Do you prefer deep fried or ovenbake chips?

Do you prefer deep fried or ovenbake chips?

• Total voters

Sandman

Veteran
Local time
2:17 PM
I like to deep-fry my potato chips in sunflower oil, it might be unhealthy but it just tastes so good. When they come out golden brown and crunchy but still soft in the middle nom nom nom.:roflmao::hungry:

Before I got a deep fryer I used to take a big pot or rather a pot that is quite deep and fried my chips like that but it was a hassle to get them out. The best utensil I found that works is a metal one that is rather wide and has lots of holes so that the oil can drip through and then I put my chips on a plate with some paper towel to degrease them even more. However there are some pots that come with baskets so it makes things easier when wanting to take out your chips.

I like oven baked fries, but not the entirely home made ones - I prefer making them from the pre-cut fries available in the grocery store. I've tried many times to replicate them, but with no luck. They appear to be par-boiled then coated with some oil and salt before freezing - so they are not entirely fat free, but they it's just enough to make them golden and crispy on the outside. Whenever I try to duplicate those with fresh potatoes, they always seem to come out leathery and an unpleasant look and taste.

Although I love the taste of fries cooked in oil, when I am cooking at home I hate heating up a whole pot of oil to make them - not to mention it stinks my place up.

I prefer oven baked chips! Sure, the deep fried taste better, but all that oil usually does not sit well on my stomach, so I prefer not to have them. Oven baked tastes great as well, it's healthier and doesn't make my stomach rebel against it! So oven baked it is!

I prefer oven baked chips! Sure, the deep fried taste better, but all that oil usually does not sit well on my stomach, so I prefer not to have them. Oven baked tastes great as well, it's healthier and doesn't make my stomach rebel against it! So oven baked it is!
Yeah I know what you mean, too much oil also leaves my stomach feeling a bit queezy especially if the whole dish is deepfried like having crumbed fish and chips, although I prefer what we call 'slapchips' with fish and deepfried chips with chicken or egg and wors(sausage).

I prefer deep fried but I never have them! We always eat oven baked here which is a lot healthier so that's good but I just loooove deep fried chips, they are so yummy!

For the taste I prefer deep fried. However I won't be making those at home, oven baked are so much easier!

Yes, oven baked really are such much easier to make! I just wish deep fried were that easy! And didn't smell and get smoke everywhere!

Oooh, has anyone tried air-frying their chips? I've seen an advert for it? Is it Phillips who make it?

Air frying? I have never heard of that before, what do you supposedly do? Sounds strange:thumbsdown:

I have never made homemade potato chips. I better that the homemade ones are very superior to the store bought ones! I do prefer fried potato chips even though the baked ones are healthier.

As I reply to this, I'm thinking the OP might be referring to what us Americans call fries. In that case, I still prefer fried fries, but I can still eat the oven baked ones.

I have never made homemade potato chips. I better that the homemade ones are very superior to the store bought ones! I do prefer fried potato chips even though the baked ones are healthier.

As I reply to this, I'm thinking the OP might be referring to what us Americans call fries. In that case, I still prefer fried fries, but I can still eat the oven baked ones.
Jip, I am talking about what you guys call fries, In RSA we just call them chips, like a barbecue here is called a braai and sausage is called wors etc. We almost have a language of our own here!

I love deep fried potato chips a lot and I keep aside all the health factors in this regard. They are incredible in taste when they are very crispy and I enjoy having them irrespective of the time and occasion. Finally, my vote is always for fried chips :D

Air frying? I have never heard of that before, what do you supposedly do? Sounds strange:thumbsdown:
article-0-0000285300000CB2-339_634x365.jpg
airfryer.jpg

this is the air fryer! It looks great, god knows if it actually works though. It's only around £200. I would love to get one in the future. It would be lovely to be able to cut up some chips, stick them in the fryer and not worry about oil going everywhere and horrible smells. And they are done in 9 minutes!:)

I like to deep fry my chips most of the time, but if they are sweet potato chips then I bake. Oven baked just adds more depth to their flavor. I will have to try out that air fryer though. It looks really nifty!

Back
Top Bottom