Do you use a mandoline slicer?

Thanks for the link, but maybe not for Britain

I've Surfed the Net and found enough interesting suppliers, but I have plenty of knives already. Hmmm..... you shouldn't have started that!

@zuludog
I admit to being a knife snob. I have 2 Japanese knives that I treat like children. I have used other "high end" knives, My experience is that nothing compares to the craftsmanship of a Japanese knife.

:eek: sorry - off topic.

We use a Mueller Austria Mandolin. I was skeptical about it at first but after reading a report about it on the-consumer-report.com I decided to buy it. It is now my favorite tool in the kitchen. It is on the larger size but I love the adjustability of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mom had mad knife skills when cutting potatos and cucumbers...i do not but if i want to replicate her fried potatoes or creamed cucumbers i need a mandolin to attain those see thru slices. I picked mine up at the thrift, i have no idea the brand...its white and has multiple blades and the ability to dial the thickness you want. It bit me once but once i figured out how to keep my fingers out of its mouth we have coexisted peacefully.

Never used one and prolly don't intend on doing. My knife skills are pretty good. I can cut an onion into uniform size pieces. Cut slaw by hand and you might think it's mandolin cut. It ain't. I have lots of knives.

Russ

I am looking to buy a Mondoline Slicer as I do not want to invest in a huge Meat Slicer. My needs would to be to slice Cheese and Meats, possibly vegetables. Neither do I want to get a Food Processor, as I am well off enough with a Chef's Knife. However, I cannot be so accurate at slicing Cheese and Meats with just a Chef's Knife. That's good for cutting odd cubes and small wedges, et al., not for slicing to any degree of perfection.

If I invest in a Mandoline Slicer, it would have to be a wide one to allow at least 5 to 6 inch slices, 4 inch at the minimum. A catch bottom is not necessary.

Recommendations?

I am looking to buy a Mondoline Slicer as I do not want to invest in a huge Meat Slicer. My needs would to be to slice Cheese and Meats, possibly vegetables.
Sorry but I don't think a mandoline would work for meat (it might work for cheese, but I doubt it) - they're really only designed for raw vegetables and fruit. As a rule of thumb, I'd say if you can chop something with a knife then a mandoline should work, but if you need to slice it with a knife then a mandoline won't work.

If you really want to slice meat thinly then you need the rotating blade found on a meat slicer to mimic the slicing action you'd use with a knife.

Sorry but I don't think a mandoline would work for meat (it might work for cheese, but I doubt it) - they're really only designed for raw vegetables and fruit. As a rule of thumb, I'd say if you can chop something with a knife then a mandoline should work, but if you need to slice it with a knife then a mandoline won't work.

If you really want to slice meat thinly then you need the rotating blade found on a meat slicer to mimic the slicing action you'd use with a knife.

You might be right. I'll still invest in one for Julienne Cuts for Veggies. Once I have it, I do some evaluations on Cheese and Meats.

You might be right. I'll still invest in one for Julienne Cuts for Veggies. Once I have it, I do some evaluations on Cheese and Meats.

The one I use is this one (not expensive). MrsDangermouse is right. Its not suitable for meat or cheese. OXO good grips:

Back
Top Bottom