Do you subscribe to any cookery magazines (paper or digital)?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:58 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm thinking about subscribing to a cookery magazine once again. Last time I did this was back in the 90's to the BBC Vegetarian Good food magazine. when it was discontinued, my subscription was moved to the BBC Good Food magazine automatically for the remainder of the subscription. I didn't renew it. I wasn't interested in most of the content.

But recently I have become aware of a vegan magazine that is UK based. It started up a year or so after I left the UK, but from what I've seen on their website it seems to be quite interesting and I can get a quarterly subscription for AUD $31.50 which seems quite reasonable given postage... and it includes a digital copy and full access to all archives in digital format. (It's Vegan Food & Living)

This left me wondering if anyone else subscribes to a cookery magazine (paid for)? I'm not talking about the freebies from supermarkets (though Woolies here do do a reasonable one).
And if you do, which one(s)?

Nope. I do have several food/cooking YouTube channels that I am subscribed to. I watch those a lot.

Food Wishes (Chef John)
Bon Apetit (especially Brad Leone)
Sous Vide Everything (the best sous vide learning channel)
Sorted Food (British cooking/entertainment)
Binging with Babish

Those are some of my favorites. I watch some others from time to time.

CD

I used to subscribe to Art Culinare before the www was what it is now. With the wealth of info that is out there on the web, my print subscriptions to anything have dwindled over the years.

I used to subscribe to Art Culinare before the www was what it is now. With the wealth of info that is out there on the web, my print subscriptions to anything have dwindled over the years.

I was Senior Art Director for two car magazines. The www killed them.

CD

I think the only one I ever subscribed to was Cooks' Illustrated.

I dont subscribe to any, however if I'm at an airport I buy a mag. Usually the v8 one or a classic car one.
My wifes buys womans gossip ones. Lots of them. I've never even considered subscribing!!

Russ

Years ago in the 1980s I subscribed to A La Carte magazine, but it was only published for a couple of years IIRK, then ceased publication

Since then I've bought a few magazines on a casual basis, but not subscribed to any

I now have about 18 to 20 cookery books; a few old magazines that probably had interesting articles and/or recipes in them, though I can't remember what they were; and two box files full of cuttings & leaflets

And now, of course, we have YouTube -- plus the charity shops always have a good selection of cookery books -- as does the library

So I have a complete moratorium on buying any more cookery books, and intend keeping like that

I used to but only because I could do so free using reward points from Tesco at the time. Trouble is, I found that I really didn't learn much. The recipes, good as they were, were mainly aimed at family home cooking and not fine dining. I pretty much know how to cook those sorts of home cooking meals already. I get Ocado mag free with deliveries and the same applies. For me, its quite interesting to study the food photography/ food styling, though.

I used to but only because I could do so free using reward points from Tesco at the time. Trouble is, I found that I really didn't learn much. The recipes, good as they were, were mainly aimed at family home cooking and not fine dining. I pretty much know how to cook those sorts of home cooking meals already. I get Ocado mag free with deliveries and the same applies. For me, its quite interesting to study the food photography/ food styling, though.

A problem with recipes, in general, is that they are written to serve at least four people. I live alone, and don't like to have a lot of leftovers, so I have to adapt recipes if I use them.

CD

I do occasionally buy mags off the rack, but it's usually for some kind of special occasion.

For example, the holidays are upon us, which means I'll soon be making a trip to Barnes & Noble to pick up the UK versions of Good Housekeeping's and Women's Day holiday issues.

Nope. I do have several food/cooking YouTube channels that I am subscribed to. I watch those a lot.
Binging with Babish

CD
Same, to that list I'll add "About To Eat" (which is a channel that grew as an offshoot from Tasty), Mad Scientist BBQ and Chud's BBQ (smoked recipes and entertaining host).

Food Wishes (Chef John)
Sorted Food (British cooking/entertainment)
Binging with Babish

CD
Brad Leone annoys the bleep out of me. He comes off as "goofy frat boy". I stopped watching Bon Appetit after the 2020 implosion. The best chefs there left. Rick Martinez and Carla Music have other venues that I prefer to watch.

I do like Binging with Babish and Sous Vide Everything. The Food Wishes guy has a horridly unlistenable (to me) vocal affectation which was not there in his earliest videos. Ethan Chlebowski and Adam Ragusea are quite good.

Back
Top Bottom