Do you like sushi?

I love sushi, probably because of how I got to know it though.

You see, I'd never eaten sushi before I met my husband but it was his favorite food. And we went to our ( now favorite) sushi restaurant on our first date. And I really loved their sushi!

So now sushi is a favorite because of the memories, and the fact that my husband adores seafood.

I do have to admit that I like ' Westernized ' sushi the best, so the crunchy & spicy tuna rolls. I do wish to go to a real Japanese restaurant once to try the real stuff though. Our current ' sushi' restaurant is actually run by Chinese people.

Last edited:
My only adventures into Sushi land was in Kuala Lumpur because I occasionally took the Chief Accountant's secretary out to lunch and she loved it. I can now take it or leave it, preferably the latter.

My grand niece LOVES it!! Took her out to dinner at a Chinese / Japanese resturant last summer. She devoured it!! :whistling:

I can get the dislike for sushi. Traveling around Europe and coming from LA, the sushi I was exposed to vs the sushi you can get in Japan are night and day. Sushi started off as a way to preserve fish in the Edo Era, then became something refined (think of it as on par with the tea ceremony) and is now also a fast food (think supermarket and "conveyer belt" restaurants.

From what I've seen, outside Japan sushi is localized, kind of like how pizza changes country to country, region to region.

If you ever do come to Japan, be open minded. :wink:

Here's a funny skit about sushi.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDL8yu34fz0
Loved the video, very funny lol.

Have you eaten at Sushi Saito? A good friend raves about it. If I ever get to Japan I promised I'd make sure I dined there? I'm a sushi fan, big time, it's just so disappointing most of the time. The biggest disappointing element is the rice and of course if you haven't actually apprenticed for a qualified sushi chef/master then what is presented is an interpretation and to most people rice is rice and in there lies the basic problem. Cheers.

Have you eaten at Sushi Saito?
No. Never heard of it, but there are sushi restaurants all 'round. IMO, sushi restaurants on or near the coast (like in Aomori or Hokkaido) have the best seafood. If you're in Tokyo, going to the restaurants around the fish markets is always a good bet for reasonably priced sushi/sashimi. 😉

No. Never heard of it, but there are sushi restaurants all 'round. IMO, sushi restaurants on or near the coast (like in Aomori or Hokkaido) have the best seafood. If you're in Tokyo, going to the restaurants around the fish markets is always a good bet for reasonably priced sushi/sashimi. 😉
I've just been informed that Sushi Saito, which is in Tokyo has closed to the public. It's an 8 seat sushi bar and had a 3 star Michelin rating for years. They apparently couldn't take the amount of inquiries and reservations and manage that aspect with such a small restaurant, so they shut it down to the general public and only repeat customers or someone referred by a regular customer can dine there. Because it has been closed to the general public Michelin removed the Michelin rating altogether. He employs 4 people in the back kitchen which is a lot considering it's an 8 seat establishment. Apparently he has a full restaurant for as long as he's in business. I guess I won't be eating there lol. Cheers.

I've just been informed that Sushi Saito, which is in Tokyo has closed to the public. It's an 8 seat sushi bar and had a 3 star Michelin rating for years. They apparently couldn't take the amount of inquiries and reservations and manage that aspect with such a small restaurant, so they shut it down to the general public and only repeat customers or someone referred by a regular customer can dine there. Because it has been closed to the general public Michelin removed the Michelin rating altogether. He employs 4 people in the back kitchen which is a lot considering it's an 8 seat establishment. Apparently he has a full restaurant for as long as he's in business. I guess I won't be eating there lol. Cheers.
I think I know what you're talking about. There was a documentary some where about this guy.

Traditional high end sushi restaurants are typically small as the chef interacts with all the customers and at such a place prices start at 200-300 per person. I prefer molecular gastronomy restaurants at those prices. 😉

I don't eat sushi on account of the raw fish / seafood that's used to make it. I'm too afraid of getting sick from it! :yuck:

I don't eat sushi on account of the raw fish that's used to make it. I'm too afraid of getting sick from it! :yuck:
There are some sushi that are made with vegetables, my personal favs.
Even cooked items like steak, had that recently, very nice
IMG_1344.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG

Back
Top Bottom