Do you steam food?

My wife occasionally steams a whole fish. If I'm cooking bubble and squeak, I may steam an egg. We always steam rice and sometimes my wife will add an egg to the rice to hard boil.

detroitdad I steam/cook our vegetables to a crisp-tender, not like in when I was a kid and every thing was cooked to a mush :thumbsdown:

View attachment 85666

Our farmers market sugar snap peas lightly steamed and dressed in my homemade compound butter, YUM!

Yep, that doesn't look like anything steamed that I have ever eaten lol

When I make sunny-side up eggs, those get cooked with a couple of teaspoons of water and a lid on, so the steam can help finish the tops. Same with eggs cocotte (when I do those on the stovetop), they get a little steam treatment.

I steam gyoza and similar dumplings, I also like to steam Chinese sausage (for making fried rice); all done in a steamer basket inside a large pot on the stove.
Steamed Fish is one of my favorite dishes from back home. It doesn't require a steamer basket; the steam generated from the fish and veggies help the cooking process, which is done in a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid.

I neglected to say what kind of steamer I use.
I have that metal collapsible type and a bamboo one.
And oh my gosh FowlersFreeTime I haven't had Lap Cheong in the longest time. That's the best Fried Rice!!!!!!

Last edited:
I steam kale, asparagus and Asian dumplings. And usually I cook asparagus via alternate means (as I find asparagus very versatile).

I don't particularly enjoy fried dumplings at all, but I will steam them or put them into soups.

I doubt I've ever tried steamed fish, but who knows?

I hardly ever use the microwave any more. Mostly to heat up tea water, but if I have company wanting tea, I pull out the tea kettle. Used to use it when I'd bring in lunch to work - since that was the only way to heat anything back up.

Chinese style steamed redfish

With pan toasted enoki & bok choy with sesame and bashed cucumber with black Chinkiang vinegar & chilli oil. Rice, of course.

Stuffed the cavity with ginger, spring onions & coriander root. Tipped Chinese cooking wine over then sealed with foil. 20 minutes in a moderately hot oven.

I do not own a steamer. The question caused me to consider cooking methods that I use.
I have steamed fish in a sheet pan with a rack, sealed with foil. I cook veggies in the microwave with a minimum amount of water and a piece of foil that has been crumpled to keep the veggies out of the water. I like veggies crispy tender. I do add a little water and lid to my skillet when making sunny-side-up eggs. George likes to cook fish on his grill in a foil packet with onion, lemon, tomatoes, herbs and butter. He cooks it off direct heat. It steams in the butter and liquid from the fish and veggies.

Actually this thread reminds me of a steaming pan my ex inlaws had for cooking vegetables with three layers at the same time for saving cooking gas. I could never find a similar pan here, but I might get looking for one as it seems a wise investment with the possibility of gas prices sky rocketing this winter.

all the time. my MIL gave me an appliance when she moved to Taipei. it is TaiTung. looks like a rice cooker, but it's sole purpose is to steam. no more letting the water in the pot go dry (forgetfulness). it is full proof, so I steam often. total game changer.

here is my steamed spare ribs. I love how steamed meat dishes form the best sauce to pour over rice.

steamed pork.jpg

Back
Top Bottom