Do you use any single-use/disposable items?

Women have sensitive parts too, you know! :laugh:

I don't use disposable gloves when chopping chilli. Occasionally I've rubbed my eye but I can put up with the stinging. Ditto in other places. It doesn't last long.

I know, but we men have to handle our private parts to get them out of our pants to pee... standing up.

CD

Yes but... I won't go into further detail because...

I am off topic.
Don’t be surprised, I’ve heard tell there are quite a few guys who don’t quite know about those sensitive bits! :wink:

I’ve definitely touched my eyes and…other things after cutting peppers, but since MrsT isn’t that into spicy foods, it’s been bearable.

We try to limit the amount of single-use disposable items, but we do still regularly use kitchen roll, foil and cling film. And occasionally paper napkins if we're feeling posh (usually we just use a piece of kitchen roll).

I have a set of reusable silicone covers which are designed to replace cling film - and they do work pretty well if the bowl is the right size and shape and it is dry (if the bowl or the cover is even slightly wet they won't stay on!). And I have a set of mixing bowls with fitted lids - which are quite useful for marinating large quantities or resting dough etc. I also where possible try to use lock&lock boxes to store something in the fridge instead of just covering things in cling film or foil. But there are times only foil or cling film will work so I don't beat myself up about it.

One thing I don't get though is paper plates, disposable cups and cutlery.......is it really common for people to use them at home? I actually find the idea of using them in a domestic setting quite strange, and I don't think I can even remember the last time I used a paper plate or disposable cup at someone's house.

And for those who do use them at home....why? I can understand if you're having a party and are worried about things getting broken, but for ordinary day-to-day food or snacks I don't see why you wouldn't just use a proper plate?

And for those who do use them at home....why? I can understand if you're having a party and are worried about things getting broken, but for ordinary day-to-day food or snacks I don't see why you wouldn't just use a proper plate?

Last time I recall using paper plates and cups was probably about 25 or 30 years ago when my kids were very young and had birthday parties. In that setting they do make sense!

Last time I recall using paper plates and cups was probably about 25 or 30 years ago when my kids were very young and had birthday parties. In that setting they do make sense!
Yes that's exactly what I was thinking....they make perfect sense for parties and maybe even picnics (though we use melamine for picnics). I just can't get my head around using them for normal day-to-day eating.

One thing I don't get though is paper plates, disposable cups and cutlery.......is it really common for people to use them at home? I actually find the idea of using them in a domestic setting quite strange, and I don't think I can even remember the last time I used a paper plate or disposable cup at someone's house.
Years and years ago, before my dad retired, he’d bring home leftover (unused) plastic cups, plastic plates, and utensils from work (he worked for a soft drinks bottling company, and they had a warehouse full of that stuff for events they’d supply drinks to).

My mom loved that: “Oh, we’ll start using these, and it’ll cut my dish-washing in half!”

The frugal woman my mom was, though, it didn’t take long before she was washing and reusing all the plastic stuff! :laugh:

We use paper plates for certain things - if we’re having a piece of toast for a snack, or some snack crisps/chips, or even a sandwich for lunch.

About the only hot thing I’d use a paper place for is pizza, and that’s just tradition, as a lot of old-school pizza places always served pizza on a piece of wax paper on a paper plate - sort of like if you want the full experience of a fish-n-chip takeaway at home, you might wrap it in paper, just for the nostalgia.

The main reason, I’m guessing, that most people would use them for is that it saves on washing up. We don’t use them enough to claim that practically, though I think psychologically, I have that thought in my mind.

Also, all of the things I listed are “quick” foods, in a sense; apart from pizza, nothing cooked and something just thrown together, more snack than meal, so it just feels more…appropriate. If I’m going to have a serving of little pretzel twists while watching TV, putting those on a proper plate would feel like overkill, sort of like firing up the family jet to go to the grocery store 15 minutes away.

I think there’s also some level of satisfaction with it being so low-effort and almost stealthy - grab a paper plate, make a PBJ, use the plate to carry it into the living room, eat the sandwich, toss the plate, and it’s like you were never even in the kitchen to mess things up.

Now I feel like I need to write a book on the psychology of paper plates! :laugh:

This another thing I use paper plates for, portioning/measuring for cooking:

That’s 4oz, more or less, for supper tonight, waiting on the broth to boil.

For me, cling film, foil, kitchen roll and pedal bin liners. I don't use any cleansing wipes but prefer the traditional dish cloth kept clean with hot water and bleach.

Sorry...still not getting the paper plates thing....:scratchhead: If you have a dishwasher then using a proper plate doesn't really create any more washing up - most of the time people don't run their dishwasher totally full anyway. I use soup bowl or mixing bowl to weigh out ingredients, toast or a sandwich goes on a proper plate (or maybe just on the chopping board if I'm eating on the go), and snacks go either in a little dish or on a tea plate. If we get fish and chips from the takeaway they are taken out of the wrappers and eaten off plates. We don't even use disposable items when we're camping.

I think the only thing I can relate this to is people who have "best" plates and "everyday" plates.....I remember my parents and their friends used to have a separate dinner service (and glassware and cutlery) that was only used on special occasions or when guests were came over for dinner. I don't do this either.....for starters I don't have enough storage to have a duplicate set of everything, but mostly because I want to use my nice things every day.

Now I feel like I need to write a book on the psychology of paper plates! :laugh:
I look forward to reading it :okay:

Sorry...still not getting the paper plates thing....:scratchhead: If you have a dishwasher then using a proper plate doesn't really create any more washing up - most of the time people don't run their dishwasher totally full anyway.

I agree. But also (and some may consider this wrong), if a plate is used for a few biscuits or something else that is 'dry' then I don't wash it at all but simply wipe the crumbs off and put it back in the cupboard. Same with savoury snacks, like twiglets - unless the used plate or bowl is greasy or mucky, it doesn't get washed.

I agree. But also (and some may consider this wrong), if a plate is used for a few biscuits or something else that is 'dry' then I don't wash it at all but simply wipe the crumbs off and put it back in the cupboard. Same with savoury snacks, like twiglets - unless the used plate or bowl is greasy or mucky, it doesn't get washed.
We do a similar thing, but we tend to give things like that a quick rinse under the tap and then leave them to dry on the drainer. I do the same with my tea mug if I know I'll be having another cuppa later.

Back
Top Bottom