Do You Like Cold Cereal?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:26 AM
Do you like cold cereal?

I like it and usually have it for breakfast during the week, saving the weekends for a proper cooked breakfast (though sometimes an egg sandwich will sneak in).

I generally like the "healthier" cereals: shredded wheat, Raisin Bran, muesli, granola, Grape-Nuts, etc. My favorite sweet cereal is Golden Grahams. This morning, I had a bowl of Wheat Chex with raisins tossed in. We currently have eight boxes of cereal in the house.

My wife looooves cereal, and will eat it for any meal, any snack, any time of day or night. Her grandmother's nickname for her was "cereal girl," because that's what she always wanted to eat as a child. She goes for sweet cereals, with Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, and Cap'n Crunch Crunchberries her favorites. Her lone healthier choice is Raisin Bran, though she also likes Life ("He likes it! Hey, Mikey!").

What about you? Yay or nay? Corn Flakes or Cocoa-Puffs? Maybe you use it in recipes every so often?

I eat porridge, cereal or granola every morning without fail since at least 15 years.

My favorite kind of cereal is cinnamon crunch, but that's sadly only available through import and very costly. So usually I either sprinkle cinnamon through a box of frosties or I have coco pops instead. I always eat them with fruit and vanilla flavor unsweetened yoghurt.

When it comes to granola I like Quaker with five nuts or apple/raisin. Basically the same flavors I use with porridge. I eat granola with yoghurt too.

Do you like cold cereal?

I like it and usually have it for breakfast during the week, saving the weekends for a proper cooked breakfast (though sometimes an egg sandwich will sneak in).

I generally like the "healthier" cereals: shredded wheat, Raisin Bran, muesli, granola, Grape-Nuts, etc. My favorite sweet cereal is Golden Grahams. This morning, I had a bowl of Wheat Chex with raisins tossed in. We currently have eight boxes of cereal in the house.

My wife looooves cereal, and will eat it for any meal, any snack, any time of day or night. Her grandmother's nickname for her was "cereal girl," because that's what she always wanted to eat as a child. She goes for sweet cereals, with Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, and Cap'n Crunch Crunchberries her favorites. Her lone healthier choice is Raisin Bran, though she also likes Life ("He likes it! Hey, Mikey!").

What about you? Yay or nay? Corn Flakes or Cocoa-Puffs? Maybe you use it in recipes every so often?

Only time I have cereal is when on holiday in Nelson, my fave place in nz. I call it a Nelson brekky, it is corn flakes with tinned fruit, full cream. Then a piece of toast with lots of butter and marmalade, maybe a small yoghurt. Then a cup of coffee. I usually make this after cooking a full brekky for wife, kids and grandkids.

It's my treat for the year. Rest of the year I can't be bothered doing this.

I ate cereal nearly every morning as a kid. Now, I only eat it is there is nothing else to eat at the "free" hotel breakfast -- and I dodn't have time to go somewhere else. When I do eat cold cereal, I prefer mild sweetness, like Cheerios. Honey Nut Cheerios would be my favorite.

CD

I'm more than happy with cereal but its only the actual healthy stuff not the stuff featured as being healthy (such as special K, featured as while this that and the other, but laden with sugar).

I love things like Shreddies (ok maybe not that healthy), grape nuts, rice krispies (plain ones), Weet-Bix/Weetabix, bran flakes (don't seem to be able to get in Australia), granola, Just Right, Corn Flakes or Wheat flakes, one or two muesli such as the nut muesli that Dorset cereals do and porridge. I'm such I've missed a few but...

What I don't like are things like dried fruit of any kind in my muesli or cereal or granola. I don't actually like them in anything really (nor by themselves) and I can distinctly remember one of our favorite cereals containing dried pineapple which I can't have, so I used to pick out all of the pineapple before I added milk or yoghurt and give it to my husband!

Growing up and at uni, I used to live off Shreddies all the time. I could easily eat them 3 times a day or as a snack. I just used to buy the biggest box I could lay my hands on and with 3 pts of full cream milk a day being delivered to me at uni, I could eat as much as I wanted with a pint of chocolate milk (separately) to drink. The chocolate powder could only be bought in France and came in a red and brown/black striped tin. It wasn't that sweet and didn't have loads of added extras like milk powder but I've not seen it in years. Family used to go to France regularly so would buy me 5 or 6 tins at a time. It was pretty cheap.

At the moment we've switched from porridge oats soaked overnight in homemade soy yoghurt and eaten cold and raw, to Dorset Cereals' Simply Nut Granola with homemade soy yoghurt. We'll switch back again before long...

I will confess I have a weakness for Froot Loops, as do the pugs, but I rarely indulge. Also, even more rarely Rice Crispies with either bananas or canned peaches.

The one super-sweet cereal that's my downfall is Fruity Pebbles. If there's a box in the house, I'll eat it all in one sitting. Also, rice crispy treats made with Fruity Pebbles...that's what they serve in Heaven.

The big issue for me is that almost all prepared cereal brands have sugar added. I just don't like sweet cereal and I don't need the added calories either. Far as I know, shredded wheat is the only manufactured cereal which has no added sugar. Cornflakes are not too bad. So if I have cereal (which is rare) it is usually one or the other with ice cold almond milk (which also saves loads of calories).

Healthy cereal: The best and worst cereals revealed

What I don't like are things like dried fruit of any kind in my muesli or cereal or granola.

I could eat as much as I wanted with a pint of chocolate milk (separately) to drink.
I love dried fruit in my cereal, but I hate nuts. I pick out the obvious ones, but I usually can make a good approximation of muesli at home and leave the nuts out altogether.

Nut clusters, though, are fine. Probably because they're held together with sugar. :)

Also, chocolate milk poured over some cereals is delicious (or strawberry milk, or banana milk - but not actual banana milk made with mashed up bananas, but proper artificially-flavored banana milk) - Frosted Flakes benefits from that...Rice Krispies...etc.

The big issue for me is that almost all prepared cereal brands have sugar added. I just don't like sweet cereal and I don't need the added calories either. Far as I know, shredded wheat is the only manufactured cereal which has no added sugar. Cornflakes are not too bad. So if I have cereal (which is rare) it is usually one or the other with ice cold almond milk (which also saves loads of calories).

Healthy cereal: The best and worst cereals revealed
That's a very misleading article though. They have given and ranked according to assuming you'd eat 100g of each of those cereals. Now a typical serving isn't close to that in a lot of cases.

My husband and I don't don't even have 50g of porridge oats between us let alone the 100g they are giving the figures for and ranking accordingly and our granda is only 45g per serving. I've just checked the porridge oats we get here and a serving is 40g so roughly 160 Kcalories not the 400 Kcals given in the article (I'm rounding figure upwards for ease here).

It is rather like assuming that everyone puts 100 ml of milk on their 100g of cereal.

Also, chocolate milk poured over some cereals is delicious (or strawberry milk, or banana milk - but not actual banana milk made with mashed up bananas, but proper artificially-flavored banana milk) - Frosted Flakes benefits from that...Rice Krispies...etc.
that's just about the worst possible idea ... shudders at the thought.

I am the person who always searches out either the sugar-free jam or at the very minimum the diabetic low-sugar jams.

that's just about the worst possible idea ... shudders at the thought.

I am the person who always searches out either the sugar-free jam or at the very minimum the diabetic low-sugar jams.
There are a couple of completely-human-made flavors that I prefer to the natural ones: that fake-banana flavor, like what you find in LaffyTaffy (if you have that candy) is...sublime. Same with that fake-strawberry flavor in powdered strawberry milk is just...there are no words!

Regarding milk, I'm one who puts the barest minimum on. I want each piece of cereal just barely wet, and that's it. My wife drowns hers. I use about 1/4 cup at most, and she's closer to two cups.

There are a couple of completely-human-made flavors that I prefer to the natural ones: that fake-banana flavor, like what you find in LaffyTaffy (if you have that candy) is...sublime. Same with that fake-strawberry flavor in powdered strawberry milk is just...there are no words!

Regarding milk, I'm one who puts the barest minimum on. I want each piece of cereal just barely wet, and that's it. My wife drowns hers. I use about 1/4 cup at most, and she's closer to two cups.
I can't stand artificial flavours. My brother was hyper-active as a kid and E numbers and artificial flavours were tracked down as the culprits after sugar was ruled out. So they were banned from the entire household. It didn't bother me because I couldn't have them anyway along with any kind of fruit, or things such as yoghurt (unless plain and even then only sometimes), vinegar, or anything acidic and things like toothpaste (I had to use salt! I now hate salt as a result).

One of the things that quietened down the problems with my tongue when it flared up was ice cold fill cream milk. That soothed my tongue considerably. I guess it is why I lived off milk because it took decades to get to the bottom of the issues and work out what 'medication' was needed to deal with my tongue issues (chronic permanent Geographic tongue, a firm of psoriasis in the mouth, back in the 70s even getting the doctor to beleive that there was an issue was a major challenge for my mother. It's not a particularly well known problem despite the fact that at some point in their lives ⅓rd off the population will suffer from the condition (though most don't even realise that it is a medical condition). I suffer from it permanently sadly. It's genetic so all I can do is manage the symptoms, it won't ever go away.

So I used to use loads of milk. It was pretty much all I could drink other than water. And I would get through 2 or 3 pints every day minimum. Other people would buy a bottle of coke (brother), I'd buy a pint of milk. (Green top if I could get my hands on it, otherwise full cream always, glass bottle, cream at the top).

It's hard to see, but there's 1/4 cup of milk in that. I give it a good stir, and by the time I sit down to eat it, what little milk is there has been completely absorbed by the cereal.

I haven't had cold cereal for at least 12, maybe 15 years, but back in the day I liked Grape Nuts, Shredded Wheat, and some of the Chex cereals. (NO raisins please.)

I'd use whole milk and brown sugar. On the few times available, I'd slice in some strawberries or bananas. My cereal would look almost as dry as Tasty's, but not quite. Maybe I'm a half a cup milk person?

I stopped with the kid types of cereals when I stopped being a kid.

Back
Top Bottom