Do You Prefer Cooking Alone, Or With Others?

I have a certain rhythm when I cook. I maintain a very thought out and difficult balance between cooking and cleaning. Everything finishes cooking with 10 minutes of each other. When I put supper on the table there is no mess on the counters, stove top, or sink area. And the only dirty dishes are the ones being used. I love this balance, but if someone screws up my rhythm it throws everything off! And all anyone has to do is talk to me and make me divert brainpower from the task at hand to something that isn't as important as dinner. Or if they walk in or stand in my intended path, costing me precious time.

Our kitchen is small so I just let my husband do the cooking because he doesn't want a crowded kitchen and he always complains that he needs space. When the stove has fire, our small kitchen gets hot because we have no exhaust fan. By the way, my husband is the cook in our house so I cannot speak for myself about the topic. But again, my husband wanted to cook by himself, he doesn't want any disturbances.

I always prefer cooking alone, i have my own way of doing things and don't appreciate any interference. If someone else comes in to the kitchen while i am cooking it throws me off balance and ruins my concentration. The end result is always much better when i have been left alone from start to finish, i know what i want to achieve and don't require assistance.

Usually when someone comes in trying to help i lose enthusiasm as i am very particular when it comes to cooking and have to do things in a certain way, definitely a solitary activity for me.

It sounds as if the kitchen is our domain, and on a daily basis, most of us prefer to cook alone. I must admit, I am a bit of a control freak about things like that, and I do clean as I go. I even put off eating, so I can get the pans at least soaking, if not cleaned, before I let myself sit down to relax and eat.

I like cooking and eating with others. When am alone I do not feel like eating the food that I have cooked. If somebody else cooks then I can eat without any problem. When am alone, then I can go and eat in a restaurant. I sometimes join my friends for lunch or supper.

Solo. I like to cook alone. If I have guest, I don't mind someone to help with the prep work but even that I can do without. If I must have help I would prefer if the help is with cleaning up or dove tailing as I have heard it called. I honestly don't like anyone messing with my meals: call me picky On the odd occasion when multiple cooks are involved, I still like to make it clear what I have prepared and those are times when the event is at another house or venue.

I allow my husband in the kitchen when I'm cooking so he can do the things I don't like to do like chopping onions and zesting lemons. Then when he's done, off he must go. Otherwise we're bumping into each other and that drives me nuts. I don't mind when my old friend from California is visiting though. She watches me intently and takes notes and does all the cleaning up and doesn't get in the way. It's fun to cook with her (and ego boosting), but my husband is like an energetic, big, happy dog (in a good way) being constantly under foot.

I do cook with my sister on Thanksgiving and Christmas at her house. She will assign me a dish to make and then criticize everything I do. It is not pleasant. So in most cases I prefer to cook alone.

I do enjoy cooking with my hubby as I get the chance to learn some of his cooking skills and this is a time we also use to brief each other on what's happening in our lives. These are moments that I cherished as it's not very often that it happens.

Alone....Because I am afraid to make mistakes and feel nervous when with others

Sometimes I prefer to cook alone because I am very organized when it comes to my cooking procedures. And I do not want to be interrupted because I am always concentrated while I am cooking. But sometimes also if my husband had no work we cook together and I had no choice. What I don't like is that he cooks very fast and is very messy in the kitchen. That is why sometimes I prefer to cook alone.

Last edited:
I do enjoy cooking with my hubby as I get the chance to learn some of his cooking skills and this is a time we also use to brief each other on what's happening in our lives. These are moments that I cherished as it's not very often that it happens.
That sounds like a lovely experience, and I can see why you'd want to repeat it as often as possible. I do think seeing our partners in action, whatever that action may be, gives us a greater appreciation for his/her skills and knowledge, and can bring us closer.

Alone....Because I am afraid to make mistakes and feel nervous when with others

I think that doing what makes us nervous is good at times. Is it the others that you're around that make you feel insecure, or that you feel unsure of your abilities? Have you ever taken a cooking class? Taking classes can teach us skills and increase our confidence, and even watching videos and tutorials online, if in person training isn't available, or possible, can be an adequate substitute, at times.

Back
Top Bottom