Do you use a mandoline slicer?

I'd never heard of this (its a US thing) but looking it up it isn't actually 'shaved' but pulsed to a sort of semi slush. I can't see how a mandolin could possibly achieve that. Unless you mean something else by 'shaved ice'.

I'm still quibbling about how to do that Layered Fruit Paste Desert Cup Recipe (using Turmeric) and Shaved Ice is one option, where I freeze the Fruit Paste and then sliver off pieces to put in the cup frozen. I am getting a fair idea how things will go, but as I think of it, a trip to the grocer is becoming more necessary to make it really smack.

comment from someone who did the mandolin shaved ice thing:

it works, once.
the blade(s), intended for vegetables, are very sharp and very thin - but not after shaving the ice

Good point. And I'm glad you mentioned it, so that I can forgo ruining my Mandolin Slicer blade.

Well all right! Now you folks have gone and done it. I've wound up with two deadly weapons.

View attachment 52731

I now have the Benriner No. 94 and No. 120 Mandoline Slicers. And I still have all my fingers.

I used the Benriner No. 94 this morning to prep ingredients for my Pistachio Scalloped Potatoes.

IMG_6386.JPG

Worked like a charm and no problems with cutting fingers.

Back
Top Bottom