Do You Prefer Cooking Alone, Or With Others?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
5:02 PM
I have a tiny kitchen, so when I'm here at home, I prefer cooking alone. But I actually tend to think of cooking as a social activity, I so enjoy cooking with others, as well.

I sometimes will get together with friends to make Christmas cookies, or Easter cookies, or if we're making special meals. One thing I want to do, but haven't yet, is get a group together and make tamales.

What about you? Do you think of cooking as a solitary, or social activity?

I think of cooking as a solitary activity and baking as a social activity. I don't want distractions when cooking while an extra hand is always useful when baking.

I think of cooking as a solitary activity and baking as a social activity. I don't want distractions when cooking while an extra hand is always useful when baking.

It's interesting how you've got them separated out. I've done both alone, and both together. To me, it depends on the size of the kitchen, what's being cooked, and who else would be cooking or baking with me, but I don't separate cooking from baking the way you do.

Always alone no matter how big the kitchen. Can't concentrate otherwise! Only exception would be if I'm teaching someone how to cook something (in which case, I don't consider it to be me cooking).

I prefer to cook by myself. However, if it's a holiday, I love making things with my family. Cookies are always fun to bake with others.

I have to be alone. It doesn't matter how big a kitchen is, if I'm not the only one I feel suffocated. I need my space to move around without anyone in my way

I prefer cooking alone when I am doing everyday cooking. However, if we are having guests for lunch, or if it is a special occasion when family is getting together, there would be more things added to the menu, and at those times I do not mind a helping hand. As the saying goes, "more hands make light work." I also think of baking as a fun thing to do with others.

both ,there is normally at least three of us at a minimum,at work and there is always chat and banter whilst preparing ,but during service stone cold silence ,
i do go in early some times for peace and quiet or locating produce and jobs,and do enjoy this time,
at home i like some one around to find ingredients out or equipment as its all hidden away in cupboards

I have a partner that claims she is hopeless at cooking and it is therefore best if she keeps out of the kitchen. I know this claim to be untrue, she knows it to be untrue and she knows that I know that she knows that I know, etc. We are quite happy with this arrangement and I get on with the cooking.

I prefer to have the kitchen to myself. It is nice to have help with the chopping and the clean up. Since every one has their own way of doing things it is better to let people have their kitchens and offer help when you can. I helped cook Thanksgiving dinner over my sisters' last year and we almost got into a fight because I didn't peel the potatoes the way she wanted them peeled and I am the oldest.

Definitely being alone is preferable for me, as that way people won't notice my screw ups. :happy: But on the other hand, it's good to have someone more experienced to help out and give tips and pointers. So there's benefits to both sides, I'd say.

I prefer to have the kitchen to myself. It is nice to have help with the chopping and the clean up. Since every one has their own way of doing things it is better to let people have their kitchens and offer help when you can. I helped cook Thanksgiving dinner over my sisters' last year and we almost got into a fight because I didn't peel the potatoes the way she wanted them peeled and I am the oldest.

Hahaha, I don't even venture in my sister's (she's the oldest) kitchen on the holidays, she's a control freak, and I can't handle the deep sighs.

Definitely being alone is preferable for me, as that way people won't notice my screw ups. :happy: But on the other hand, it's good to have someone more experienced to help out and give tips and pointers. So there's benefits to both sides, I'd say.

Yes, I agree, totally. I also enjoy the social aspect of it, as long as you're cooking with people you enjoy. Especially at the holidays, people seem particularly stressed out about how the meal will turn out, so it could be a lot of fun, or a lot of stress.

I prefer cooking with others because I don't like the silence. If I am alone though, I would turn up some music just so I don't feel so lonely. I think it's a great bonding experience for friends or family and you get to eat your creations afterwards. You appreciate the food even more, too!

I prefer cooking with others because I don't like the silence. If I am alone though, I would turn up some music just so I don't feel so lonely. I think it's a great bonding experience for friends or family and you get to eat your creations afterwards. You appreciate the food even more, too!

Yes, I agree about the bonding experience. I still have fond memories of cooking certain meals, many years later, and whenever I cook from those recipes, the positive feelings come flooding back. I do think cooking gives us a greater appreciation for the food, and it teaches younger generations to be self-reliant, as well.

Back
Top Bottom