Do you like sushi?

Here's another video. As well as showing fresh tuna, later in the video a large shrimp is dispatched in the sushi restaurant just before consumption.
Interesting. I never saw that part of the auction. I looked online and they said there are two kinds of tuna: Those caught and stored at zero (the ones in your video) and those caught and sold at -60C (the ones in my video).

The articles I read didn't go on to talk about parasites, only length of time at sea and distance from Japan. For example, according to this article, you can keep the fish at zero for up to two weeks before taking the fist back to be sold as "raw, unfrozen".

マグロの運搬:生マグロと冷凍マグロ

This article says that freezing -40C for 24 hours or longer kills all parasites, so there are risks in eating the "raw, unfrozen" fish but it's basically safe. And that farmed tuna has zero risk as it's never exposed to parasites in the open ocean.

まぐろ(鮪)の寄生虫アニサキス・クドア!刺身の食中毒症状・冷凍で対策!

Since all fish is frozen when shipped to the US, your safe from parasites. And, from what I read, unless you're eating at high end restaurants in Japan, you're also safe as they use the frozen fish or farmed fish to keep costs down -- so have a taste. 😁

Interesting. I never saw that part of the auction. I looked online and they said there are two kinds of tuna: Those caught and stored at zero (the ones in your video) and those caught and sold at -60C (the ones in my video).

The articles I read didn't go on to talk about parasites, only length of time at sea and distance from Japan. For example, according to this article, you can keep the fish at zero for up to two weeks before taking the fist back to be sold as "raw, unfrozen".

マグロの運搬:生マグロと冷凍マグロ

This article says that freezing -40C for 24 hours or longer kills all parasites, so there are risks in eating the "raw, unfrozen" fish but it's basically safe. And that farmed tuna has zero risk as it's never exposed to parasites in the open ocean.

まぐろ(鮪)の寄生虫アニサキス・クドア!刺身の食中毒症状・冷凍で対策!

Since all fish is frozen when shipped to the US, your safe from parasites. And, from what I read, unless you're eating at high end restaurants in Japan, you're also safe as they use the frozen fish or farmed fish to keep costs down -- so have a taste. 😁
From what I understand there are multiple auctions taking place simultaneously. I would suspect frozen tuna is probably served at the majority of sushi restaurants considering the vast difference in prices. The one walk in at our restaurant is for mostly proteins and it's at 2C. All my seafood that is fish will be packed with ice as well in perforated pans.

The parasite situation is from what I remember mostly susceptible in specific species and the main fish used for sushi in the high end restaurants stay clear of those particular species and apparently to find parasites in fresh tuna for example is akin to winning the lottery, literally.

The argument that we the chefs in Ontario sited was the counter arguments of possible food poisonings and hospital encounters from Sushi restaurants in Ontario, ever. They could not provide a single case, which basically made our case to keep sushi fresh and not frozen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/ontario-thaws-out-frozen-sushi-rules-1.511134

Last edited:
The parasite situation is from what I remember mostly susceptible in specific species and the main fish used for sushi in the high end restaurants stay clear of those particular species and apparently to find parasites in fresh tuna for example is akin to winning the lottery, literally.

The argument that we the chefs in Ontario sited was the counter arguments of possible food poisonings and hospital encounters from Sushi restaurants in Ontario, ever. They could not provide a single case, which basically made our case to keep sushi fresh and not frozen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/ontario-thaws-out-frozen-sushi-rules-1.511134

The Japanese could learn a thing or two about sushi from chefs in Ontario. :wink:

CD

The Japanese could learn a thing or two about sushi from chefs in Ontario. :wink:

CD
Thanks CD but I really don't know very much at all about sushi, I was just very familiar over the years about the most famous fish market in the world, so I just brought that attention forward. I've watched docudramas where sushi chefs would walk you through Tsukiji during a day of purchasing fresh fish. I can pull off a fairly decent rendition of sushi rice though and can make a few acceptable sushi offerings. Cheers

Last edited:
I just meant that, yes I like all the tastes - raw fish, seaweed, rice, etc. but I don't really get excited about them being rolled up in sushi fashion. I'd rather eat all those things on a plate and dip and dive as I wish and add lots of other ingredients if I want. Its the rigorous way they have to conform to a shape and only contain certain ingredients that underwhelms me.
Rice bowl.

My kids are obsessed. They both adore sushi but a few years ago we went to a Japanese place here in Sydney and they had rice bowls.

Sushi rice then all sorts of stuff on top. Raw Fish, avocado, podded edamame, furikake, pickled ginger, a splodge of Kewpie & a drizzle of siracha. Dipping bowl of soy on the side.

I
Love fish but it has to be cooked
I love all seafood and eat it any way it comes though I’m not super fond of crumbed seafood.

My kids used to break my heart turning their noses up at whole roasted or steamed fish which were some of the most memorable meals of my own childhood as my Dad used to go deep sea fishing.

They were both at least 10 before I realized they will both eat raw fish & my son will only eat it raw.

[Mod.edit: Posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Do you like sushi?

YES!

Getting on for 15 years ago or so my daughter saw sushi being made on tv and asked to try it. You couldn’t buy it where we lived so we tracked some down on a visit to Sydney. She loved it. So we bought sushi rice, wasabi, nori & a mat and she started learning, aged 6.

She started with smoked salmon, avocado, cucumber & spring onion.

Sometimes she took it to school & was teased by other kids.

These days you can buy freshly made sushi in our local shopping centre. It’s incredibly popular all over Sydney & has made its way out to about 3 hours out of Sydney. Melbourne is probably similar.

Where I stay in Sydney for work has a Japanese/Korean side of town where there are K BBQ places and Japanese places. Some more authentic than others but the sushi is 👌

Actually I have never tried sushi before however I would like to try it when a go to China and japan. For that matter I have not tried many different diverse culture cuisine before. Although tonight I am having and making ’ Ramen noodles soup bowl’ my mum and me are making it because it is our first time making this, have any of you tried it before? 🍜

I LOVE sushi, expecially uramaki, but I ate it only here in Italy so I think it was false sushi, correct to encounter italian tastes...like chinese/cantonese restaurant...

Or like "fettuccine alfredo" that in italy don't exist 🤣

When I was in Tokyo/Kyoto we ate some different (very tasty) dish: soba, curry, tonkatsu, bento with smoked eels, yakiniku, aged meat 😍 I left there my heart...

I LOVE sushi, expecially uramaki, but I ate it only here in Italy so I think it was false sushi, correct to encounter italian tastes...like chinese/cantonese restaurant...

Or like "fettuccine alfredo" that in italy don't exist 🤣

When I was in Tokyo/Kyoto we ate some different (very tasty) dish: soba, curry, tonkatsu, bento with smoked eels, yakiniku, aged meat 😍 I left there my heart...
Have to admit smoked eel rocks my world. I could also eat sashimi everyday, no problem. The rice is always the make or breaker of sushi imo.

Actually I have never tried sushi before however I would like to try it when a go to China and japan. For that matter I have not tried many different diverse culture cuisine before. Although tonight I am having and making ’ Ramen noodles soup bowl’ my mum and me are making it because it is our first time making this, have any of you tried it before? 🍜

Here is the new thread about Ramen: Ramen anyone?

Back
Top Bottom