Do you steam food?

I think that you can't cook them any other way? But I've never made them.

Dim sum is a catch all name for many types of little foods. They can be steamed, cooked pot sticker style, which is a combo of steaming and frying, deep fried, pan fried, even baked depending on what they are. Dim sum is NOT just dumplings.

Back to steaming, we steam veges a lot. Seafood gets steamed quite a lot. I've been known to use the 3 tiered bamboo steamer set we have to make a whole meal, as you can add tiers as you go to stagger cooking times, i.e. longest on bottom, then next longest, then least. We use the big and little collapsible metal steamer baskets the most though.

And there's certainly nothing like using the en papillote method to basically steam in the oven.

all the time. my MIL gave me an appliance when she moved to Taipei. it is TaiTung. looks like a rice cooker, but it's sole purpose is to steam. no more letting the water in the pot go dry (forgetfulness). it is full proof, so I steam often. total game changer.

here is my steamed spare ribs. I love how steamed meat dishes form the best sauce to pour over rice.

View attachment 85719
Ooh, I totally forgot about steamed pork rubs, yum, and over rice, better!

You haven't lived until you've had Maryland style steamed blue crabs! I also steam Dungeness crabs.
:wave: hi ya CraigC good to 'see' you
And I agree, Maryland Blue Crab is probably the best crab I've ever had.

Dim sum is a catch all name for many types of little foods. They can be steamed, cooked pot sticker style, which is a combo of steaming and frying, deep fried, pan fried, even baked depending on what they are. Dim sum is NOT just dumplings.

Back to steaming, we steam veges a lot. Seafood gets steamed quite a lot. I've been known to use the 3 tiered bamboo steamer set we have to make a whole meal, as you can add tiers as you go to stagger cooking times, i.e. longest on bottom, then next longest, then least. We use the big and little collapsible metal steamer baskets the most though.

And there's certainly nothing like using the en papillote method to basically steam in the oven.
My Bamboo Steamer is 2 tiered and I load both of them up with dumplings.

Hawaii May 2012 170.JPG

There's a Dum Sum House (take-out only) that is next door to where I use to work and at the end of the week, just before I was finished for the day, I'd go over there and buy several different kinds to take home for dinner for us three. The other city bus riders gave me longing looks, sniffing the air and basically drooling all the way home :laugh:

My Bamboo Steamer is 2 tiered and I load both of them up with dumplings.

View attachment 85721

There's a Dum Sum House (take-out only) that is next door to where I use to work and at the end of the week, just before I was finished for the day, I'd go over there and buy several different kinds to take home for dinner for us three. The other city bus riders gave me longing looks, sniffing the air and basically drooling all the way home :laugh:
Ever made soup dumplings? I was in Savannah, Ga a few years ago and went to a restaurant that had crawfish steamed Maryland style. I'll stick to my boiled crawfish. I did a sack a few weeks ago.

That is a passion of mine: a method so little used, yet so easy. I'm planning a pork dish for the current challenge using that method.

I hadn't thought to mention 'en papillote' in the top post. So I suppose I should revise what I said and say yes, I do steam things!

There's a dim sum take out place not far from us that gets pretty good reviews on the food BUT there are lots of negatives on service because of rudeness, short tempers and plain just ignoring non-Asians so I am really leery about trying them.

There's a dim sum restaurant down in South Miami that is supposed to be fantastic, but it's about a 1.5 hour drive for us 1 way, interstate nearly all the way. I'd love to go but hate driving in Miami so...

There's a dim sum take out place not far from us that gets pretty good reviews on the food BUT there are lots of negatives on service because of rudeness, short tempers and plain just ignoring non-Asians so I am really leery about trying them.

There's a dim sum restaurant down in South Miami that is supposed to be fantastic, but it's about a 1.5 hour drive for us 1 way, interstate nearly all the way. I'd love to go but hate driving in Miami so...
I'd agree with you Med, but being from Hawaii it doesn't bother me. I found here on the mainland of the continental US, using the "correct terms" for this and that, I'll be asked, "where are you from?"
And when I answer Hawaii I get a long OOOOOO, so you know.

I steam in the microwave corn on the cob. Also we get here a pack of 2 bags sealed ready to microwave. I give it 4 mins the food is absolutely delicious . Contains small pieces of carrot broccoli peas and corn. Very handy to serve with a steak etc. And perfectly cooked.

Russ

I steam most of the veggies I cook - it’s my go-to method. I have silicone steamer basket, which is nice because it’s flexible and fits in a few different sizes of pots.

Afterwards, I let the leftover steaming water cool, and then I use it to water my plants - there’s supposedly nutrients from the veg in the water, the plants seem to love it!

I’ve seen one of those before. You’ll have to let us know how you like it.
Well I bought it because I used them in the UK. I liked them, it meant that a meal of potatoes and two veg were all ready at the same time after cooking in the same time. Extremely efficicient. The only thing you need to realise is the cooking temps of those foods can vary, so put the potatoes in the bottom and the easiest to cook vegetable on the top. That way it comes out right.

The veggie you put on the top gets the least heat exposure, so takes more time than cooking it seperately. But that way the veg don't go mushy, and it's all done it the same time span.

Back
Top Bottom