Do you use any single-use/disposable items?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:22 PM
What disposable/single-use items do you use in the kitchen?

We use paper plates for some things (mainly toast and pizza) and we use a lot of paper towels (way more than our fair share, I’m sure).

My mom, due to her advanced age, uses all disposable cups, plates, and cutlery (plastic). She has difficulty washing anything these days, and has a dishwasher, but has trouble using it and putting heavy dishes away.

Anyone else have things like that they use?

I keep paper plates and bowls on hand. I use them to heat things in the microwave. I also keep plastic cups on hand, for use outside, so I don't break a glass on the patio. Small, cocktail size plastic cups are also good for mise en plas or for putting salsas/dips in.

I don't use a lot of paper towels. I have a large supply of cloth towels.

CD

Paper towels, that's about it.
Same, but still only use about one roll each two months. No other disposables in my kitchen except some ( unwanted! ) plastic packaging. And veerry rarely I may use some decorated paper napkins.

I have a dishwasher to clean up after parties.

Paper towels, I'd say a roll per week or 2 weeks, depending how much we are at home at all.
We reuse any plastic forks, that we may have received with a takeout. I took one to work e.g., and washed it off several times. I did take a metal one eventually, as it has a firmer pressure ability.
Paper napkins, rarely but yes, sometimes. I just bought some 3 packs of red ones, on a huge discount.
We reuse the plastic bags as much as possible, when they wear out, then it goes to recycling.

For shopping we use fabric/cotton or alike bags.

Plastic cups, I have some in a drawer, but rarely use them, I think kid might use them for a chemistry project.

Paper handkerchiefs are on hand, just in case. They are softer on the noe skin, than paper towels, so we prefer those.

<Advertising leaflets, I sometimes use them as table cover when I paint, I do have an old (clean washed) shower curtain, that I cut a little smaller, and upcycle as table cover, but it feels better for paper to be on paper sometimes, depending what I use, to prevent dripping/or absorb.

Glass jars are upcycled into food carry containers or store containers.

Only kitchen paper towels, biodegradable two sizes of bin bags, a few plastic bags for vacuum packing and freezing, and toilet paper, of course. There are probably other items that I cannot think of at present.

Other than that I have no control of what the markets and supermarkets use for packing produce but they have become more cognisant of environmental issues during the last 12 months.

I reuse plastic straws. Put them on one of the dishwasher rack pegs. Lol. Drives gf crazy. They usually end up on the bottom
Of the dishwasher so we have to remove the rack to get them.

I reuse plastic straws. Put them on one of the dishwasher rack pegs. Lol. Drives gf crazy. They usually end up on the bottom
Of the dishwasher so we have to remove the rack to get them.

I've done the same. They are virtually indestructible which is why they pose such a threat to marine animals.

Yes, plastic wrap and aluminum foil here as well. I know some people use those more than once if it is still clean, but I usually don’t, though it’s usually not clean, either.

Paper towels, ziploc bags (all sizes), paper plates, disposable gloves, napkins. Paper towels go like crazy as do ziploc bags. I only use paper plates for snacks and pizza. I now buy the cheap, plain white paper plates for this. I will use a disposable glove for my right hand when cleaning up, wiping out pans, washing the sink, etc. I don't know why we use so many napkins. I got a tip from a friend who uses paper towels. Cheaper and more absorbent than napkins so there's a new practice for me. I will purchase designed paper plates for dinner, dessert, coffee as well as matching napkins when we have people over. I'm going to stop with the matching napkins. I wish the hot cups for coffee and tea were cheaper. I wind up with a boatload of china teacups and saucers.

Back
Top Bottom