Do you subscribe to any cookery magazines (paper or digital)?

Same, to that list I'll add "About To Eat" (which is a channel that grew as an offshoot from Tasty), Mad Scientist BBQ and Chud's BBQ (smoked recipes and entertaining host).

I sometimes like About to Eat, it is hosted by one of the former hosts of Worth It, which I liked a lot. About to Eat does a lot of Asian food. I wish they would do more variety.

Mikey Chen/Simply Dumpling is fun to watch. I watch it just to see how many pounds of food the guy will eat in each episode. I've never seen anyone who could eat so much food, and still have an athletic body. He's not more than about five-foot-10, at best. I don't know where all the food goes.

CD

The only cooking mag I subscribe to is Milk Street - Christopher Kimball's venue now that he is no longer a part of America's Test Kitchen.

Regards to ATK, I rather like most of the "What's Eating Dan" video segments, even if I believe he got some aspects of mushrooms wrong...

I stopped watching Bon Appetit after the 2020 implosion.

I have mixed feelings about that whole Bon Apetit scandal. On one hand, Adam Rappaport was a real a-hole, but on the other hand, the people who got paid the most were the people who had the best ratings. A few of the presenters thought they should get the same pay as Brad Leone, but their shows didn't get as many "likes."

CD

I do watch a lot of cooking videos, though I subscribe to just a few.

I have mixed feelings about that whole Bon Apetit scandal. On one hand, Adam Rappaport was a real a-hole, but on the other hand, the people who got paid the most were the people who had the best ratings. A few of the presenters thought they should get the same pay as Brad Leone, but their shows didn't get as many "likes."

CD
Understood. But I note my personal tastes there went with some of the less popular hosts on that show. I felt especially that Rick Martinez was under-utilized. And I never liked Brad. The show put people into pigeon holes. The dessert person (I forget her name, but she came out with a cookbook named "Dessert Person" after the implosion) had to spend her time there re-making what were mostly originally garbage desserts, rather than creating her own recipes. I watch her on a rare occasion - I am personally not interested in cooking most desserts - but I am glad she now has the freedom to get away from that BA format.

I sometimes like About to Eat, it is hosted by one of the former hosts of Worth It, which I liked a lot. About to Eat does a lot of Asian food. I wish they would do more variety.

Mikey Chen/Simply Dumpling is fun to watch. I watch it just to see how many pounds of food the guy will eat in each episode. I've never seen anyone who could eat so much food, and still have an athletic body. He's not more than about five-foot-10, at best. I don't know where all the food goes.

CD
Haven't seen About to Eat, will look for it. I do watch Mikey Chen and as you say out of an amazement about how much food he is able to put away, and still enjoy it.

Another channel I like - not for recipes because as with Mikey Chen, they aren't given, is Best Ever Food Review Show. Not exactly crazy about his recent ventures into Minnesota and Texas country fair foods... but otherwise I enjoy that channel. He explores all around the globe when COVID permits.

Haven't seen About to Eat, will look for it. I do watch Mikey Chen and as you say out of an amazement about how much food he is able to put away, and still enjoy it.

Another channel I like - not for recipes because as with Mikey Chen, they aren't given, is Best Ever Food Review Show. Not exactly crazy about his recent ventures into Minnesota and Texas country fair foods... but otherwise I enjoy that channel. He explores all around the globe when COVID permits.

You can gain 5 pounds just walking through the State Fair of Texas. You breathe calories and fat.

CD

I miss the Australian guy born in Vietnam cooking shows luke Nguyen, I fact I'd forgotten about him up til now. Thanks for jogging my memory. I'll you tube later. I loved his recipes.

Russ

I used to subscribe to Gourmet magazine and to Bon Appetít.
Since the internet came along, I don´t see the point any more. I just googled "Vegan Gourmet Cuisine" and got 38 million hits.

I miss the Australian guy born in Vietnam cooking shows luke Nguyen, I fact I'd forgotten about him up til now. Thanks for jogging my memory. I'll you tube later. I loved his recipes.

Russ

After the Vietnam war, a lot of Vietnamese people settled in my hometown of Port Arthur. They were fishermen and their families, and they own almost all of the fishing/shrimping boats based in Port Arthur. Nguyen was and still is a common name in Port Arthur.

CD

After the Vietnam war, a lot of Vietnamese people settled in my hometown of Port Arthur. They were fishermen and their families, and they own almost all of the fishing/shrimping boats based in Port Arthur. Nguyen was and still is a common name in Port Arthur.

CD

Like smith or jones. I know a guy who's name is michael lee. His last name makes people think hes Asian.

Russ

CD
Btw our top 3 fish n chip shops here in Christchurch are vietnamese families. Our son went to school with their son. His dad still asks me for horse tips when I go in there.
Giggle ocean fresh menu?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom