like the ones in your photo! They look irresistable, by the way.

Me and my husband have meat free days. We mostly eat salad and pastas.

Sort of, but most of the time it is not by a conscious decision, it just happens naturally. When I say "sort of" I generally mean that I may still use something like chicken stock in the meal, but not any actual meat itself beyond that. I know I could swap it out for vegetable broth (or even clam juice, since some vegetarians don't technically object to that either), but I really prefer the flavor of chicken broth in most cases.

Usually on days when I am craving dairy products, I will end up being meat free. Other days I am craving tomato sauces or mushrooms, so again they end up being meat free.

I try to limit the meat as well just to keep my grocery bills down. A can of mushrooms in a sauce is much cheaper than a pound of ground beef, for example.

My meat free days is every Monday to Friday. Me and my husband only eat meat occasionally during Saturday or Sunday. We do value our health already that is why we are now eating the healthy way.. We eat more fruits, vegetables, fish and sometimes chicken during weekdays and we know these will works best for us.

I have meat-free days on occasion, usually a Thursday.

Unfortunately, I love meat. So going long without a bit of protein (from another animal) is a challenge for me.

My meat-free days normally involve salads and lots of fruit.

We did have meatless Fridays when my mom was around. It was more as a sacrifice for that one day in the week. Also, in Lent season before Easter we absolutely have no meat, including eggs.

So, to answer you - yes we do have a meatless day in a week.

This is basically for the carnivores here. Do you have meat free days during the week? The 'Meatless Mondays' campaign aimed to raise awareness of healthy eating, and the need to reduce our carbon footprint. Going meatless on one day a week helps reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease, as well as conserving water and fossil fuels, and of course, saving you money.

We have one day a week when our main meal consists of home made vegetable soup with crusty bread. We follow this with fresh fruit and yogurt or ice cream, and we actually look forward to our meat free day. Do you have a meat free day? What do you eat on that day?

Some days I do go without meat but it's never just "planned" like Meatless Mondays. I'm a veggie lover so I can eat an entire meal filled with veggies or a veggie salad that contains no meat. But like I said, not planned --- just kind of works out that way.

Back
Top Bottom