Do you have someone to talk with that........

Sadly, no. Hubby is a good cook, but doesn't feel cookery. He can follow instructions to the letter and produce an excellent meal if the instructions are correct. But he doesn't taste test or check and doesn't know how to smell a spice and know if it will work with the meal. I find that frustrating. I guess I'm lucky in that sense. I can just smell a spice and know if it will work with the taste of the meal, improve it or work with it. He had to actually put it in and taste it to find out.

But that said there are some dishes he is better at that I am because he follows to the letter... So whilst I can talk shop with him, send him out for stranger ingredients than most folk can deal with, he can't talk shop back.

Here, most of the time, I can talk shop and people understand but I know I'm at the outer limits of what most people here are comfortable with. Things like my raw onion bread, my miso kale crisps, a new recipe I did today for a flavoring of kale crisps, my water kefir or cashew nut cheeses are there really just for me. I'm just glad sauerkraut and sourdough are subjects i can discuss here.

My ex was good cook, but an excellent baker. Like your Hubby, she stuck to recipes, and all the weights and measurements. Those are musts for baking. I view recipes as "suggestions." :wink:

We had a "date night" every week, and tried new restaurants and foods. We had another couple in the neighborhood who cooked with us, and went out with on a regular basis. The husband had restaurant kitchen experience, and his wife did prep work for the rest of us -- that was her "talent."

The ex is gone, and the other couple moved across country.

CD

I view recipes as "suggestions." :wink:
That is me completely, as you have probably worked out. But when it comes to baking, I work by feel. Scones and sourdough mostly, but other things like pancakes, pikelets, crumpets, Staffordshire oatcakes. I just know the feel and quantities by sight. Hubby will add 1 tbsp of salt if a recipe calls for it (even if it is clearly a typo). Me inn the other hand will look at the quantity, say words that can't be typed here without the censoring kicking in and question why. I'm salt sensitive, and hate the taste of salt because as a child I couldn't use toothpaste so my doctor had me using salt instead. Yuck and more.

That is me completely, as you have probably worked out. But when it comes to baking, I work by feel. Scones and sourdough mostly, but other things like pancakes, pikelets, crumpets, Staffordshire oatcakes. I just know the feel and quantities by sight. Hubby will add 1 tbsp of salt if a recipe calls for it (even if it is clearly a typo). Me inn the other hand will look at the quantity, say words that can't be typed here without the censoring kicking in and question why. I'm salt sensitive, and hate the taste of salt because as a child I couldn't use toothpaste so my doctor had me using salt instead. Yuck and more.

I'm pretty much the same as you guys. Most from memory or what looks right.

Russ

@pokerzombie............oh wait, that's his tag on my pokerchipforum lol.

Anyways, he used to kind of be my mentor before I found this place.

Most of my friends think my taste in food is weird. I don't think I could ever persuade them to have a curry and their idea of a pizza is something you get from a takeaway. As for German, Austrian, or Middle Eastern food, forget it. None of them seem to be interested in cooking. The only person I actually speak to about food is my daughter and often because she wants to know how to cook something special or is panicking because [she thinks] she's made a complete balls up of something.

I do have a couple of friends on Facebook who often post about food and come up with some decent recipes, but the photos they post about their food look horrendous to me. Their baking is fine; it's just the normal meals that look so unappetising to the point of looking like slop dished up on a plate. I know I'm not very good when it comes to taking photos of my food but at least I try to make it look OK. Another only seems to post recipes by other people (although she didn't post one I sent her which looked to be right up her street). I have a recipe group too, but hardly anyone seems to post their own recipes on there, although they all seem to like mine. Perhaps my long list of allergies and intolerances puts them off.

If I want to talk about food, I prefer coming on here :D

Do I have someone to talk with about cooking? Of course I do. I have all of you! :chef:

Outside of that, not so much. There's no one I know who's as much of a fanatic as I am. There are some people who will grudgingly make food for get-together, but generally people I know prefer to buy something that's pre-made or from a restaurant.

A woman I sit next to at work is a PHENOMENAL baker. We do occasionally talk about the technical details about the things she made, because she sometimes just feels like making something amazing and sharing it with everyone. I'm glad I sit where I sit on those days.

If there's a specific thing that someone made at a get-together that I particularly liked, I will talk in detail about how they made it. That's always fun for me. My wife and I used to go to cooking classes together, but that was more of a date night activity, and she never wanted to pursue it outside the class. I briefly had my daughter interested in making things, but she's lost interest, too.

But, like I said, I still have all of you.

Do I have someone to talk with about cooking? Of course I do. I have all of you! :chef:

Outside of that, not so much. There's no one I know who's as much of a fanatic as I am. There are some people who will grudgingly make food for get-together, but generally people I know prefer to buy something that's pre-made or from a restaurant.

A woman I sit next to at work is a PHENOMENAL baker. We do occasionally talk about the technical details about the things she made, because she sometimes just feels like making something amazing and sharing it with everyone. I'm glad I sit where I sit on those days.

If there's a specific thing that someone made at a get-together that I particularly liked, I will talk in detail about how they made it. That's always fun for me. My wife and I used to go to cooking classes together, but that was more of a date night activity, and she never wanted to pursue it outside the class. I briefly had my daughter interested in making things, but she's lost interest, too.

But, like I said, I still have all of you.

Couldn't say it better. My son worries me, not even remotely interested in cooking. His wife is pretty good though. I've offered to,show him some of faves, but he says he doesn't need to know. That's why I'm here,lmao. I like to run stuff by folks on here as well.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom