Do you use a mandoline slicer?

This is the mandoline that I use. Since I was unsuccessfull in my efforts to learn how to get a tune out of it, I have successfully used it for slicing potatoes for Yorkshire fishcakes. I appear also to be competent at removing slices of my finger.

I actually won that instrument as a prize in a Cookingbites contest!

Hey... it does slice limes! Glad I tried it. Never thought of doing it before.

Is that blood I see, just above the blade? Those things are lethal.

Nope. I can honestly say I've never cut myself on one. I use the safety grip once something gets sliced down to be near the blade. If you use that your fingers are nowhere near the blade. Usually I use the flat of my hand if I'm not using the safety grip. But for the lime I just held the top of the lime for the small amount sliced, as it needed firmer pressure.

I have a mandolin. I use my mandolin for veggies and citrus. I have tried using it for partly frozen meat. A mandolin dose not work for meat. I have a great deal of respects for my Mandolin. Probably the most lethal tool in your kitchen if you do not treat it with a great deal of respect.

One of the reasons that I am looking at slicers is that I want to experiment with Rolled Meat dishes, like Rouladens, but not specifically that. Cheese Rolls, rolled Cheese and Prisciutto is a good example, other kinds of rolled Cheese loafs too. But rolled Meats around Vegetable slivers or Julienne cuts or around Fruit slivers is of interest.

I see some creative vistas here.

I would also like to experiment with appearances of meat meals, by creating sliced meats and using them to perhaps make meals that appear like petals of meat and vegetables (potato slivers, etc.).

Finally, given the discussion in Cold Cuts about Pressed Meats, I'd like to combine some meats that I know from experience go well together, Beer and Pork, Beef and Lamb. In the past when I have combined such meats, it was usually in a Spaghetti Sauce. I would like to try these Combinations as entrees or as Sandwich content, perhaps marinated in special ways. Doing this Meat Pressing with sliced Meats seems to me a good way to go.

I have a mandolin. I use my mandolin for veggies and citrus. I have tried using it for partly frozen meat. A mandolin dose not work for meat. I have a great deal of respects for my Mandolin. Probably the most lethal tool in your kitchen if you do not treat it with a great deal of respect.

I have read some things that hand slicers work better on frozen Meats. They sell one that has a levered knife like a paper trimmer/cutter, but specifically for frozen Meats.

One of the reasons that I am looking at slicers is that I want to experiment with Rolled Meat dishes, like Rouladens, but not specifically that. Cheese Rolls, rolled Cheese and Prisciutto is a good example, other kinds of rolled Cheese loafs too. But rolled Meats around Vegetable slivers or Julienne cuts or around Fruit slivers is of interest.

I see some creative vistas here.

I would also like to experiment with appearances of meat meals, by creating sliced meats and using them to perhaps make meals that appear like petals of meat and vegetables (potato slivers, etc.).

Finally, given the discussion in Cold Cuts about Pressed Meats, I'd like to combine some meats that I know from experience go well together, Beer and Pork, Beef and Lamb. In the past when I have combined such meats, it was usually in a Spaghetti Sauce. I would like to try these Combinations as entrees or as Sandwich content, perhaps marinated in special ways. Doing this Meat Pressing with sliced Meats seems to me a good way to go.
I'm not sure a mandolin is what you are looking for for this purpose. A good sharp knife will work much better with meats.

I'm not sure a mandolin is what you are looking for for this purpose. A good sharp knife will work much better with meats.

That's why I opened a discussion on Electric Knives. :)

That's why I opened a discussion on Electric Knives. :)

Not if you were my late mum who was left handed, when I was growing up if I wanted a slice of bread, I had to cut the loaf back to a straight line, her bread always ended in a 30 deg angle. I'm right handed and cut perfect straight lines. My daughter is also a leftie, she's like my mum, hopeless at cutting.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom