Do you like sushi?

At least here in New England, USA: sushi grade salmon is flash frozen. Some of it is farmed, but my favorite sushi restaurant serves "King Salmon", which is not farmed but wild caught around Alaska. Salmon is practically always frozen for sushi or sashimi as it has a greater tendency to have parasites than many other fishes. Farmed fish is more prone to parasites since they are more densely farmed together, where diseases are more likely to spread from fish to fish. Wild caught tends to be safer.

I have bought fresh salmon, and immediately freeze it for a week. I have thawed and eaten this as sashimi (no ill effects after a decade or more of doing this).

All of the fish sold here in Cowboyville Arizona is either frozen solid or "previously frozen" already de-frosted.
I buy all frozen and DH loves Poke Bowls!
IMG_6301.JPG
IMG_6302.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG

Last edited:
On the topic of parasites and sushi grade fish: I have seen them first hand here in Florida. I once had to throw away a lovely black fin tuna I was so proud of catching because it had worms inside. I've maybe caught 50-60 of those Tuna and have only seen that once. Other reef/wreck dwellers like amberjack or almaco jack (which are related to the Japanese "Yellowtail" aka Hamachi) the occurrence of such parasites is more frequent. In most cases, by the time you are halfway through filleting the fish, you would know if it had visible parasites. I always discard the ones which do.

Regardless of how fresh and apparently parasite-free the fish may be, its still a good idea to freeze the fish. Bonus tip: it is easier to make thin, delicate slices when the fish is at least semi-frozen. So if you're into food styling and having trouble getting uniformly cut slices of fish, try that!

On the topic of parasites and sushi grade fish: I have seen them first hand here in Florida. I once had to throw away a lovely black fin tuna I was so proud of catching because it had worms inside. I've maybe caught 50-60 of those Tuna and have only seen that once. Other reef/wreck dwellers like amberjack or almaco jack (which are related to the Japanese "Yellowtail" aka Hamachi) the occurrence of such parasites is more frequent. In most cases, by the time you are halfway through filleting the fish, you would know if it had visible parasites. I always discard the ones which do.

Regardless of how fresh and apparently parasite-free the fish may be, its still a good idea to freeze the fish. Bonus tip: it is easier to make thin, delicate slices when the fish is at least semi-frozen. So if you're into food styling and having trouble getting uniformly cut slices of fish, try that!
I used to catch amberjack all the time in the Gulf of Mexico (NW FL) where I used to live. We just pulled out the worms. The meat had a lot of holes in it, but we just smoked it. There are a lot of microscopic parasites for sure (like in the grouper I used to catch) but I have never eaten either of those fish raw. I have eaten ahi tuna raw, rare, and seared, but that was always flash frozen first and was purchased at a market. Same with salmon and yellowtail. The tuna I used to catch was yellowfin and we used to smoke that as well. Makes an awesome tuna dip!

I've heard, and dk if it's true, that parasites when the fish is alive, stays only in the gastric/intestine apparate, and they infest meat only when by the substances they receive, they understand the fish is dead...so if you open immediatly the fish once fished and take away intestine, the meat is safe

I LOVE sushi, expecially uramaki, but I ate it only here in Italy so I think it was false sushi, correct to encounter italian tastes...like chinese/cantonese restaurant...

Or like "fettuccine alfredo" that in italy don't exist 🤣

When I was in Tokyo/Kyoto we ate some different (very tasty) dish: soba, curry, tonkatsu, bento with smoked eels, yakiniku, aged meat 😍 I left there my heart...

Sushi in the US has variations for American tastes. I doubt they serve a California Roll in Japan. :laugh:

Same with Chinese food in the US. A lot of it is not found in China. For that matter, I understand Indian food in Britain is not the same as what they make in India.

Oh, and fettuccini Alfredo is an American-Italian dish.

CD

I think the question is comparable to asking "do you like pizza?" I like good sushi, and good pizza. I have had bad versions of both, so I will never say "I love pizza" or "I love sushi" without qualifiers.

If you're a seafood lover, particularly a lover of Asian food, I'd think good sushi would be something you'd like. If you don't like Asian food in general, and/or you don't like seafood, then it's natural that you wouldn't like sushi, no matter how good it is.

To get good sushi, you need all of the following elements:
  • Fresh ingredients - Freshly steamed rice, fresh sashimi-grade seafood, fresh vegetables (carrot, avocado, etc.).
  • Good preparation - a sushi roll that's falling apart might still taste good, but it loses something when you can't eat it in one bite.
  • Good quality associated elements - soy sauce, spicy mayo, fried wontons, pickled ginger, and "wasabi"...all or none can be used if desired. Note: "wasabi" is almost always ground horseradish that's dyed green in the States.
If you love seafood and Asian food, and you still don't like sushi, there's a good chance some or all of the above elements weren't done properly. The funny thing is, on a high level, I can say the same sort of thing about pizza or any other food. If you have something that's not prepared properly, or doesn't have good quality ingredients, then there's a good chance you won't like the sushi, pizza, steak, or whatever.

I've heard, and dk if it's true, that parasites when the fish is alive, stays only in the gastric/intestine apparate, and they infest meat only when by the substances they receive, they understand the fish is dead...so if you open immediatly the fish once fished and take away intestine, the meat is safe
I caught the amber jack fishing from my friend's boat, and (they) were alive of course. The worms were in the meat, not the intestines. So I guess it depends on whether or not you consider worms to be parasites!

Amberjacks? A Complete Guide Of What You Need To Know Before The Season Opens ............ - FosterFollyNews.com.
"Tapeworms belonging to the order trypanorhyncha otherwise known as spaghetti worms, can occasionally be found in the fillet of greater amberjack. Jack and other fish are the intermediate host for these cestode worms that undergo an interesting and complex life cycle."

Last edited:
What are "poke bowls"? I had to google it because I thought they were connected to Pokemon. 🤣

So these are popular outside Hawaii?

Poke bowls are very Hawaiian. They are similar to sushi, IMO. They may be a Hawaiian offshoot of sushi.

They are gaining some popularity on the US mainland, but more on the West coast than anywhere else.

I've eaten it a few times, and made some once.

Recipe - Spicy Hawaiian Poke

CD

I'm not really sure how or when Poke Bowls came about, but I can say that I was making that for DH's lunch most days waaaaaaaay back in the day that we were workin' stiffs.
In Hawaii, Poke is a huge thing and it took alot of it to fill up my guy's tummy, and it ain't that cheap!
So I figured served over Hot Rice, some extra Shoyu, maybe some Furikake - BINGO.
I make them with not just the fish, but some Kalua Pork, Lomi Salmon, Kamaboko, anything you like really.
Very customizable.
Our favorite place to buy Poke when back home is Foodland
foodland-poke.jpg

The cold case goes on for a long ways, filled with all sorts of Poke.

Yes. I love sushi and so does my family.

We're quite fortunate that in Singapore we have a lot of pretty good Japanese restaurants with Japanese chefs and 'air flown' (I love that term) fish from Japan, so we can get quite close to the 'real deal' here.

Of course you can't beat Japan; pre-covid we went on vacation there for four consecutive years, so of course, we ate LOTS of sushi.

Here's some I ate while on a work trip when the old Tsukiji market was still open:

main-qimg-f2fa5b9df4e28989ad6e3d1d74a3af9e-lq.jpg

Can you guess what the one on the far left is?

Yes. I love sushi and so does my family.

We're quite fortunate that in Singapore we have a lot of pretty good Japanese restaurants with Japanese chefs and 'air flown' (I love that term) fish from Japan, so we can get quite close to the 'real deal' here.

Of course you can't beat Japan; pre-covid we went on vacation there for four consecutive years, so of course, we ate LOTS of sushi.

Here's some I ate while on a work trip when the old Tsukiji market was still open:

View attachment 83180

Can you guess what the one on the far left is?
Eel?

I caught the amber jack fishing from my friend's boat, and (they) were alive of course. The worms were in the meat, not the intestines. So I guess it depends on whether or not you consider worms to be parasites!

Amberjacks? A Complete Guide Of What You Need To Know Before The Season Opens ............ - FosterFollyNews.com.
"Tapeworms belonging to the order trypanorhyncha otherwise known as spaghetti worms, can occasionally be found in the fillet of greater amberjack. Jack and other fish are the intermediate host for these cestode worms that undergo an interesting and complex life cycle."
I heard it about anisakis!

Back
Top Bottom