Do you like sushi?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:32 PM
[Mod.edit: Posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]
I don't know why I never got keen on Indian foods, especially curries. It just never happened. Same with most Japanese foods. I like other Asian foods, just not Japanese and Indian.

CD
Do you like sushi?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care for sushi either, though I don't hate it. There aren't really any types of dishes I hate. I'm just 'underwhelmed' by sushi. I also think the idea of sushi chefs training for 10 years to become an 'Itamae' (sushi master) is very strange.

I don't care for sushi either, though I don't hate it. There aren't really any types of dishes I hate. I'm just 'underwhelmed' by sushi. I also think the idea of sushi chefs training for 10 years to become an 'Itamae' (sushi master) is very strange.
On the surface it might seem that way after all it's just a small ball of seasoned cold rice with something on top.

Pasta is just boiled wet flour.

Personally I can't imagine being underwhelmed by sushi, but tastes are tastes. Or maybe there's no decent sushi where some people live.

I just meant that, yes I like all the tastes - raw fish, seaweed, rice, etc. but I don't really get excited about them being rolled up in sushi fashion. I'd rather eat all those things on a plate and dip and dive as I wish and add lots of other ingredients if I want. Its the rigorous way they have to conform to a shape and only contain certain ingredients that underwhelms me.

Pasta is just boiled wet flour.

Personally I can't imagine being underwhelmed by sushi, but tastes are tastes. Or maybe there's no decent sushi where some people live.
Understanding a culture and tradition requires someone to first and foremost understand the nuance through mostly participation. When you don't it's just a bunch of ingredients that someone might or might not like.

On the flip side there are so many underwhelming sushi restaurants where the people that work there have actually no traditional Japanese sushi training. In Ontario that is probably in the 90% of establishments.

The latest one that came to mind was in a new Foodland in Picton where I live where there is a dedicated Sushi area and the employees were all Asian with all but 1 being Japanese, probably the owner, I never asked. Anyway I could tell from their production in plain view that this wasn't going to be anything special but i purchased some to go anyway and let me just say that was some of the worst sushi I've ever tasted and it was just freshly made.

We love sushi, all kind, shapes, sizes, raw, veggie, cooked protein, seaweed or no.
I make my own, not often, but I do have cheat ways...

IMG_1466.JPG

I have different "forms" and powdered seasoning.

IMG_1467.JPG

I finally found this here in the Continental US to make this

cone sushi.jpg

(photo credit Pinterest)
Cone Sushi or Inarizushi, YUM!
It's just seasoned rice, some fine chopped or shredded veg, like mushroom, carrot, green beans and some sesame seeds.
DANG IT ALL!!!
Now I want Sushi, but I don't have the time today... note to self: put some aside to make a platter of assorted Sushi!!!

I must say that my all time favorite Sushi is Spam Musubi, a Hawaii staple

IMG_5650.JPG

This is made with un-seasoned Rice in that rectangular form in my photo above.
IMG_5654.JPG

And I don't mess around, I cut thick slices of Spam, fried it crisp, sauté that in a teriyaki sauce and assemble :bravo:

<edit - Musubi is a type of Onigiri>

I love sushi and have had many meals sat at the YoSushi conveyor belt selecting my favourite dishes. Once in a Dubai restaurant when visiting my daughter I ordered sushi for three, only to be told by my wife that she didn't want any, so she and my daughter ordered different meals leaving all the sushi to me. I managed to finish all three portions without a problem.

I can get the dislike for sushi. Traveling around Europe and coming from LA, the sushi I was exposed to vs the sushi you can get in Japan are night and day. Sushi started off as a way to preserve fish in the Edo Era, then became something refined (think of it as on par with the tea ceremony) and is now also a fast food (think supermarket and "conveyer belt" restaurants.

From what I've seen, outside Japan sushi is localized, kind of like how pizza changes country to country, region to region.

If you ever do come to Japan, be open minded. :wink:

Here's a funny skit about sushi.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDL8yu34fz0

Back
Top Bottom